The Tough Topics: Slash Fiction-Burn it, Praise it, or Leave it be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Gojira Prime, Feb 28, 2010.

?

What do we (the fandom) do about slash fiction?

1. Burn it. Slash fiction is an abomination and an embarrasment.

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Praise it. Slash fiction is an important part of the fandom and should be more prominent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Leave it be. Slash fiction isn't hurting anyone who doesn't read it. Just leave those alone.

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  4. I'm not sure. This issue is too complex for me to decide.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If this post is out of line, in any way, let me know. I will remove it immediately. But as far as I know, it's in line with the rules.

First off, let's get this out of the way. No matter what kind of clever comment someone makes that you want to follow up on, whatever raunchy sense of humor you have, or connection to this sub-culture of the fandom you have; under no circumstances do I want any explicit pictures (duh) or excerpts from slash fics popping up in this thread. Let's keep it at least as clean as your average WTF@TFW episode.

Welcome one and all to a series of threads intended for serious, intelligent discussion about various "big idea" topics in the Transformers franchise and fandom. Please note, things might get pretty heavy handed, so if you're not really in the mood for that, come back later, we understand. Tonight's topic comes from the fiction. More specifically, fiction created by fans.

Now, we could all sit here and debate on how it's possible for giant alien robots to "do it" or even have gender, but that's for another thread. Here, we'll be talking about what to do about slash fiction. For those who don't know, slash fiction is any type of fan fiction that involves characters partaking in sexually explicit acts, intended to be erotic to the reader.

Weather it is or isn't depends on the individual, and that may very well factor in to this discussion. Some will think it's great, some will think it's an abomination, some will think it's just a silly little sub-culture.

So, I submit the following overarching question to the Transformers fan community: What do we do with slash fiction?

Have you ever read slash fiction?

If so, what was your initial reaction? (Keep answers to this one PG, OK?)

Did you ever read more?

Why did you go back to it? Was it for laughs? For thrills? A test of your endurance?

How many times have you read slash fiction?

For the writers out there: did you ever write a slash fiction? Regardless of weather it was published or not.

Do you feel that writers and enjoyers of slash fiction should be destroyed? Should they get a chance to be more out in the open? Or should we just leave them to thier hijinks?

And perhaps most importantly: What if younger fans were to stumble upon slash fiction?

Some things to keep in mind:

-Everyone who has ever written a slash fiction is a person. A fellow human being with a family, friends, and a life. These fics are not the product of some faceless smut machine or demonic creature hell-bent on torturing the "normal" fans.

-I don't think it's a stretch to say that a lot of us (humans in general) who have hit puberty have certain quirks to our, let's say, romantic preferences (BTW, please don't share those). Everybody has different tastes. To be perfectly blunt, some people like leather, others like metal. The former is often joked about in popular culture, but not in the same sort of damning way the latter has.

-Even the most open-minded person has to admit: any type of slash fiction dealing with subjects such as rape and torture is wrong. Just wrong. Not just on the level that these are characters from a kid's TV show, but on the level that someone, out there, somewhere, thought this sort of thing would be erotic. If anyone wants to defend this type of slash fiction, I would LOVE to hear what you have to say. And if your argument is too explicit to post here, I would be happy to PM you my eMail address.

-Most likely, the general public has no idea about slash fiction. What it is or where it comes from. If slash fiction were to become general knowledge, those writers and reader out there would probably be faced with even more ridicule than already subjected to.

And so, I let loose this rolling stone onto the fandom. Let us hope it doesn't pick up too much nasty moss, and let the discussion begin!

2. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I say leave it be.

I don't like or get it myself so I don't read it. But I respect other people's right to write whatever they want. I only ask that people put warnings, which most are pretty good about.

3. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Never even heard of slash fiction. But I appreciate it when the writer gives a warning about whats ahead.

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Actually, slash fiction as I understand it is any homosexual fiction between characters who were never said to be a couple in cannon, nor does it have to be erotic. For example Optimus/Elita-1 would not be considered slash but Megatron/Starscream would.

5. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks FL_Z...that is my understanding as well. It's troubling at best...

6. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I know "slash" typically refers to stories with homosexual relationships, but I use it as the general term for erotica for simplicity's sake.

Besides that, I'm honestly a little dissapointed by the response here. Come on, guys, this is an ethics discussion, not a news report!

7. Sorrow Six Star

Sorrow Six Star Close Countach

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I met a girl on a car forum who was a nut for a certain seeker... you'll never guess which one... I thought she was wicked cool till she started sending me homo-erotic TF art....
    I was like... huh??? I don't like them LIKE THAT!!

I don't talk to her anymore.
    kids don't need to run into those drawings on the net... but people should be able to read/draw and write whatever they want no matter how weird it is.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Fairlady Z.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Keep the well written stuff.

Yep, all kinds.

Depends.

My reaction to a well written one is the usual response to any fanfic, and that is "I don't care very much."

My reaction to a poorly written one that has sex in it is lots of laughter at the writer's ineptitude.

My reaction to a well written one that has sex in it is a horrified face

My reaction to a well written one that has sex in it as well as a terrifying twist is utter terror followed by spasms.

Yep.

Laughs. Unfortunately, most of the time, there was only sheer terror.

Impossible to count.

Nope. Considering writing a well-written and tame one though to test my abilities.

The ones who write good/harmless slashfics should be allowed to fully enjoy their hobby, and we should basically leave them alone.

The ones who write stuff like the Pokemon Story should have their computers taken away from them.

They wouldn't understand it, they'd ask their parents, and either the computer would be taken away, or they'd get "The Talk".

My honest opinion is really that people should be able to write/draw whatever they want, just make sure you warn people about what they're about to read.

10. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    And Sage continues to become even more of a complicated character.

Anyway, Good writing is good writing. That's all I have to say.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As the moderator, mainly this topic will be permissible as long as everyone follows the board rules. As far as such fiction is concerned, this site is a "PG-13" site. If anyone is considering writing such fiction and posting it, just keep this in mind.

Personally, I feel that for the bulk of this topic, I'd be mostly prohibited to share my views on based upon my previous statement. I'll just simply add to that statement that there are things that I believe are wrong for just me, but also things that I believe that are wrong universally. The op gave a good example as rape being "bad" for eroticism. The op made the case that this was not just "bad" as a personal choice, but "bad" universally.

Aside from the ethics of this topic, I've always just thought it was weird in a nerdy, strange way (not in the good sense of those adjectives). As far as Transformers is concerned, I just don't like the idea of any "romantic" relationships between characters. I've always thought it was just plain silly. Also, I access Transformers and Transformers-based fiction to not see this type of interaction with robots. I feel there are many other forms of fiction that deal with the subject matter of "robotic romance", and do a much better job.

As for human character romance, that's a slightly different topic. Since it's not the topic that the op intended, I'll just leave that one be. :) 

12. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Thank you?