The touch 07 version: Why all the hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by UltraPrimus56, Aug 25, 2012.

1. UltraPrimus56

UltraPrimus56 In the ruins of paradise

I know that the original will always be the best version of the two... But I actually find the 07 version to be a decent song. Not good enough to be the main theme of anything, but still something that I can listen to fully without turning it off. So why do so many other people dislike it?

Side note: When I was 9, I didn't know that Stan Bush was the one singing so I was like "Listen to this phony copying Stan Bush's song, I hate him". Then a few years later I figured out that Stan was the "phony", and I was like "derp".

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Because it wasn't broken and didn't need fixing.

3. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Because Some people are whiny bitchy little Geewunners that don't like little things like a song being changed.
    :p 

4. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Now that's a sure way to keep the discussion mature.

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    It never bothered me, but it seemed to lack the glory of the original. Chock full of ham and cheese it may have been, but it knew it was the power up theme for a hero. The remake, as odd as this may sound, almost seemed indecisive.

6. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    The Touch 07 used alternative metal in order to appeal to non TF fans and people that didn't fit criteria of ever getting into Stan Bush music, or Transformers...

Gordon 4 highlighted that the remake was "indecisive". Notice how this one factor of attempting to appeal to indecisive individuals that don't want to step up. Most, if not, all Transformers fans grew up with themes of stepping up to the plate. There existed moments where characters would go through some sort of slump in all the media continuities. But NONE have taken it to the level of 2007 The Touch and the live action films. NONE...

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm not sure. I guess the original fit the craziness that was the 80's over the top decade when it came to music. Maybe people just don't get the same sort of feel out of the '07 version because it didn't capture the feel of music at the time.

Plus music can be so insanely subjective. I've heard covers of some songs and thought wow what a great version of the song while the same song can be covered by another artist and I'll think hey this version stinks. It's always kind of hard to know what changes will work and what will not when it comes to music.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    The thing I find, is that the remake fit the feel of the movies in terms of its tune, and tempo but the lyrics then no longer matched: the lyrics read as is, make a bold statement. You will be kicking arse, you will be taking names: no questions asked.

So had it been included as a instrumental theme at an appropriate moment, it would have been pretty good. With they lyrics structured the way they were it would have been better to embrace the 80's power fantasy theme or omit it entirely; which they did.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Because it was a stupid song to begin with and it wasn't until the remake came out that people realized it, but instead of admitting it they just piled more hate onto the remake.

10. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I like the 07 version too. I like the mix they did in the credits of TF Fall of Cybertron even more. I feel some fans should open their minds a bit. Stan did us a big favor making a cool new version of the old fan fav song. It doesnt mean it replaces the original at all.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've never understood this idea that releasing something new is canonizing or otherwise replacing an original, especially for something like a song that people already own or will download on their own volition later on.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Well for my money it felt wrong to take a song that was genuinely upbeat, direct and heroic (cheesily so in fact) and then make its tune so dour and contemplative without the foresight of altering the lyrics.

It's by no means bad, but I'll take cheesy heroism over melancholy indecision any day.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
  14. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yeah, basically, it's like taking a cheesy song that says "You can do it, you have what it takes" both in lyrics and sound, and giving it a new sound that makes it come across more like "You can do it... (maybe, but don't be too sure of that). You (may) have what it takes... (but do you really want to bother)?"

15. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
  16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this new version very much. In fact, it's on my iPod along with Til' All are One.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's cheesy, it's over the top, loads of guitar rifts, are you kidding it's all sorts of fun and feels like a tribute to when The Touch was part of the animated movie. Fun music is fun music even if it's new music.

19. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I actually prefer the 07 version

20. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Matter of taste, I'd say. I didn't like it, prefered the original version. Yeah, the original was cheesy, but I liked that version better.