The Top Ten Transformers of 2006!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rherk, Dec 16, 2006.

1. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    The Top Ten Transformers of 2006!!!

It's that time again! Another year has come and gone and so has many new Transformers products. 2006 saw new additions to the Cybertron series including: the much anticipated Primus! There were few Alternators released this year but the ones that were, were top notch! One of the most exciting new product lines was the introduction of the Transformers Classics! This gave every Generation One fanboy a chance to relive their youth with new sculpts of established characters. To increase the Transformers palette, Hasbro also released the Titanium collectors lines. Both in 3" collectibles and 6" heavy metal robots! Overall, besides the lack of Alternators, 2006 was a good year. With the release of the movie in 2007, we can only imagine what is yet to come!

Without further adieu, I bring you the always controversial "Top Ten Transformers of 2006". There is no question that anytime you read a list, you will find something you won't agree with and that just may be half the fun.

10. Cybertron Downshift – One of the tail enders of the Cybertron series, Downshift has a great alt. mode of a classic muscle car and an equally impressive robot mode. Downshift has many cool action features and play value to appeal to almost any Transformers fan.

9. 3” Titanium Series - This isn’t necessarily recognizing any one particular figure from the 3” die-cast Titanium line but the entire series thus far! These little figures combine nice sculpts, paint applications and best of all: metal! These may not transform but look great on a shelf. I appreciate the array of characters from the many different Transformers series throughout time. Especially: Alternators!

8. Classic Astrotrain – The Classics Astrotrain embodies everything this line of homage’s to Generation One is all about! Astrotrain is very close to his Generation One counterpart but with the obvious improvements of great articulation and updates sculpt. Many complain about the colors as they better represent the Japanese version. I like the colors on this version. However, I would be very interested in seeing a repaint to better portray the grey, black & purple we all know so well.

7. Kiss Player Rodimus Prime - Rodimus is a retool of Mirage but it is almost impossible to tell. With a beautiful new head sculpt and additional accessories, Rodimus could have faired so much better on the list. The only thing that was holding him back is his overpowering bright colors. Perhaps a little more black or grey would have dulled him down a bit. Nevertheless, he is an excellent retool and one of the best Transformers of the year.

6. Cybertron Primus - Biggest does not always mean best but in Primus' case, it almost does. Primus is highly detailed and has some great play features. He is certainly deserving of the role of "Transformers god". He may not be as unique looking or iconic as Unicron but the overall quality of this toy is far greater. If Hasbro would have provided a few more paint applications, there is a good chance Primus would have cracked the top five.

5. Kiss Players Convoy - Kiss Players Convoy had some serious challenges to overcome in order to get to this spot. Initial pictures of the toy reaped great criticism: the loss of the expected die-cast metal and the cutesy half-naked Japanese school girl. However, when I finally had the KP Convoy in hand, I was in awe at how wonderful he turned out. He was an enormous improvement over the dull unfinished look of the Alternators version and the nice paint job hid the lack of die-cast metal.

4. Classics Bumblebee - Perhaps Bumblebee gets a few extra bonus points for being such a core character with so few incarnations. Nevertheless, this is a nice figure. No, he doesn't have all the high class detail or paint that you would get from an Alternator but it is nice to see Bumblebee back in action!

3. Starscream MP-03 - Here is another one if those highly controversial Transformers. Many were in shock that he wasn't an exact recreation of his Generation One counterpart and some were disgusted with the color choices. There is one thing that is hard to argue though, that this is one cool looking robot! I don't care if you were expecting something different therefore; you were disappointed, because the level of detail put into Starscream far supersedes any other single Transformer released this year. With that said, it is the minor details such as color and too little die-cast metal that kept Starscream from the number one spot.

2. Alternators Mirage - What do you get when you cross the coolest looking modern automobile with one of the slickest looking robots? Mirage! Mirage took Alternators in a new direction with his smooth and unique transformation. He was easily one of the most played with Transformers in my collection. The only thing that kept him from the number one spot are the usual flaws with Alternators that are generally corrected in their Binaltech version. The lack of a BT Mirage really disappointed me and held him back to the number two spot.

Drum role...

1. T.H.S. Convoy - I can picture all the grinning faces as many read this but I could care less. THS-02 Convoy is a brilliant set with wonderful play features! I always wished for a four inch scale Optimus Prime (besides the mediocre Action Master) but never expected to get this! The detail is beautiful, the paint applications are a plenty and he is accessorized with every imaginable thing Optimus Prime could come with. Yes, his alt. mode is flawed but it is a small sacrifice to pay for such a great looking bot. I own three of them. That is how much fun it is!

Well, until next year...

Originally posted at http://primetoystore.com/Toys%20for%20sale/ramblings.htm

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't really like the 3" titaniums line. and I only agree with you on 6 and 7, but nice list. But also if your going to include the 3" titans as a line for a spot there I think the classics line should be there too.

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I could agree with most of that list... save for 9 and 10.

The 3" Titaniums do not impress me at all and I own only a select few. They're no different than Heroes of Cybertron, just diecast and smaller. If there's a stand out best Titanium right now I'd have to say it's 6" Thundercracker and would have been a better pick to represent the line.

As for 10... Downshift's a great figure, yes. But he's not that unique, and looking so much like Wheeljack and colored like Actionmaster Gutcruncher leaves him with a bit of an identity crisis. Cybertron had many more stand out figures in 06 like Soundwave, Smokescreen, and Unicron, and even the deluxe BWX Megatron is a fantastic new figure. I'd probably go with one of them rather than Downshift.

4. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that there's a 3-way winner for biggest bunch of crazy foolishness of the year:

Alt. Nemesis Prime
    Alt. Camshaft
    THS 02 Optimus Prime

5. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that about THS-02. It was expensive, sure, but if you got a good deal on it ($35 shipped baby!) the toy's awesome. It's diecast, it has all the articulation of MP Prime in a figure as tall as a short Basic, complete with diecast Matrix, trailer, and all accessories the original Prime had, plus a few more with the jetpack and very good display stand. Superb figure.

Nemesis and Camshaft I'm with you on though, what a mess in both instances...

6. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

See my list would look a lot more like this:

Cybertron Unicron
    Classic astrotrain
    Classic hot rod
    Classic Mirage
    Classic Bumblebee
    Cybertron Primus
    Classic Grimlock
    Classic Starscream
    Classic Jetfire
    Classic Prime

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Downshift wasn't really that much of a "tail-ender". The first retail sighting dates from January 2006, and he first shipped as part of wave 5 of the Deluxe Class (of a total 9 waves of Deluxes; or, if you count the Armada remolds as wave 4 rather than wave 3.5, he debuted with wave 6 of 10).

So really more of a middle-liner rather than a tail-ender.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    This list is going to skew heavily in favor of the Classics, but it's not like most of them don't belong here.

1. Classics Jetfire - perfection, what else is there to say?
    2. Cybertron Primus - I've always wanted a model of Cybertron, and what's better than one that actually transforms?
    3. Classics Bumblebee - year's best deluxe, hands down
    4. Alternators Mirage - second best figure in the line, next to Meister.
    5. Classics Optimus Prime - great figure
    6. Classics Grimlock - love this guy, well worth the huge pain in the ass it was to find him.
    7. BWX Primal/Cybertron monkey Prime - surprisingly great figure. I prefer the Cybertron deco, personally.
    8. Classics Hot Rod - a dream come true.
    9. Classics Megatron - incredibly unique transformation that has redeemed Megs' gun mode in my eyes.
    10. Cybertron Unicron - very cool figure, even if the joints tend to be a bit wobbly.

Excluded from the list are any and all Transformers I didn't buy this year, like MP Starscream, THS Convoy, Nemesis Prime, Camshaft, etc.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I think my list is something along these lines:

10 Cybertron Primus
    9 Classics Bumblebee
    8 Classics Rodimus
    7 Classics Astrotrain
    6 Classics Grimlock
    5 Classics Jetfire
    4 Classics Optimus
    3 Classics Starscream
    2 Classics Mirage
    1 Classics Megatron

Honorable mentions (since I'm 100% biased with the Classics line) go to:

Cybertron Unicron
    Cybertron Shortround
    Cybertron Downshift
    Cybertron Metroplex
    Cybertron Crosswise
    BWX Megatron
    BWX Optimus Primal
    BWX Optimus Primal/ Megatron 2 pack
    Alternators Mirage

10. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

My list will be heavily biased towards Classics, so advanced warning has been given.

10. Megatron & Prime: Ultimate Battle 2-pack. Say what you will about the figures, but I personally cannot leave them alone. Sure, Prime's vehicle mode isn't perfect and Megs lacks a hand and elbow, but they are fun, deluxe-sized leader toys.
    9. Classics Astrotrain: He is a fun toy, with two alt modes that you can use for play. He has a gun that does nothing else, a rarity in modern times. He has a great bot mode, too.
    8. Cybertron Crosswise: He has a nice transformation, interesting vehicle mode, a gun that doubles as a jet pack, missile launchers, and a great bot mode. Lots of personality in the sculpt.
    7. Cybertron Downshift: A return to G1-style bots before Classics came out. He has a great headsculpt, even ignoring the Wheeljack resemblance. Good vehicle mode, and a colorscheme that hasn't been overdone on the cars.
    6. Classics Bumblebee: It's Bumblebee. He hasn't gotten a toy in years in the main line. This one looks great, and has a fun accessory.
    5. Classics Rodimus: Hey, I like him, and I normally don't like Rodimus as a character. He does a great job of updating the old toy, and has great detailing and a saw blade extra.
    4. Classics Starscream: Like Rodimus, a great update of the original figure. Good jet mode, great bot mode.
    3. Classics Optimus: Manages to pull off a truck mode without feeling like a rehash. His guns are great, and integrate with his alt mode nicely. Great sculpt and articulation.
    2. Classics Jetfire: I'm letting him hold this spot for the moment, because I don't actually have him. I'll be getting him tomorrow because someone picked him up for me, and I expect to really lke him.
    1. Classics Megatron: Newest attempt at a gun Transformer, and done quite nicely, even working around the safety laws. Great update of G1 Megs. Nice color scheme. All around imposing leader. He and Prime really make it feel like leader toys should just be this size class and no bigger unless necessary.

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh well, some people pre-ordered it, then got it. It got back ordered, peopla had to wait a couple more months then it shipped sooner than expectd, etc. I would say it was crazy. At least on my end anyhow. I am referring to actually being able to get those items.

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sure THS-02 will be on my list as of next Christmas, but for now it would be the classics and Primus

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would exclude THS-02 from the least (at least from the no. 1 position) for the following reason...size and price. Sure he looks cool and has gimmicks but those 2 factors kill him IMO.

Most of my list would comprise the TF Classics and MP Star-scream - which lost some brownie points because of the terrible QC.

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Botcon set (hellooo)
    Universe Devastator (yeah, that's right..I've waited 6 years for this..wanna fight about it?)
    Titanium Scourge
    Cyb. Downshift (Best. Deluxe. Ever.)
    Cyb. Primus
    Alt. Mirage
    Classics Jetfire
    Classics Starscream
    Classics...ah screw it, just cram all the classics in the bottom four spots here.

15. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

1. masterpeice starscream
    2. alternators mirage
    3. alternators nemesis prime
    4. classics megatron
    5. classics jetfire
    6. classics grimlock
    7. classics hot rod
    8. cybertron primus
    9. classics astrotrain
    10. classics optimus prime

-had certain figures gotten releases this year; alt ravage and rumble, classics skywarp, etc... a lot of figures would have been bumped off

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Here's mine. I have a couple of different entries on there that I bet at least a couple of people will agree w/.

10. Cybertron Wing Saber- I looked for this guy for 4 months, and when I finally found him I was veryhappy. All those guns and the ability to combine w/ Prime are great.
    9. Alt Nemesis Prime- Sure the price is a bit much and the mold has some serious flaws, but he makes one hell of a great display piece.
    8. WST Grimlock- I love the WST line and while this guy isn't official, he is still well worth getting. Improved sliding head and stickers for Grimlock make him a must have.
    7. Classics Starscream- Excelled in every area that MP SS failed. Awesome for the price.
    6. THS-02 Prime- Awesome little figure w/ a few flaws. [sidebar- I even saw him used as a charm on a necklace (Tman)]
    5. Alt Mirage- Probably the 2nd or 3rd best Alt/BT behind Meister and Grimlock. I really wish they had made a BT of this guy though.
    4. Classics Jetfire- Just got him the other day and I am seriously impressed. This guy is the super-homage and just simply fun to boot.
    3. MP Starscream- As much as I dislike the colors and the size, this thing is possibly the most impressive figure I have ever seen from an engineering standpoint.
    2. Classics Prime- What a great update to Prime. Looks great and surprisingly modern in both modes.
    1. Primus- the detail alone is absolutely amazing. Plus the fanwank from him being Cybertron itself is awesome. #1 all the way.

17. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

In no particular order:

Alt. Prime
    Alt. Mirage
    Classics Jetfire
    Classics Bumblebee
    Primus
    Alt. Prowl (I know he came out in '05, but he wasn't too widespread until '06)
    Deluxe Unicron
    Downshift
    Classics Hot Rod
    Classics Prime

18. GavynN.X.

GavynN.X. I want AM thundercracker

Top Ten imo:
    E Hobby Twincast
    Primus
    Classics Prime
    Classics Jetfire
    Alternators Sunstreaker
    Alternators Mirage
    Blaster reissue
    Masterpiece Starscream
    Titanium Thundercracker
    Kiss Convoy

19. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Great lists. I couldnt really make a list since I like almost everything that came out this year, with the exception of a certain few.

20. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I don't really know what would qualify as a 2006 Transformer seeing as I've bought some items in 2006 that may have been released in 2005.

My nominations for best of 2006 however go to;

The BotCon main set, Megatron and Tigatron.
    BWX Megatron and Primal and the Cybertron recolours.
    Autobot Matrix of Leadership statue.
    SDCC Nemesis Prime - Just for the controversy surrounding it.