The Titanic Truth

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ace Convoy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I wonder how long before someone finds a way to sue.

3. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marketing ploy?

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I saw this on Yahoo yesterday afternoon and was quite intrigued by the article.

Though, I think it was obvious that the surviving ship crew had covered up what really happened that night the Titanic sank. I don't know for sure if this is the 100% truth or not, because really... this is just a relative of a senior officer who served aboard the Titanic who's coming out with the account of what happened that night. Unless there is some sort of a written account from Charles Lightoller himself that specifically stated what happened that night in his own words, I can't truly buy this story.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I seriously find this hard to believe. Ballard & co. at the Woods Hole Institute did years of research on the Titanic's voyage, the iceberg, the subsequent sinking, etc. I'd be hard-pressed to believe it was all a cover-up. Virtually everything is known about that ship's journey - what would be worth hiding?

This "alternative theory" seems like something drummed up to sell literature.

6. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

As yet unheard, covered up truths of a questionable nature revealed just in time to tie in with a book.

Someone's been going to the Dan Brown school of shitty authors and dubious research.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I smell a James Cameron retcon in the 3D re-release.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    An interesting theory, especially given all the evidence of design factors being responsible for the accelerated sinking and high number of deaths. Stuff like the watertight compartments lacking sealed tops, metallurgy in the rivets leading to brittle fracture in the frigid waters, rivet and porthole shape factors that aggravated, rather than blunting crack growth, a lack of lifeboats for all passengers, etc. etc.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i thought this was known already; I couldve sworn years ago they analyzed the accident and stated that had they hit it head on, it wouldve stayed afloat longer than what really happened.

10. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I wonder if this will lead to remakes of Titanic movies.

11. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Reading the article, I didnt get the sence that they were covering up the facts of why the ship sunk, it was more along the lines of the degree of culpability of the crew in the speed at which the boat sank.
    No one can debate that when the ship hit that iceberg, it was D.O.A., but the decision to "sail on" caused the boat to sink faster was just one of many contributing factors that led to the tragic outcome.
    If just one of those things happened to the ship, it may not have been as bad as it was, it was multiple factors, weak hull bolts, the frigid water making the metal brittle, failure of the water tight compartments, poor structural design, "possible" (I say possible, because it will never be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt) failure of the crew to take the correct course of action to avoid the iceberg, shortage of lifeboats, that ultimatly led to the demise of the ship

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This woman was on Channel 4 news last night.

The crazy thing was they had another woman disputing her claims, who was actually the descendant of the steersman in question, Robert Hitchins (who the new theory claims made the mistake). This piece of revisionist history basically pins the 2000 deaths on her great grandfather.

The novelist claims her grandmother told her this story numerous times, but only years later does she get the idea to write the book when she was working on a similar book.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There was a drama documentary here on the Titanic a few nights ago and it seemed to me that it was a long list of unfortunate errors that brought the whole disaster together. Singling out one as the sole cause doesn't seem accurate.
    Time for a National Treasure-style adventure to clear their ancestor's name.

14. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm still sticking with the theory that it hit a iceberg. I think it had nothing to do with the steering.

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Was her grandmother on the bridge of the Titanic? No? Well then...

16. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I was going to say something clever, but man, I can't.

This wins.

17. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I read somewhere that the James Cameron movie actually got it right, by accident most likely. The article said the steersman in the movie turns the wheel in the wrong direction, which turns out to be the same direction as was told in the book.

I also read it wasn't his fault as he was trained on boats that had different steering mechanics.

18. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I read the same thing. Had the Titanic simply hit the iceberg head on, only the first water tight compartment would've flooded and the ship would not have sunk. Because they turned and tried to go around it, the iceberg scraped along the right side of the ship, breaching I think five or six compartments, which ultimately caused the ship to sink.

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This! Thats the one true steering mistake, that they made the natural reaction to try to avoid the iceberg and things ended up worse if they had just hit it head on while trying to stop.

20. red4

red4 Banned

I still believe...

[​IMG]

Attached Files: