The thread where we discuss DVDs that are soon to be released...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

No, I couldn't think of a cool title.

I just thought it'd be cool to have a thread where popular upcoming releases are highlighted.

I'll try to update a few days in advance every week.

Unless I forget. Then, screw it.

Anyways, if anybody feels I miss anything of merit, feel free to chime in.

For the week of August 29th:

South Park (S8) - This season brought me back into the fold, so to speak, with the 'martial arts' episode. Funny stuff. Fourteen episodes from the 2004-2005 season on three discs. I also believe this may be the one with the most absolute f'd up Christmas special of all time. (Can't use the f-bomb and Christmas in the same sentence.

Lord of the Rings (The one with both version) - These are new versions of all three LOTR movies include both the theatrical and extended versions of the films, if you didn't buy either, or are a fanatic. "Disc 1 will present the Special Extended DVD Edition of the film split into two parts (on two sides of a DVD-18) at the break point of the initial DVD release. The Theatrical version will also be split into two parts (on two sides of a DVD-18) available through seamless branching.
    Never-before-seen behind-the-scenes documentary by Costa Botes, the filmmaker director Peter Jackson personally hired (113 minutes)" Look for 'em to be pretty barebones on all the other features.

The Tick vs. Season One - 2 Disc set of the classic toon that lots of folks have been waiting on. Some funny stuff, if I recall. "After "crashing" the super hero convention in Reno, the nigh invulnerable blue-clad super hero, the Tick, is deemed the protector of "The City." On his first patrol he runs (more like "falls") into Arthur, an accountant in a moth costume. They soon strike up a partnership. When the villainous and muffled idea men threaten to flood The City, the Tick and Arthur come to the rescue. Along the way we meet Die Fledermaus, American Maid, and the Caped Chameleon. The Human Bullet cameos."

Chuck Norris: American Hero Collection - 4 disc set. Delta Force. Delta Force 2. Missing in Action. Missing in Action 2: The beginning. Braddock: Missing in Action 3. Chuck Fuckin' Norris. Nuff' said.

Arrested Development: Season Three - Apparently the funniest comedy I've never seen. This show has a fanatical following and people rave about it. "Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), a widower with a 13-year-old son, named George-Michael (Michael Cera), is forced to keep his large and dysfunctional family together after his father (Jeffery Tambor) is arrested for shifty accounting practices at the family-owned conglomerate and the Bluth family assets are frozen, making each member of the eccentric family panicing. Michael's snobbish mother, Lucille (Jessica Walter), finds herself living alone in a penthouse without the financial means to maintain it, while Michael's two brothers, GOB (Will Arnett) and Buster (Tony Hale), and his sister Lindsay (Portia DeRossi) with her husband Tobias (David Cross) and her daughter Mae (Alia Shawkat) also find themselves having to recreate their lifestyles to fit their new financial status."

Nip/Tuck: The Complete Third Season - Working second shift sucks, because I never get to see this show. I resisted it for ever until a buddy twisted my arm to get me to watch it. This show is creepy as hell sometimes. 6 disc set. "Sean McNamara and Christian Troy are two plastic surgeons running a partnership in Miami, Florida with different issues to life. Sean is a wishy-washy, weak-kneed, family man who distances himself with work to avoid his dysfunctional home life which includes his needy and spiteful wife Julia, his rebellious teenage son Matt and young daughter Annie. The more slicker Christian is an arrogant, narcissistic, unethical, ladies man who worships wine, women, and the all mighty dollar, and will do just about anything to get what he wants (lie, cheat, steal, blackmail and seduce)and has no qualms about practically anything."

Pretty in Pink: Everything's Duckie Edition - I miss the 80's. And Molly Ringwald. Classic John Hughes teen flick (and Silent Bob's favorite movie). " Young Andie is one of the not-so-popular girls in high school. She usually hangs out with her friends Iona or Duckie. Duckie has always had a crush on her, but now she has met a new guy from school, Blane. He's one of the rich and popular guys but can the two worlds meet?"
    Has anyone not seen this movie? Pretty standard double dip dvd. I haven't picked it up yet, so it'll go on the shelf between Breakfast Club and St. Elmo's Fire.

Darkwing Duck: Vol. 1 - 3 disc set of the Disney toon. "In the city of St. Canard, they are plagued by the most bizarre criminals, but they have a protector as well, Darkwing Duck. This bumbling and egotistical superhero battles evil in that fair city with the help of his dumb pilot sidekick, Launchpad McQuack and his rambuctious adopted daughter, Gosalyn."

Desperate Housewives: Season Two: Extra Juicy Edition - I've never watched this show, but I have thought about giving it a try. That is, until all the sorrority girls wore DH Greek shirts the first day of class. That's all she wrote. But whatever floats your boat. Unless 'Extra Juicy' means Terri Hatcher nekkid. "In its first season, the show reveals the mystery of why Mary Alice took her own life and the quest by a mysterious "plumber" named Mike Delfino (James Denton) to find out the fate of his former lover, drug addict Dierdre. By the end of the season, the show resolves the mystery with the revelation that 15 years ago, when Mary Alice's name was Angela Forrest, she buys the heroin-addicted Dierdre's only son Dana, and then flees with her husband Todd (now Paul) to Fairview (the town Housewives is set in) to keep the child (now named Zach) from being taken away from them. When Dierdre finds them, Mary Alice refuses to give up the child. Upon being accused of being back on drugs, Dierdre hits Paul (Mary Alice's husband) and goes to get her son. Mary Alice, shocked, murders her, checks her arm for signs of drug use (she was not), and has her horrified husband dismember the body, put it in Zach's toy-chest, and bury it where the family is building a new pool in their backyard. All this happens while a 4-year-old Zach is watching them from the staircase. What Mary Alice does not count on is that one of her neighbors, Martha Huber, learns of Mary Alice's secret from her sister, Felicia, (with whom Mary Alice had worked before coming to Fairview). After learning the secret, Martha attempts to blackmail Mary Alice. Rather than face the blackmail, Mary Alice kills herself. Later, when Paul finds this out, he kills Martha after she tells him she does not have any regrets about her blackmailing and its result. Mike (Dierdre's former lover) learns of this information from Paul whom Mike leaves in the desert (rather than killing) after Mike realizes that Zach is his son."

Trilogy of Terror: This was a made for tv movie from the mid 70's. I saw it when I was a kid and that doll freaked me the hell out. "Dan Curtis, the creator and producer of such out-of-the-ordinary TV classics as the willfully offbeat gothic soap opera Dark Shadows and the proto-X-Files series The Night Stalker, remains best known for the Zuni fetish doll that terrorizes Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror. The wild-eyed doll, with its snapping jaws and screeching yells, borders on camp, yet its relentless attacks and single-minded, homicidal drive make it an absolutely terrifying figure in the climactic chapter of this trilogy of short films based on stories by Richard Matheson. In the first story, "Julie," Karen Black plays a mousy college professor blackmailed by an obsessed student, and in "Millicent and Therese" she plays sisters consumed with an intense hatred of one another that comes to a head when their father dies. Both of these films conclude with Twilight Zone-ish twists and are more clever than gripping, kept alive mostly by Black's gleefully theatrical performances. With "Amelia," however, Black delivers an almost solo show, playing against the famous Zuni fetish doll, a wooden statue that comes to life when the a protective chain slips off the figure and releases the evil spirit. Curtis turns her apartment into a claustrophobic cage trapping the increasingly hysterical woman as the unstoppable figure hacks at her legs with a kitchen knife and chomps down on her arms and neck with the relentless intensity of a bulldog. It's still a classic of small-screen horror."
    Of note here is the fact that they are based on (and I believe the teleplays written by) the work of Richard Matheson. And if you don't know who he is, well, you're missing on one of the most influential writers of the last century.

Personally, I think that is the coolest of the bunch from the 29th.

However there is also:

Romancing the Stone
    Jewel of the Nile
    Some Kind of Wonderful
    TMNT (v5)
    Stephen King's Desperation
    Will and Grace (s5)
    Akeelah and the Bee
    The Sentinel

Discuss amongst yourselves. I'm tired.

2. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

In regard to Matheson:

One of his stories was made into one of the first season episodes of "Master's of Horror' on Showtime. The episode "Dance of the Dead".

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

My roommate will be totally psyched to hear about the Tick toon. Now if they'll only release Sam and Max....

4. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only ones there that appeal to me are Darkwing Duck, The Tick, and TMNT...

I am still just a little boy inside :D 

5. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Finally! Ive been waiting for Arrested Development season 3 for what seems like ages now! I cant wait to get it!!! :D 

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Nip/Tuck Season 3 was great. I highly recommend it to any casual fan of the show. A plot that left you guessing, and just when you thought you had it figured it out, it throws in an extra twist you didn't see coming.

7. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Oh hell yeah! The few episodes I have on VHS just aren't enough. Hopefully a Sam and Max set will get the green light soon.

8. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Awesome news on the Tick, and even better on DarkWing Duck, that series was all kinds of awesome...

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I gotta have season 8 of South Park. The first episode where they have the ninja weapons was my favorite of all episodes!

As for the Tick, I've been waiting for something like this ever since I watched the show when I was little. It's gonna kick so much ass to relive it. Nostalgia ahoy!

10. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

"Fire me boy!!!"
    "Does your mustache ever hurt you?"
    "What good is science if it doesn't hurt anyone?"
    "Rah bah bah...."
    "He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste the entire world."

I love the Tick Animated Series. An all time favorite. But I already have the whole series on bootleg DVD. So I'll probably pass until they offer a complete series DVD set, hopefully in a cool Tick head box or something.

Also, I think MST3K volume 10 comes out next week too. Gotta have Godzilla vs. Megalon because I'm shocked they got the rights to put it out on DVD at all.

11. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just the good old Bluths for me next week.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I am totally down with the clown for AD Season 3. It may possibly be my favorite sitcom ever.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    *plays The Final Countdown*

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's an illusion. A trick is something a whore does for money. Or candy!

AD = greatest situational comedy ever.

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm still waiting on the next wave of DS9 price drops along with the final installation of Farscape.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Revamped 3-Disc release of Akira Kurosawa’s classic Seven Samurai comes out September 5th :D 

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=2

Never have I ever been this excited over a DVD release then this one, and a re-release at that. I have Criterion's original release and it looks like they've outdone themselves. This is my #1 all time fav flick of all time without question and not only have they added all sorts of special features to this release but more importantly it looks like they held nothing back in restoring this masterpiece to the level it most certainly deserves. Been waiting for a release like this for years too as this was one of the first movies Criterion ever did which was years ago and restoration technology has advanced so considerably. Not to mention the current versions are noticeably worn in terms of quality I cant wait to see what it looks and sounds like truly restored in sound and picture. They have done wonders with his other movies in restoring them and its about time Seven Samurai got the same treatment.

Cant wait!

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    GA GA GA - GA GA GA - GAOGAIGAR
    GA GA GA - GA GA GA GA - GAOGAIGAR!

GAOGAIGAR! TUESDAY! FINAL FUSION APPROVED!

I'm excited. sorry.

18. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

That's awesome. Seven Samurai is a great flick that is woefully underrepresented on DVD. I know it was their first DVD release in the early days of the format, but the current Criterion disc is severely lacking compared to their later offerings and long overdue for a new release. Yay for Criterion for doing it finally!

19. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

How about the release of Gojira on Sept 5? I'm looking forward to that one. And I just want to kick myself cause for the first time in all their releases, I didn't pick up The Simpson's Season 8 on release, just fond out it came out this afternoon! Man, am I getting old!

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I'll be snapping up Arrested Development in a heart beat. The last season was solid, and it final few episodes brilliant.

No way my wife will be able to pass up The Tick, so I won't have to plunk down for that one.

Desperation just sucked, and even my King-slaving wife agrees. Total pass.

I already have Trilogy of Terror. Not so scary when you're not four years old anymore. A decent pick up, but not worth a double dip for me.

ak - the last two sets of DS9 should have dropped now, or will very soon. Check ziontrader on ebay - I got them both at a very good price before the price cut.