The Thing (1982) and upcoming prequel

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I don't think it is really meant to be watched first. Think of it like Star Wars, you watched 4-6 when you were young, you know how it was gonna end, but they want to show you how it began. Again, like Star Wars, I am sure that some people want to just have 4-6, and could care less about before, but some want to see what happened in the previous time that they keep referencing.

2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I see where you're coming from. I get it, I honestly do, but Star Wars was full of ideas and long story threads. The Thing is "alien in ice, people let it out, WTF is wrong with Bob and why is there a head growing out of his neck?!".

You kinda need to see the entire Star Wars saga to get the whole feel of it all. The Thing...it's a one shot deal. It lessens it's impact and it's wow factor if you take away the suspense and the thrill.

A sequel could work, because there's still so much that could be told, but we already know the people in the prequel met a horrible demise.

3. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I lived with watching the Original Trilogy for how many years before the Prequels? To be honest, I rarely watch the prequels anymore. The OT does just fine, I can't imagine watching the Saga in the order of 1-6 when being first introduced to it. I think it would ruin it for me, as I have seen plenty of people go the complete opposite(i.e loving 1-3 and not so much 4-6) granted it is a younger group.

I don't think it takes away the suspense and thrill. If you go back and watch The Thing multiple times, does it take away the suspense and thrill, when you already know what the dog is, or who is a Thing? At that point, what is wrong with knowing what is going on that leads up to it. When you look at the movies that do prequels after the fact, another example Underworld, you already know where the road ends, but you wanna see where it begins.

There is still plenty to be learned from a prequel. In The Thing, they tell you there was an alien ship, who found it, and you know that they go after the dog. I know we don't need it, but you can watch it and go from there. If it lives up to what you feel, than accept it. If not, just shun it and never watch it again. It worked for Star Wars!

4. Avengercon

Avengercon Banned

So let me get this right, this film is a prequel to the original film which was a remake.

Can't wait to see this, finally a good horror film classic back in cinema's again

That chick is hot whats her name?

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Gorgeous woman.

6. Avengercon

Avengercon Banned

Here are some of the creatures in the new film

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's already been stated that those may just be examples of the style of monster in the movie.

They look a bit too static to be anamatronics.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the "Kenny's" ("Cosby Show" reference) of the boards...Just because his brother says it sucks, it has to suck.
    Criticism of something comes from knowing what is good or bad about a topic.

i admit that i owned a VHS copy of "The Exorcist for over 15 years and NEVER watched it, (i couldn't watch it alone- too scary) but i didn't dismiss the film.
    i read the script once, read my mom's copy of the book instead. and i appreciate the work.

So "Jaws" is just a jump and scare, slasher movie, too? by default then, that would make Moby Dick the same thing.
    With SW or this new Thing project, i wait and see. if the prequel blows, i'll keep my copy of the 82 film and be happy. if it is great, i'll add it to the video shelf.

one more thing. i hate this notion that old movies suck because they lacked tech or visual FX.
    There are terrifying movies from all parts of cinema history.
    the 60s, original Night of the Living Dead, Hammer Horror films, there are great horror fims out there that don't need wizardry to scare me.

9. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    The red band trailer is out and I am underwhelmed. The creature effects look pretty CG to me, but it's hard to really tell from the short glimpses. With the exact same premise, similar character types and a known ending, this prequel is gonna have to bring something extra to the table or it will be pretty fail imo.

The Thing (2011) - Red Band Trailer Video - IGN

10. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So I am planning on taking in The Thing prequel this weekend. I just don't have high expectations after the last few weeks of TV spots. Hoping I'm wrong and that it turns out to be at least enjoyable.

11. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was planning to, but after reading some of the AICN reviews, I'm thinking of reconsidering. However, I'm not sure if I want to take in Footloose...even if some say it's good.

12. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I just got back from seeing it. As a HUGE fan of the Carpenter version I say it's worth a viewing. It's got a sorta lame ending, and it's kinda tame with the creature design but it does add a tiny bit to the story and it's entertaining.

Oh and yeah, none of those creatures on the last page are in the movie.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just saw it today to, and I was also a huge fan of the previous movie. I would say this- watch the 80's version first, then go see this. I can't really think of a recent horror movie that's actually quite as horror filled as this- the designs were creepy as hell and there's some good scares. Of course I don't think it's as good as the 80's version overall but I didn't expect it to be. Overall I recommend to any horror enthusiasts.

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Well, I'm slow on the uptake.
    Just finished The Thing (1982) today, thinking the prequel would be released next week...
    The 80's version is really fun. I certainly enjoyed it.

Is the prequel suspenseful or are the scares just jump scares?

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it has both. I did jump a few times, but I EXPECTED to jump more, so it is suspenseful but with a few jumps. Like I said, I still like the 82 one better, but this is a decent prequel. I haven't read reviews online, but I assume that since I was entertained, the reviews had to be terrible, which seems to be the way.

16. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Saw the prequel today. My verdict? Good, but not nearly as good as the John Carpenter version.
    I thought to myself at one point in the film, "This is like the first Alien vs Predator, but written intelligently," because of similarities in plot points. And if it had been part of a franchise like AvP, or even Aliens, I would've walked away saying, "It's SO much better than anything they've done in decades!"
    But it's following in the footsteps of two great films. And it's not that scary. The original "Thing from Another World" held more scares for me.

If I were to grade the movie, I'd give it a B. Not bad... but not great.

17. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

I just saw it the other day and i had fun with it! a very cool prequel to the 1982 masterpiece of Sci-fi horror just in time for Halloween, it's better than any of that Paranormal Activity crap.

I'm heading off to Universal on the 26th in Orlando for 6 days in Disneyworld and Universal to see HorrorNight's stuff including their "Thing" maze which should be scary.

18. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm. Not much feedback here. Mustve sucked for most?

Just saw it, liked it. Nothing mindblowing but dug the reverence to the original movie (like the bit with the axe in the door) n good enough in pushing questions from the original (more of the ship for instance).

Looking fwd to a follow up based on the open ending with the chick n the distance to a russian camp.

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I haven't seen it yet, I figured, I can probably wait til DVD/Blu ray.