The Thing #1 A "Pull My Thing" Review

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ZacWilliam, Mar 26, 2006.

1. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A Pull My Thing Review- The Thing #1

Marvel’s current Thing comic is in desperate danger of being canceled unless stores start ordering more ASAP. The only way that’s gonna happen is if folks add it to a pull-list ASAP. So the writer and artist have put together a big contest to promote it. http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=64296
    I don’t care about the contest, but I do care about the book.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? Because “The Thing” is exactly the sort of comic people lament that no one writes anymore: No endless decompression, no post-modernism, no depression, no ignoring continuity *or* being mired in it, no too cool for that whole superhero thing jerks we’re going for gritty realism. Nope, not here. A GOOD, FUN, WELL WRITTEN MARVEL SUPERHERO story with a likeable, heroic lead, an understanding of the Marvel Universe, guest stars and colorful classic-style villains new and old bright and well illustrated in a likewise classic style. IF YOU LOVE SUPERHERO comic books chances are THIS IS THE TYPE OF BOOK THAT MADE YOU LOVE THEM. And that’s a rarity that should be supported nowadays.

To help give folks a taste of what the book’s like I thought I’d do a detailed review of Issue #1:

Start with a quick one page recap of who the Thing is, narrated by Aunt Petunia’s own favorite nephew. The recap quickly and effortlessly covers who Ben Grim was, how he became the Thing, and raises the question that’s at the heart of the new series. “No single adult male spends ALL his time with his family, so what does The Thing do when he’s not out with the FF?”

Page 2 answers the question by throwing us right into a slam-up fight in down-town Manhattan between Ben, Goliath, and the best new concept for a classic-style Marvel villain this side of Kurt Busiek’s original Thunderbolts run (which this book actually reminds me a lot of btw): Cauldron: The Scalding Man! Try as he might, the Scalding Man’s corrosive contents are no match for the Thing’s rocky hide and he ends the fight with a classic “IT’s Cloberin’ TIME!” that sets the onlookers and even Goliath cheering.

In the aftermath of the fight we’re reminded that Ben’s recently come into enough cash to make Tony Stark pause as the media descends and bystanders suddenly develop whiplash. Cauldron (speaking through a dented face): “Me, too! I got Whipwaff, too!” He’s a really fun villain. :)  Even Goliath turns out to have called Ben to ask about making an investment in his latest gadget. Add an off hand comment about Alicia, Ben’s old flame, and the idol o’ millions leaves feeling about as down as he was up a few pages earlier.

Speaking of Alicia we cut to her reading about Ben’s new wealth and the bimbette actress he’s currently seeing. Despite clear disappointment in him she seems very happy with her current man: Mr. North. Just kinda wrong that she should be happy with someone else. They shoulda worked out, despite all the stories that have got in the way. (Exactly the thinking that caused Goliath to accidentally hurt Ben’s feelings) I’m sure this will be dealt with in more depth though as the series goes on.

From there we get a quick peak of some classic Marvel characters opinions on Ben’s new status quo. Ironically Peter Parker talking to MJ thinks Ben’s too much of an everyman to be dating an actress/model and having a butler, as Jarvis serves them tea. ;)  Wonder Man and Ms. Marvel discuss how Ben’s superhero poker nights are less fun now that money has no meaning for him. And (after saving Johnny from a classic Bone-headed move of stealing Ben’s hoverbike ) Reed talks about having a failsafe in place, if and when Ben’s new situation implodes on him.

Getting back to our hero, Ben’s trying to be happy at his luxurious new home with his mostly naked current fling. We quickly learn that she’s not the nicest woman around as she’s currently on the phone taunting a Paris Hilton clone about not being invited to the party she’s throwing with Ben. Paris freaks and heads off to an Abandoned Amusement Park, which you know can mean only one thing: Super Villain Hideout. And sure enough, a few death-traps later and she’s hired a glowing white suited hologram to make the party she’s been snubbed by a “killer”.

Ben warily arrives at the party to find in surprise that he’s the current flavor of the month among the wealthy. Everyone’s thrilled to see him and there’s even a collection of Alicia’s statues of him in all his forms (Original Lumpy, Classic Rocky, Helmeted, and Pineapple neat to see them all remembered) on display. Though we see one of the statues has more than just rock inside, as its eyes open.

Inside, guest Tony Stark notices and confronts the alter ego of the some-time super villain Constrictor (although it seems Slott’s remembering an old Marvel Comics Presents where he was more positively portrayed. This is pretty cool in my book since I’ve always been a bit of a Constrictor fan). Stark’s being a bit of a jerk (although understandably so) about the villain thing, when Kyle Richmond (the Defender called Nighthawk, we’ll soon find out if we didn’t already know) comes to Constrictor’s rescue and tells Tony to give the guy a second chance. Definitely a high superhero count at this party, that’s just asking for a super villain attack. And sure enough…

Outside Ben starts to give a speech and just then the statue comes to life and lets loose with a sonic attack that takes out everyone but Ben, who fights back and knocks it’s block off only to have the chest pop open and an evil looking astro-boy type blast him unconscious as well.

When Ben comes to he finds himself, the guests, Constrictor and Nighthawk (both now in costume and confused about it) on a beautiful tropic island beach. That’d almost be great, except we see on the next page Arcade and his astro-boy standing in front of what seems to be a C’thulu themed Disneyland rising from the jungle and announcing they’re all invited to Arcade’s Murderland: The Deadliest Place On Earth!

Overall, like I said, a really great first issue, with TONS of content, characterization, plot, and fun (take *that* decompressed comics). I mean more happens here than in any three issues of some books I could name, and it doesn’t feel rushed at all, it feels full of comic book goodness. The art is kinda a cross between Paul Ryan and Mark Bagley and perfectly suited to this sort of story.

My Grade: A solid “A”

Hopefully this review has motivated at least a few of you to give the book a try. But if you want great Marvel action in the CLASSIC Marvel style to survive on the shelf, then PLEASE, add “The Thing” to your pull-list at your local store today and help keep it alive. :)  If you don’t it, likely wont be around for you to get in on the trades.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hmm. sounds promising. maybe i'll give it a shot.

...btw, the comic ties in with the current she-hulk, as we see shulkie refusing bens request for representation, seeing that her firm already represents cauldron who's suing ben, teehee.

edit: ah, slotts writing it. figures. i am on this motherfucker.

btw, howd ben end up rolling in it?

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I should have mentioned Dan Slot (She-Hulk, GLA) is writting and Andrea Divito is Drawing.

I believe Reed had been putting aside some of the money his inventions made in a Trust just for Ben and decited it was finally time to give it to him.

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I just cant like the THING. hes a lame character. the hulk owns him.

5. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Defend your position, sir. (Beyond the five year-old response of, "Hulk is sooooooo much stronger and bigger and cool and so much better than orange rock guy!")

How is the character lame, especially given Mark Waid's recent run and his representation in Ultimate Fantastic Four?

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

Ultimate Thing is awesome. I like his character development, I just havent liked the 616 thing in a long time. or the regular fanstatic four for that matter. And I like the hulk more because he is stronger, and he has regenerative ablilities, plus he has the hulk jump, and he can beat the thing up. Im sorry that may sound like a "5 year old" response, but sometimes thats all there is to it.

7. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    So, to you, a character is "cool" because of their specific superpowers.

So, your all-time favorite character would be Superman, and your most loathed character of all time would be Batman, right?

No, I'm not being serious. But that's how the argument comes across. In any case, did you read Mark Waid's run? Where he kills off the Thing, and the F4 go to "Heaven," etcetc? I don't read much FF, but goddamn, that run made me care, and become genuinely interested, about Ben. If you liked U-F4, I think you might Waid's work as well.

In any case, I don't think I'll be picking up Thing. I'm in the crowd that prefers the darker, grittier, yet not completely pathological, superhero titles with plot-twists and shocks abound, where the characters are screwed up but not ridiculously so, and where the violence is at a comfortable, not-too-over-the-top level. It'd be sad, though, to see a book like Thing that's different from all that, catering to a different audience, go off the shelves.

EDIT: And, oh god, your sig...the image is fine, but the text above it...I'm hoping that's some kind of in-joke with the people on this board. Just... :banghead: 

8. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Marvel has already pulled the title from their subscription form in their last web update, so draw your own conclusions about this book's fate.

9. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Jeebus, after one issue?? I tend to give a comic 3 issues to capture my interest...really surprised Marvel doesn't give its new titles the same chance if they don't perform as well as initially expected.

10. Superman_Alpha

#5 ships this week. But axing it shouldn't shock anyone. Most new Marvel or DC comics don't last longer than 18 months anymore unless the book is replacing an existing long running title. Like Captain America Volume 5 or Green Lantern Volume 4.

Hell, Marvel has started retroactively turned a number of ongoing titles into mini-series (like Arana) so that they can pretend they aren't really cancelling yet another book.

11. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

No thats just a random text the only thing that stays the same is my SN. thats it.

Superman isnt my favorite Mr. Majestic is, he is more powerful after all. ;) 

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I read most of the first issue of Thing, and while I enjoyed it (especailly the bit with Peter, MJ and Jarvis), it just didn't interest me enough to purchase.

It would be a shame to see it go, though. We need more like-hearted comics like this.

13. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Yes, the random text generator, ie, the picture, that is fine. However:

I'm sorry, man, but that's just really sad to put in your sig.

14. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

no whats worse is the guys who try to show off there e penis by saying that they have 4000 transformers. no my having sex with women isnt sad. its great. and i love doing it, but were off topic, you want to continue this conversation. we can take it to PM.

15. Superman_Alpha

Dude, you're like school on a Saturday. No class.

16. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    I wish we could still give rep points here (to superman_alpha). :( 

17. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

aw, so you could give me some negative rep? Look man drop it. its done. im sorry i dont like the thing.