2D Artwork: The "Then and Now" thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Dreweido, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got an idea from Venksta's thread about how we all start off with our respective arts "crudely" unless you're awesome from the start.

So with fan art going into the upswing again (4-5 years ago you could walk in here and see fan art by Don, Joe Ng, Guido, Espen Grundertjern etc and then they got so good they got jobs which left the fan art with a new "generation" to take up the "slack") we all need some momentum to keep us going at what we do.

What better way then to show some humility and post our first shot and our latest shot. Now, if you don't have that picture of Prime you drew in 2nd grade from the 80's that's cool... I was thinking with more modern practices :)  Take a look at how far you've come since you first started and think about how much better you'll get!

I'll start things off:
    Rollbar/Swindle by littleiron, colors by me
    [​IMG]
    Classics Megs by Acid Wing, colors by me
    [​IMG]

2. Teflonknight

Teflonknight Duck, I have a Boom Canon

Your first drawing is huuuuge levels above anything that I could do. Your art is good.

3. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    haha i didn't draw them... whoops

here's a lesson, kids: always give credit to the artists!

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i think i actually regressed:

then:

[​IMG]

now:

[​IMG]

nah, kiddin' :D 

i used to spend more time on a piece (drawing with pen/pencil, coloring with PS over 2-3 days) but these days ive been doing brainfart quickies (drawn with mouse and simple colors in PS in 1-2 hrs).

drawing wasnt a problem (inking was tho and i'm still learning and wildly inconsistent), but there was a learning curve for coloring, even when i was already proficient with PS (but for other type of works).

great thread idea drew!

5. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    lesseeee
    drawing
    then:
    [​IMG]

now:
    [​IMG]

and coloring :D 
    then: [​IMG]

now :
    [​IMG]

pretty crazy :D 

6. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

Ka I could marry you'r first picture its that good . (i mean the actual picture not the girl in int lol) and josh is there a bigger version of that last picture? iiitttsss brilliant

7. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    Interesting, aahh, the old days....... [looking to the sunset]

cough

Well, my earliest lines are lost, but I never showed them on internet, so ... nevermind, I do keep stuff from 2002.

[​IMG]

The left one was penciled/inked by my brother and also my first color work.

[​IMG]

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Josh, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think colorists/inkers are still probably the most underrated and/or taken for granted contributors to comic art, and that you guys should get AS MUCH credit as the artists who pencil the stuff that you ultimately bring to life.

The thing that always kept me from getting into comics more when I was younger was the lack of good coloring. Yeah the art might have been great and whatever, but if the colors weren't literally leaking off the pages in rich, thick density & saturation, I just wasn't interested.

Now that's not to say I think that the original art isn't as equally important. IDW's Transformers stuff is a good example of that. The colors are everything I would expect by today's standards, but the (just in MY opinion) overly awful art still keeps me away from it.

Don't really know where I'm going with this. I guess cutting to the chase, I just wanted to remind colorists/inkers such as yourself that some of us out there respect your work as much, if not more so in some cases, as the art itself. The detail of that Stormbringer collage is a perfect example of what coloring should look like, and I hope you continue to get more work doing it... especially in the TF universe.

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This is going to be funny. The "then" pics are the first 2 pieces I ever displayed on the net.
    Then:
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

Then:
    [​IMG]
    Now:
    [​IMG]

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Then:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now:

I don't do fan art any more :( 

11. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    man D_C, you should keep at it, those materials you have on Megs there are pretty good! The models not bad either :) 

why did you stop?

12. Dark_Convoy

It sounds really stupid, but I didn't feel like I got anything out of it, there was no satisfaction in it, plus it seemed like I would work for hours or even days on stuff, I'd post it and it would often just get overlooked, or perhaps I just thought it did, I don't know.

I keep wanted to get back into modeling, I'll even fire up 3D studio max sometimes but I just end up staring at the screen and don't do anything.

13. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    well in any case man you've got some serious ability hiding in you for it, how long did you model for?

Have you ever tried rigging or animating them?

14. Dark_Convoy

I have (had) been modeling since 1996 of so, I started with truespace 1, I have done some rigging but I was mostly into modeling and texturing.

I have had an idea in my head to do a realistic Optimus Prime that transforms like MP Convoy/20th Prime but turns into a "real" 1970's Freightliner semi, maybe I'll actually get around to doing it one of these days.

15. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Darn it Josh, how many times must I tell you to stop flaunting your god-like prowess here!!!!

16. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You, my friend need a Muse. :) 

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
  18. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heres my first Optimus model. Done in Lightwave, rendered in Bryce3d.

[​IMG]

And here is my 2nd model. My fan character Knight Streak. Done in Lightwave, rendered in Bryce3d.

[​IMG]

Took me awhile before I started making any TFs that looked good. Don't have anything new to show, since none of my current projects are actually finished. But these pictures show off where I started. I actually was working in Bryce3d before I even started modeling things. The Prime model was done in late 1999. So its been ages since then.

19. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Well, I think this was my first tf art related post on tfw some moons ago...
    [​IMG]

And present day--the Myth BW Galvatron concept.
    [​IMG]]

Yah, I definitely have a long time to go.:) 

20. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

This was from,,, I think the late 90's I had access to a document scanner at a job. (Beast Machines Scrapper/Scavenger) I renamed him "Boneyard" and gave him a tracked robot mode similar to BM Ratrap

[​IMG]

I was inspired to pick up a pad again, but I had to use a digicam to get this online. I'm astonished by how poor my line control has gotten. But you guys challenged me an I tried to add more background instead of a static profile shot.

[​IMG]