The TFW military thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeathStorm, Sep 21, 2009.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Over the years of being on this site I've noticed a lot of members are in the military, such as myself. I thought it might be nice to start a thread for those who are in, were in, or are planning on joining.

Share whatever informaiton you like: length of service, rank, job, military resources, ask questions of current Servicemen/women if you're planning on joining (yes, recruiters can lie), deployments, experiences, etc.

This is not a forum for politics, which is against forum rules, so just keep it military related.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Can D.C. be considered a real deployment? I know they have a high crime rate n' all...
    Its like that with people I work with, saying they have been deployed 13 some times. "And I was deployed to Hawaii for 14 days...." Really? Sounds dangerous!
    I have been in for five years, I am a Cav Scout and have been deployed to Iraq.
    I will probably be getting out soon, I can't stand the crap you have to deal with. Waiting around for someone to tell you what to do even though you know what to do. Re-org is a killer too.

Chuck

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    I was in Washington for three years (broken up, see next paragraph), under OEF Title 10 orders, so it's a deployment. We were sent to help with the Reserve/Guard side of overseas operations. The folks who work at the Pentagon and Human Resources Command are more adept at supporting regular military members, so we were brought in to help.

My first deployment to Kuwait was an offshoot of the time in DC, so really, if anything, that can't be considerred a deployment (even though I got seperate OIF orders for it). We went to DC, stayed for a month, then three of us broke off and went to Kuwait for 9 months (and travelled all over theater - Afghanistan, Iraq, Quatar, etc). Then we returned to DC and were there another three years.

My second trip to Kuwait was a standard deployment for a year.

I understand your frustrations, but it might just be a sign of your unit. You may want to check out reclassing and seeing if another place suits your needs. Five years is a long time to just get out like that.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    My grandfather was the navigator on the USS New York. My great-uncle was a paratrooper. Both served in the Atlantic theater during World War II. I think my grandfather did two tours.

5. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    My bro is coming down for Christmas I am happy.

But he is getting deployed back to Afganhistan Next year in April. :( 

But I will enjoy every minute with him. :) 

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

You should. You might never know if the next time he's able to come home might be the last time you'll see him alive.

7. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah I know. :) 

Every phone chat, and myspace chat we have.

I enjoy every second of it.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I think Trump will have a lot of things to add here.

Or Bryan.

9. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Heads up, some of us consider comments like that to be INCREDIBLY BAD LUCK and in INCREDIBLY POOR TASTE.

Outstanding. Cav's the only part of the Army as legitimate as the infantry. ;) 

Me, I just hang out with 'em, do some stuff with bandages on occasion.

Best of luck if you get out--you've got that good GI Bill now, hope you use every goddam dime of it. I'm prior service enlisted, mine paid for my Masters and I'm back in as an officer. If you ever have any questions about how to get the most outta your education benefits, feel free to drop me a line. I don't know it all, but I picked up a bunch while using it.

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Sorry. I don't mean to be offensive or anything by saying that.

See, my mom has a friend at work whose son has been deployed to Iraq on quite a few tours and is eventually going to be deployed to Afghanistan, and her friend usually takes time off of work to see her son whenever he's coming home. Mom just tells her to spend as much time with her son as she can, because like I pointed out to $shockwave$, you just might never know if it'll be the last time you'll see that person alive. That's just how I feel about anyone whose family members and friends are serving in the Armed Forces. Every moment you have with that family member and/or friend before they're deployed should be cherished. That's all I'm trying to say.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    Uncle (who is like a grandfather to me) served in the Korea war in the Air Force (in the weather department to do dodge the draft).

but my Grandfather on my mom side (never met either of my grandfathers), drove a tank in WWII (commanded a tank squad too, i think my mom said he was a Gunrey Sargent)

12. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I agree, but I didn't want to start anything.

:lol  That's what my bro always says.

13. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I was Marine Corps infantry for 4 years. Was in Kosovo for a while.

14. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I understand the point that you're trying to make here however, it seems like you're making it with a baseball bat. This is pretty much something we already know (family members of Servicemembers) so a reminder is really truly unnecessary. I too am a person that is also quite matter of fact but maybe take a second look at your comments.

My Brother spent 2 "wonderful" years each in Brko, Bosnia and God only knows Kuwait. His unit had a rough time in Bosnia that when Stars and Stripes did an article on them some Air Force Flag Officers sent them a Care Package to the unit at the Fort. I still find it funny to this day. My Dad was a Navy Lifer earning 5 achievement medals among countless other ribbons. Both Grandfathers as well as my Great Granddad spent time in WW1 and WW2. My Uncle was stationed in Alaska when the Earthquake hit.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    my mothers dad was a soldier,he was captured and put in the prison war camp by the germans 3 times and tried to escape..he also saw his own captain get blown to bits,he was a brave man....but extremely racist,arrogant and considered evil,however he was very evil.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Stop playing what you do down, man. Without people like you there'd be a lot less infantry altogether.

17. jon

jon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in the Marine Corps, three years this January. I'm a radio tech stationed in Okinawa in a non-deployable unit. Lame

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Portugal has several troops down there. Did you get a chance to meet them? If so, what did you think of them?

I always like to hear what other nations think of our troops.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I'm Active Duty U.S. Air Force, been in for 16.5 years, and been a Supply geek the whole time. I'm currently deployed to Kyrgyzstan, been in and out of Afghanistan, and was a part of the initial bed-down team in Uzbekistan right after OEF started in Oct '01 (like the day after). Currently stationed down there in Okinawa like this guy:

Hey man, how was Australia, btw?

20. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

You do what a lot of us don't have the stomach to do. After seeing what you guys have to go through day in and day out while deployed and than having my hand at it (with just CLS training mind you), I don't think I could take it. Not at all. :(  A lot easier to put the pain on someone than to patch them up.
    I would of joined the Infantry but I spelled my name correctly. :p 

Chuck