the TF's metal

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Blitzflipper

Blitzflipper Member

If they're just a shapeshifting "magic nano-metal", why do they need mechanical parts at all?

And remember, the AllSpark can do the same thing to a mobile phone, a soda machine or an XBox360 as it can to Frenzy. You don't need anything special except the energy derived from the AllSpark.
    The problem for me comes if "shapeshifting" is really easy. Why do you need fixed mechanical parts at all? And if "shapeshifting" is easy, why did the Autobots arrive as protoforms, rather than just in their previous altmode?

I think you're right with the idea it's a waste of energy, though. As I said, the smaller the bot (and the higher their energy/mass ratio), the more frequently altmode changes happen.

I just think that even semi-regular altmode changes are likely to be impractical for bots the size of Ironhide, Ratchet and Optimus Prime.

2. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Well in theory according to the first movie, all our major technological advancements have been because of megatron. May that includes our light weight nigh indestructable metals? Or even the 'bio skin' that's starting to be tested on cars now. Or whatever other various coatings or reasons could be used. Mostly I'm just going to stick with the TMA like explanation. Basis in scifi cult classics that have more or less influenced many decades of sci-fi, why not tap it for the ultimate answers of TF technology as well. xD

Or heck maybe they have a way to ionize air and create the properties they need from those molecules at the atomic level, but due to the size of the bot as others mentioned the power consumed is proportionate to the size or surface area needed to cover.

Any actual change to the enviroment itself though would be a tell tale sign of somethings been here, and would defeat the purpose of the geiger counters.

3. Blitzflipper

Blitzflipper Member

If you push exotic materials or matter-manipulation too far, you run into the question of why mechanical transformation is needed at all, but clearly something like this does happen to some extent (opening seams in solid metal/glass during transformation, changing from protoform to kibble-covered form, and sometimes randomly changing altmode after that).

I think we agree that power consumption is a good explanation for the limits to this, though.

The idea of TFs affecting their environment is interesting. We see that they do generate some sort of energy (with the geiger counters), and I assume this is the same energy that creates Xbot and Dispensor in Mission City. *hmm*...?

4. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:

Lol good point...

I think that the "Transformers" having a basic humanoidic design.

I believe that the Transformers, like us, evolved from a more primative version of machinery after they were created.

I mean the one thing we know is that EVERYTHING evolves.

SO...

The transformers soon gained the ability to scan to make due with there surroundings.

So... there size limits the scans they can vary, which brings up the size variation.

They CAN'T scan something that will not work out with there body plan.

Example, entry scene of jazz, the solctice was quaintley equal to his body mass..

Plus..

I would be embarrased if my clothes were baggy and they didn't fit me ;)