The TF Wikias and unofficial material

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gretnablue, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

I used to edit the two transformers wikis when it didn't take it self to seriously, when the images all had little amusing jokes at the bottom and full of joy to read. You would always find articles that ware intersting and fun to read about "the one about noses was my personal favorite". Now of course the wikis have near taken a way all the joy and left just the facts though some of the images still have there little jokes at the bottom.

I understand why they did this as they wanted to be taken more seriously and to be more formal looking. But then they started to take out all the unofficial material out. For the films I understand because of Michael Bay always putting miss infomation out and the fact that don't want to put leaked material on the pages which might put them into trouble. But why take out all the fan made stuff off the site?

For example, Fan Project is not in any article in the wikis, not even in the fandom page dispite being a big part of the fandom and making some of the best upgrades and fan made toys ever. There explanation for this is because the not official but yet they have articles about Lil formers. If they but a sub section on the toy section of the articles called "unofficial" and have the FP stuff there and other matirial there then that would work or give FP it's own article or add it to the fandom page then that would sort the problem out but they don't and just cut it out.

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I find their coverage to be fiction-centric, and my particular focus in the community is on the toys. So yeah, I'm much happier with the format of toy information in our Resources area, especially since we have ample unofficial toy coverage as well.

And our forum discussion and creative output is second to none.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I'm more of a "toy" guy myself just like fosterlager, and as such I've tried to improve the structure of toy-related articles and sections.

I don't get why you would think the Transformers Wiki has lost its humor, though. Unless you're reading the wrong Wiki (hint: If it's hosted at Wikia, it's obsolete and maintained by one brave editor, twenty Wikia advertising staffers and a bunch of trolls.), there's plenty of humor and casually-phrased stuff. The main limitation for humor we have is that humor should not get in the way of conveying factually correct information.

4. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    There a place for you like it,and it's called Wikipedia.

5. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because some officially-licensed Lil Formers strips appeared in the Transformers Collectors Club magazine.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I see what you did there.

Tbh, I use TFWiki.net and the TFW2005 forums for most of my reading material, never use the resources section here though. Not really sure why...

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Unnofficial information is abundant in the TF fandom. Fan fiction, fan made characters, etc. If they made articles about FP, Perfect Effect, etc. then fans would demand their own information get put on the wiki as well. We don't need a thousand Drift-alikes clogging up TFwiki, that's why we have fanon wikis for that kind of stuff.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    You know what I've never seen? A completely incompetent fan character, the polar opposite of Drift. Think Scrounge with fewer friends and no trick arm. Maybe it's a trope already and I've just never heard of it, like a Maxwell Smart or The Dude.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Man, I really hope I'll get my fan comic done one day...

10. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

i wouldnt mind seeing a seperate wiki that has 3rd party stuff. like keep the main wiki for official material and products but another one containing 3rd party stuff. there is more and more out there and it would be nice to be able to look up someone like magnus and see not only his hasbro figures but details on the upgrades and compatible weaponry etc.

11. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer that tfwiki.net has a stance of leaving out the unofficial stuff.

While I love the FansProject stuff I own, when you get right down to it, it's just elaborate custom work. If you list it on the wiki, you have to allow for the listing of every Unicron-parts Devastator ever sold on eBay, too (on this one, Mixmaster's drum was kept green, for a more unified look. On this one, the drum is more lilac than violet. On this one, etc...)

Keeping it limited to the official makes the wiki organized and useful. No matter how cool the unofficial stuff may be, it would spell doom for the wiki.

12. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

A gigantic negative trend in fanfiction is that it is generally wish-fulfillment. This is why there's Mary Sues everywhere and in general it's often not very good. Characters like Drift are just the sign of a writer who isn't very good at his craft.

Course, I'm one to talk. My method of imagining characters is basically taking an archetype or existing character or personal and making them a Transformer. My thought process is basically: "I like Doc Brown. Imagine a Transformer that is basically Doc Brown and turns into a DeLorean. HELL YES. Awesome." I love Maxwell Smart and The Dude. Especially The Dude. Robot Jeff Bridges? Hell yes!

13. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    A 3rd party wiki was set up at:

Third Party Transformers Wiki

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    There is a Wikia for the unlicensed addon kits (or the "third party" stuff as supporters dub it). Third Party Transformers Wiki It doesnt seem very well-maintained, though.

The reason FansProject stuff isn't on the TFWiki.net (aside from a tiny mention on this particular page) is because the TFWiki is only concerned with things that are approved by Hasbro or Takara. Regardless of how well-made or relevant it is, if it's officially licensed, it deserves to be catalogued. If it is not officially licensed, like an add-on kit or a bad fanfic, then it is not an actual part of the Transformers franchise, regardless of how well done it might be.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    TF Wiki is just that: WIKI. It'll never be any better than the schmoe who enters / edits the information. It should never be the last place for "research", but not a bad first place to look.

16. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    I feel all of your responses, I just wish Freds Workshop could and would be added to each figure he worked on on both our resources pages and the two TFwikis. You know, make them the best they can be toy wise.