The TF Rush

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, May 5, 2010.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    we just recently had the mad panic over the poorly distributed TRU exclusive TFA figs.
    and i see that a posting for preorders barely an hour old has tons of items at BBTS sold out.

is there a correlation? a connection?
    has the slow trickle of new product created this rush to grab whatever is announced, despite a lengthy wait until August or even September?

i passed on pre ordering the first things BBTS offered- i didn't want all of a wave- so this inability to preorder individual items (i know, snooze=lose) has me a bit upset.

anyway, i am curious about what i see.
    the Hurry Up and Wait Pre-Order Shuffle is what i call it, lol

2. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

better to reserve it via pre-order...since they do not charge till they ship it...plus if you find it you can always cancel it...i have dozens of things ordered..via preorder...then cancelled...just like i have dozens of things shipped via BBTS....sometimes...if you snooze you lose...look at SDCC soundwave...fine example of that...

3. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BBTS's system opens up a lot of space for abuse. But suprising it also builds loyalty.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'm quite bummed out that I can't find any pre-orders for Takara Animated Blackout. I had held out, hoping that we'd hear news of a US release. Then the review thread in the Feedback forum did a side by side comparison and I vastly like Takara's version better, but no pre-orders.

Hopefully early next month or later this one, when Blackout actually is released I'll be able to find one for a decent price.

5. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably because past experiences have shown that if one does not hurry one will lose out. Like you said, it may also be due to the lack of significant Transformers releases lately. It's really scary at times.

That's why I usually stick to mass market releases, they're safer. :) 

6. IhsantheCursed

IhsantheCursed Banned

Dont know why theres such a rush to begin with...im personally not excited about anything on the shelves or Horizon other than "Generations" that is.

7. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    All those new listings seem to be for mass-market releases - so therefore they'll be available everywhere in a few months time. I used to pre-order mass-market figures at one point too but stores like BBTS seemed to get them after the retail stores did. I find it's cheaper to purchase them retail anyway (no mark-up, no shipping charges, sales' prices etc).

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's an interesting observation you've made. Frankly, I'm quite surprised by the hubbabaloo over the BBTS preorders, as they're all products that will be available at retail,as the poster above me mentioned. While I love BBTS and spend thousands of dollars a year on specialty and import TF items, I'd never preorder something that's going to be available at Target and Walmart.

I can understand for overseas buyers and those who don't have WM/Target nearby, but when was the last time a mass retail item was difficult to find? Energon Ultra Magnus, maybe?

9. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Unless you live in a country that doesn't get much in terms of the latest TF lines (or you live in Idaho or someplace like that where people and stores are rare to begin with); I can't figure out why people preorder things that will be flooding the shelves at their local retail stores... for less money. Why the need to preorder these is beyond me. I didn't realize so many people did that. I'm stunned by this development.

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I only pre-order stuff from BBTS that hits general retail when I have a gut feeling it will be a bitch for me to find at my nearby local Target/WM.

So let's just say, I pre-order from them quite often.

11. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

Here in Connecticut, we tend to be among the last to get stuff, as stuff first shows up on the west coast and slowly trickles east. By pre-ordering from BBTS, I get the things I want as much as a month or two earlier, AND don't have to bother haunting stores waiting for them to show up. In the case of late wave figures, it sometimes means the difference between getting a figure or not as sometimes stores will be clogged with pegwarmers and won't get, or get very little of, late wave items.

So I preorder everything from BBTS, and save myself a lot of waiting, headaches and gas money. I figure I about break even between gas saved vs. the BBTS mark-up, maybe coming out slightly ahead on BBTS prices if an item takes a while to show up and I drive to lots of stores looking for it.

Since lots of people pre-order from BBTS, and items have a tendency to "sell out" before they've even gotten stock, everyone pounces on them as soon as they show up. So yeah, hurry up and wait. So at least you get to wait instead of having to find some other way to procure the item.

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couple of recent items have people panicking.

1) Animated Arcee - store exclusive + scalpers + original mold + arcee as car + end-of-the-line = chaosbringer

2) Human Alliance Mudflap - end of the ROTF line, Barricade is still pretty scarce and we don't know if the generations line will reset with Mudflap or just start fresh with Jazz and Bumblebee.

3) Japanese Animated Arcee - BBTS was only able to fill 2/3 of it's preorders with a cutoff of March 26th. So now there is not only a panick about preordering but a panick about being 1st in the preorder line.

4) Japanese Animated Blackout - preorders already sold out everywhere and still no news on a US release.

5) Other personal experiences (Animated Cliffjumper, Legends Cosmos/Warpath/Wheelie, Henkei Reissue Hound. . .)

So panic translates into irrational thoughts and people forget that these Generation items are beginning-of-the-line mass retail items. But hey, you can always cancel preorders on BBTS if you find it at retail so why not preorder.