The Symbols/Transformer Language

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by exodus2310, Sep 7, 2007.

1. exodus2310

exodus2310 Member

Did anyone release a language sheet for the symbols that were on Prime and Megatron?

2. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

nope, they wer just scribbles to make the robots more "alien".

3. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They looked a little like Klingon to me.

4. cambaprecoz

this is a lil' off topic:
    And can you read klingon?

5. exodus2310

exodus2310 Member

Okay so...did anyone ever manage to get some clear images of them? It's for a mate who's interested in getting them as a tattoo.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It some type of robot Language.

7. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Thank you Captain Obvious. We'd have never guessed without you. :) 

9. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

When this first surfaced (mainly in that pic of Megs and Ops face to face) it reminded me of Futurama. And there language has been translated and you can find funny stuff in the background of episodes.

I hope they continue it.

10. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wanted to ask Orci about the language and if it was actually codexed and in the movie bible.. it would be amazing if there was a definitive translation that could be made for them... but then again I'm a linquistics geek.

11. cambaprecoz

Well, that would be neat. but considering it an "alien" language, I would prefer to have it a mistery, besides, maybe it has more letters than our alphabet, maybe even thousands, with it's own alien grammar that we could never understand due to it being based on computer language.

Man, I a linguistics geek too, I guess.

12. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
  13. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    If I remember correctly, someone started making a font based on them from the movie subtitles, if a complete alphabet can be made from that, one could compare the symbols on prime and others as to what they mean. ( I think it was Draven who has also used such things in his work. The incomplete at the time cybertronian font. No clue if it was completed or can be completed, as we would need the entire 26 letter alphabet, and punctuation, which may not have been used in the movie subs, but that's also taking into account the capital and lowercase symbols for letters are the same, if not, that makes it 52 letters needed.)

But if the movie novel and prequel book are right, it's more like pictographs similiar to how japanese and other asian languages are written, where one symbol has a boat load of meaning behind it short of just being an alphabet letter.
    I like this notion personally, as it also explores both the computer mathematical aspects (which korean uses), and cognitive sentient aspects, of a race that only needs to speak direct english or earth languages to communicate with humans. Well, or as the book stated, adopting the language of their new home.

But their could still be injokes to the symbols used if one takes the subs decepticons used, and marked it to the english letters they represent.
    We could literally get stuff, like prime's face symbols meaning hope, or freedom to us, but in their language it could express something grander as "Hope and freedom is the birthed right for all sentient beings." Whereas the injoke in english translated symbols from the subs could just be Hope, or even Motto. As prime's motto is "freedom is the right of all sentient beings." for example. Movie makers do stuff like that all the time. Makes me wonder and want to explore it myself now.

Kinda like wingdings, or other symbol fonts. It may look like gibberish, but when shifted back to a normal font, it's plain as day to what it says. Now whether it really means that in this case could be different, it could just be the shortest approximation to a translation while still fitting in the line. As fansubbers, and even official subbers/dubbers do to get things to fit on screen, or lip-sync.

14. Xr0

Xr0 New Member

Ebay:
  15. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Wouldnt it just be awesome to talk like them or something...?

16. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

I like the idea of their language, in written form, being a mix of pictographs and alphabetical lettering.
    I love how they did their spoken language in the movie with a layered mix of tones and pitches in a mash of electronic and some little organic sounds.

17. cutienerdgrrl77

cutienerdgrrl77 New Member

Just another linguistics nerd

Hey guys! Has anything ever become of all this? I did find this much:

Cybertronian languages - Transformers Wiki - Teletraan I

Now, Lord of the Rings fans have, through all the many JRR Tolkien books, been able to piece much of the language together. Tolkien himself created the language, but I don't know if he made the WHOLE language, or if it's something that fans have expounded upon. So as far as that goes, I dunno.

Now my thing is, tattoo. It took 30 damn years, but I finally feel FREE in my life, and I'm getting "freedom" in several different languages tattood on my back....yes, even in Elvish (the rest, of course, are actual Earth languages).

I would dearly love to have "freedom" in Transformer-speak. The brains at one of the Lord of the Rings fansites were able to translate "freedom" into Elvish, written in "normal" English ABCs, then somebody else in the community puts it into the pretty Elvish writing. And I'm sure Star Trek people have done it in Klingon, but I don't follow Star Trek (Star Wars yes, Star Trek no; I already have my Star Wars tat).

So I guess what I'm asking is: has anybody pieced the language together; like does "blippity bloppity" mean "dandylion", and does "harfle shmack" mean "four door compact convertible" and then you take "blippity bloppity" and "harfle shmack" and put those in the Transformer alphabet? Has anybody become THAT big of a dork yet? Lord of the Rings fans have a several decades of work ahead of Tranformers fans, but has anybody started yet?

18. Bayless

Bayless Well-Known Member

to the best of my knowledge each letter was one symbol. you're gonna wanna piece it together blippity bloppity by harfle shmack.

19. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    It's a bit too curly for Klingon, don't you think? It would make a cool tattoo, though.

20. cutienerdgrrl77

cutienerdgrrl77 New Member

Well, as I said, I don't know a thing about Klingon. My fan-ness stops short of dressing up and going to Comicon and other such conventions (because God forbid anybody knows what a nerd I am).