The Supreme commander in Animated

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Maniaxe, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Maniaxe

Maniaxe Well-Known Member

One of the things I like about TFA is its treatment of the Autobot Supreme Commander position. It may seem weird talking about a TV show about giant changing robots involved in protecting Detroit from other robots and costumed supervillains, but Ultra Magnus is a much more "real" SC thana ny of the previous Commanders we've seen on TV.

Magnus isn't a superhero (Like Star Saber, Original Optimus, Fort Max, UT Optimus or most of the others) He seems to be a very big picture kind of person. For him Earth is just one planet out of the MANY that he's stuck protecting. He's had to make some very cold-hearted decisions in doing his duty (The Jet twins, Omega Supreme), but he strikes me as the type of leader who can make some very difficult decisions.

For this i'm hoping that Optimus actually DOESN'T become Supreme commander, as he still seems more like a Hero, than a big picture commander.

2. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime contemplated to reactivate Sari, who was a ticking time bomb by then.

Optimus can and has been shown to take the same decision like Ultra Magnus, if the situation needs it...

3. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    The Optimus we all know and love is slowly emerging from the youthful Prime in Animated,though I don't think we will get to see him fully mature as Season 3 is the last.

4. Sumdac

Sumdac Total Noob

Seeing as Prime spent time bringing the Sumdac family together (which was very kind), I don't think he has the cold heart to become a Supreme Commander, which is just fine with me.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't love G1 Optimus, I much prefer the character of this new guy because he is the new guy. He's a lot more... loose, like Optimus Primal only younger and not as social. (not that he doesn't socialize, he's just not as good at it)

6. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And he can't act for slag either.

This Prime definately still has a lot to learn before his story is complete. Granted he has made some mistakes:

Leaving Elita 1 while escaping (and dragging Sentinel out with him); taking the key from Sari, thinking the Dinobots were mindless enought to be melted down, not making sure that Meltdown was dead, and, now, considering sicking an out-of-control Sari on Omega Supreme of all bots.

But his spark was sometimes in the right place. And to be cliche: That's why they put erasers on pencils.

jD001

7. Sumdac

Sumdac Total Noob

Come to think of it, I feel Sumdac would make a much better Supreme Commander than Optimus. He has the brains to further Cybertron technology, and is obviously able to keep top secret information under wraps.

8. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

:sly2:  Sumdac doesn't srike me as the leader type. I very much doubt he'd even want the job anyway.

9. AMG

AMG Old School

To me Magnus acts more like a Decepticon strategist than an Autobot commander. He's cold at times, which is interesting, but I don't know if I like an Autobot leader acting that way.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I wouldn't say he acts like a Decepticon. He makes the decisions he has to in order to protect his people; even if those decisions arn't always all nice and bright.
    The whole theme of the premier was doing what you must, even if it doesn't seem right. Or make sense, was what they used in the show.

11. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

:thumbs2: 

12. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

A little time later, Optimus did have a cold enough heart to throw instabil berserk sari against Omega Supreme, if it was needed.

13. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the fact Prime is still learning. I just hope that at the end of this season (if it is the end) something doesn`t happen and all of a sudden Prime is the new leader of the autobots. If they have season 4 and can flesh it out like with Rodimus in G1, then it may be cool, but to just chuck it in at the end would = Fail

14. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Yes but he does posses the empathic qualities which would make him a more desirable leader, at least. There's a difference between hardening up and making difficult decisions when lives are on the line, and being cold and calculating all the time. On the other hand, Magnus was a commander at war. We saw later with the trio of episodes in season 2 starting with The Elite Guard, that Magnus does have a, uh, 'human' factor. I would rather imagine given his reactions at the start of that time, compared to the end, that Optimus Prime even managed to teach Magnus something about being a leader.

15. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

From Optimus Prime's POV going back for Elita-1 would have been suicide his choice was the right one, that Elita survived to become Black Arachnia was a fluke that Optimus couldn't have been expected to account for.

16. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    True. Thanks for clearing that up.

jD001