The Super Sentai vs. Power Rangers Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by areaseven, Mar 27, 2011.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rather than go off-topic on the existing Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger and Power Rangers Samurai threads, I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to our favorite Super Sentai or Power Rangers shows of the past. Also, once in a while, I'll throw in a review or two on a Super Sentai show.

So, to start things off, what are your five all-time favorite Super Sentai/Power Rangers shows? And what are your least favorite?

2. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'd say that Super Sentai and Power Rangers are completely different entities, bound together by the same costumes. I can't really say I have a preference, although I have to admit, Super Sentai is a much, much better show. For whatever reason, though, I can't bear to watch any pre-Dekaranger Sentai, other than Jetman.
    My favorites:
    1. Shinkenger
    2. Magiranger
    3. Go-Onger/RPM
    4. Lightspeed Rescue
    5. Time Force
    My dislikes:
    1. MMPR
    2. Gingaman
    3. Lost Galaxy
    4. Goseiger
    5. Operation Overdrive
    Yup, I said it, I hate MMPR more than Operation Overdrive.

3. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    As long we keep civilized, everything is going to be ok in this topic. :p  Its just that i read a lot of bashing comments in YouTube about Power Rangers. I just dont get it. :S Sure, one is allowed to have his/her opinion but i wont change my mind just because i am seeing Gokaiger now and go all "Oh, this is bloody awesome and now all the PR show suck for life to me! :D " . At least thats a light version of some comments i see online. :( 
    Oh, well, where did that come from? XD

Go back to topic, Rigo, back to topic! ^^'

Well, my first Super Sentai show, as i just said, its Gokaiger. And i am really enjoying it. So cool seeing the "original" version and see all those previous teams showing up. I havent watch any other SS show yet. I am interested in Abaranger because of that episode in DinoThunder but thats it. Oh, maybe Go-Onger. When i have time i am gonna give any of those a try. ^^
    As for my fav Power Rangers season: hm..i have to say...Wild Force. Of course the original series will always be legendary but i go with Wild Force, probably head to head with Time Force. I liked the intros, the characters, the ZORDs. All a good mix.
    The last episode of Wild Force with the rain, without their powers and still making a stand against Master Org will always be awesome. ^^ Plus, that season had Zen-Aku!! gotta love that evil wolf spirit. And he survived!!! :D  Merrick was always way bad ass. ^^
    My least favourite has to be Mystic Force. Not going into that now. :p  But yeh, didnt like it at all. :( 

4. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm mostly old-school, but Gokaiger and Dekaranger are among my top three favorites. Here's my top five:

1. Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger (2004)
    2. Choudenshi Bioman (1984)
    3. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (2011)
    4. Denji Sentai Megaranger (1997)
    5. Mirai Sentai Timeranger (2000)

As for least favorite, I'd have to choose Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuranger. I tried going through the first four episodes, but the flat characters and slow pacing bored me to tears. The only saving grace was Reiko Chiba as Mei/Ptera Ranger.

Also, I'm more or less a Super Sentai purist, so I don't like Power Rangers in general. I don't really hate it (except for Power Rangers SPD, which was an embarrassment to Dekaranger).

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    My all-time favorite Super Sentai series are Choushinsei Flashman and Hikari Sentai Maskman. Those shows were my childhood.

Barrring a few exceptions, Power Rangers ruins everything with their hammy, laughable villains.

6. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gokaiger's my first Sentai series since I regained interest in Power Rangers during the 2010 MMPR season which led to interest in Kamen Rider. The current sentai airing was Goseiger and I hadn't heard good things about that so I just decided to wait until that was over. I've conisdered going back and watching some older series but on the PR side of things Linkara has me covered with his History of Power Rangers.

7. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I like Power Rangers. Yeah, some series/characters are bad, but the same can be said of it's Super Sentai cousin...

If I don't watch a Sentai series before I watch the Power Rangers equivalent, I can generally enjoy the PR series more since I'm not making all the comparisons...

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Can't say I prefer one over the other, since I don't watch sentai. I prefer PR because it's nostalgiac and I just generally don't care for Japanese stuff (with few exceptions) since it's, well, just not my thing. I don't get some of the themes because of the cultural barrier. But to me, they're two seperate things. They don't have any bearing on eachother aside from the fighting footage. I don't get the PR hate, because really, Sentai has just as much ham, corniness, and bad special effects.

My top favourite PR shows:

1. Time Force
    2. RPM
    3. In Space
    4. SPD
    5. Zeo

Least:

5. Some but far from all of MMPR
    4. Turbo
    3. Mystic Force
    2. Operation Overdrive
    1. Jungle Fury

9. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool - another old school fan! Haven't seen Flashman yet. Hopefully, someone like TV-Nihon fansubs it soon. I saw a few episodes of Maskman dubbed in Tagalog, and it's an okay show; just not as memorable as Bioman.

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I haven't watched much super sentai, apart from gokaiger which is awesome.

But with power rangers my top 5 and least favourites are:
    1.Ninja Storm:p eople can say what they want, but I was 4 at the time and this was just plain out awesome.
    2.Dino Thunder:This was just awesome.
    3.Mighty Morphin:The original, and the best, until DT and NS came along.
    4.RPM:Fantastic acting and great storyline, plus a nice little end to the disney pr.
    5.Wild Force:Bad acting, but alot of cool fight scenes, and awesome zords and theme song.

Mystic Force wasn't that bad, Turbo was pretty bad, SPD was ok, but not great, and Operation Overdrive was pretty bad, and Jungle Fury was pretty cheesy.

11. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now I have another least favorite: Dengeki Sentai Changeman. While Zyuranger had some horribly slow pacing, that of Changeman was all over the place. No character cohesion and too much shit happening on one episode to even get a comprehensible story.

And that team commander - what a dick! He gets hundreds of his platoon killed just to find five people to become Changeman.

12. dragonlord2200

dragonlord2200 Master Duelist

ok top 5 sentai
    1. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger
    2. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger
    3. Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger
    4. GoGo Sentai Boukenger
    5. Engine Sentai Go-onger

as far as power rangers
    1. Power Rangers Zeo
    2. Power Rangers Dino Thunder
    3. Power Rangers Ninja Storm
    4. Power Rangers Samurai
    5. Power Rangers RPM

as far as least favorite sentai
    Tensou Sentai Goseiger

Power rangers...........
    TURBO,OPERATION OVERDRIVE, JUNGLE FURY,MYSTIC FORCE

13. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Time for another question:

If you put two or more similar Super Sentai or Power Ranger teams against each other, who would win?

Here are some examples:

Ninja vs. Ninja
    Ninja Sentai Kakuranger vs. Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger

Jurassic Battle
    Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuranger vs. Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger
    or
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers vs. Power Rangers Dino Thunder

The Battle of Law Enforcement
    Mirai Sentai Timeranger vs. Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger
    or
    Power Rangers Time Force vs. Power Rangers SPD

High-Speed Deathmatch
    Kousoku Sentai Turboranger vs. Gekisou Sentai Carranger vs. Engine Sentai Go-onger
    or
    Power Rangers Turbo vs. Power Rangers RPM

My Kung Fu Is Better Than Your Kung Fu
    Gosei Sentai Dairanger vs. Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger

14. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    My knowledge of Super Sentai is slim admittedly - I'm watching Gokaiger as its released and I'm currently working my way through Shinkenger. I plan to visit MagiRanger and DekaRanger once I'm done with that.

As for Power Rangers, my all-time favourite has to be Zeo...great costumes and my hands down my favourite core-PR cast. So a top 5 would probably be...
    1) Zeo
    2) RPM
    3) MMPR (its my childhood)
    4) Dino Thunder
    5) In Space

15. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I'm a Super Sentai fan, but I can't get into Power Rangers (saw PR Samurai a few times, but my opinion still stands). Anyway, here's my list currently:

1) Shinkenger
    2) Gokaiger
    3) Dekaranger

I'm in the process of watching Dairanger and Jetman, and I'll going to watch Timeranger (still downloading the sub eps), Magiranger, and Gekiranger. It's hard to watch when I have so little free time thanks to work and family, and I'm also trying to finish up Kamen Rider W.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think, for anyone who hasn't watched Power Rangers RPM, that they should sit down and make time to watch it. I truly believe it is one of the best created shows of all time (Sentai or Power Rangers). The acting was great, the action was breath-taking, and the humor ... it was Sentai humor (seriously, not the forced slapstick from Samurai).

Best part, RPM had NOTHING TO DO WITH GO-ONGER! That's right, a completely self-created story. They barely used Go-Onger footage. I can't stress it enough.

As for Super Sentai ...

Gokaiger is the first I've been watching from start to finish as it airs. And thus, it is my favorite so far. I love the characters and I love the storyline. Hope we get more back-story about these Zangyack Empire and how the Gokaigers fit in to it all.

17. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Areaseven, thanks for creating this thread. Personally, I've watched Power Rangers since they first aired, all the way through. I was actually happy when ABC Family at the time had syndicated it.

As for Super Sentai, I'm still playing catch up. I kind of wish there were more available episodes of the real early stuff on the interwebs. It's bad enough that the only place I could find any series in cyberspace was in Vietnam to finish watching Shinkenger and Goseiger.

So far though, my favorites of the Super Sentai series has been Gaoranger, Abaranger, Dekaranger, Go-onger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, and currently Gokaiger. I think what it is about each of the series has been the build up. In the Sentai series, it's not quite the same way each time. You know the outcome, but it's fun getting there. With the current Gokaiger, first off, having your main Red Ranger be named "Captain Marvelous' is just ball-smashingly awesome, and second, he just doesn't give too much of a crap, which is just what I like in my leaders.

For Power Rangers, by and far, RPM, Ninja Storm, Time Force, DinoThunder, and Lost Galaxy are my favorites. Wild Force was one I wish I had never watched, along with Mystic Force. It was the singing for Wild Force, and for Mystic, it just....didn't click for me.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    -Hurricanger!! They have the "Green Samurai Ranger". ^^

-Abarangers for the Super Sentai and Mighty Morphin for the Power Rangers. Nobody can beat Tommy as the Dragon Green Ranger. ;) 

-I go with Dekarangers/SPDs. They just have a stronger group.

-Go-Ongers and RPMs. Turbo Power Rangers sucks. XD And because I like Go-Ongers better. :p 

-DaiRangers! They have Kiba Ranger. ;) 

19. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I have yet to understand all of the love for Tommy. He's nothing special, from characterization to acting ability.

20. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see this as more of a Power Rangers culture thing. Those who watched MMPR from day one saw Tommy as the show's biggest role model, mainly because he was a legitimate martial artist (while the rest were just actors).