The Super-Duper Fan-Canon Questions Bonanza

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Digilaut, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys (and gals)!

I was thinking about these things a while ago, so now I'm sharing them with you, see how you feel about them!

Most of these questions have somewhat official answers
    - sometimes the answer varies on the incarnation of Transformers, too - but we all have our personal ideas and canon on what we like in the Transformers franchise.

So err..here goes, and let's see if this can spark some interesting discussions! :) 

1) Do you consider the Transformers' names their real names or their army codenames? Animated clearly shows they are codenames, while in the comic adaption of the movie Optimus states their Earth names are approximations of their Cybertronian names...but how do you see it?

2)Do you feel every Cybertronian is involved in the war as a soldier (Autobots vs. Decepticons + special factions) or do you envision a whole group of civilians who are not rallied into the fight? And if so, do you consider these Autobots?
    Again, this seems to vary slightly with every incarnation, but what is your preference?

3)Do you feel the 'disguise' is just outward appearance (robot bits visible right underneath the hood) or should it be a perfect one?
    In the early Marvel comics, Ratchet didn't even have pedals beneath the steering wheel! On the other side, the Bayformers seem to actually become the vehicles with all of the parts needed to function. I think in RiD X-Brawn and Optimus had been able to stay hidden among the human population as real cars for quite some time.

Sometimes, the disguise gives the robot some extra advantages (a fast sports car makes the robot faster in alt mode), while sometimes it adds nothing.

4)What is your preference when it comes to the robots' births? Being built in some way (full robot or protoform)? Being spawned by some kind of energy?

5)What is your preference when it comes to the Transformers origin? Being created by gods, or being created by a different species? Or maybe those 'gods' aren't gods at all? Or maybe something different, like the evolution of cogs and gears!

6)Do you prefer the Autobots and Decepticons to be two different kind of races within a species (workers and soldiers), or do you prefer that they are one and the same, where picking a side is an intense, personal decision?
    :p 

7)In your vision, are they born with natural ways to defend themselves, do they upgrade themselves in wartime or do they carry loose weapons?

8)How do you feel about Cybertronian wildlife, such as 'turbofoxes'?

That's all I can think of right now. Have fun!

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

1) Real names

2) Preference is that vast majority are Autobot/Decepticon with a few 'grey' bots around the edges just to keep it interesting.

3) Movie alt modes got this spot on for me. The vehicle mode should be as realistic as possible.

4) Hmmm, cop out I know, but both. For example, the Dinobots were built in the G1 'toon, but we know that others were 'spawned' from Vector Sigma, for example. I can get on board with either depending on the context.

5) Evolution of cogs and gears. The created by aliens' thing is just pure shit IMO and devalues the entire TFs existence.

6) One and the same, but they just picked a side or were created that way.

7) All 3 are perfectly acceptable and are indeed the case, depending on which bot or con.

8) Meh.

3. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

1. Real names
    2. If there are Transformers outside of the war, they should just be Cybertronians or simply Transformers. From the small numbers in ranks, I think just about every TF should have been pulled into the war in some way.
    3. as close as possible.
    4. I like built. It was the simpilest way to do it... and as living machines seems the most appropriate.
    5. I always felt TFs are better off without an origin... much like life in general. Sure we have our theroies, but nothing we can all agree on. So it's more realistic not to know and have lots of maybe's. That aside, so far I feel the Allspark Cube from the movies is the best yet. It's simple and gives them something to fight over.
    6.they are both cybertronians... definatly not different species. Junkions and Sharkticons... now those you could consider different species.
    7. If they are created/born during war time, they should already have weapons. If it is peace time, not.
    8. I think it's a cool idea, which from my memory hasn't been explored. Just think, maybe Soundwaves cassests (ravage, laserbeak, etc) were once wild and were trained.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    1) Do you consider the Transformers' names their real names or their army codenames?

Army codenames. I'm sure they have more alien names.

2)Do you feel every Cybertronian is involved in the war as a soldier (Autobots vs. Decepticons + special factions) or do you envision a whole group of civilians who are not rallied into the fight? And if so, do you consider these Autobots?

The former.

3)Do you feel the 'disguise' is just outward appearance (robot bits visible right underneath the hood) or should it be a perfect one?

I think it should be a perfect one, so it can be a disguise. ;) 

4)What is your preference when it comes to the robots' births? Being built in some way (full robot or protoform)? Being spawned by some kind of energy?

My personal theory protoform pod with "genetic" information coded in by parents.

5)What is your preference when it comes to the Transformers origin? Being created by gods, or being created by a different species? Or maybe those 'gods' aren't gods at all? Or maybe something different, like the evolution of cogs and gears!

I think Primus started the evolution of cogs and gears.

6)Do you prefer the Autobots and Decepticons to be two different kind of races within a species (workers and soldiers), or do you prefer that they are one and the same, where picking a side is an intense, personal decision?

I prefer them to be two different kinds of races, so discrimination is a theme present in the series. I absolutely love the theme of discrimination. :D 

7)In your vision, are they born with natural ways to defend themselves, do they upgrade themselves in wartime or do they carry loose weapons?

I think they upgrade themselves, and carry loose weapons as well.

I don't mind them.

5. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

1) Do you consider the Transformers' names their real names or their army codenames? Animated clearly shows they are codenames, while in the comic adaption of the movie Optimus states their Earth names are approximations of their Cybertronian names...but how do you see it?
    I see it as name and or rank. Prime is a rank to me for example.

Again, this seems to vary slightly with every incarnation, but what is your preference?

I view Cybertron is much like earth in the 40's. Its in a state of total war. So everything in life is about the war effort. I see the territories being loyal to Autobot or Decepticon. But the general public were once cybertronian and by the time we see the war most see them self as Autobot or Decepticon 1st.

They do not become the car(or what ever) they disguise as them. So Tracks should look like a vette but under close inspection you would see that he is not.

Not sure.

Evolution. Or I also like the idea that they are the Very very far future of an organic species who built AI.

Same. I do see the Decepticons as a movement have a history in the Cybertron (or in a country within Cybertron) Military. But each Cybertronian can choose.
    I also don't like the Decepticons to view them self as evil. They need to view them self as right. That from their perspective they are the good guys.

Yes. lol.

Fine. Again I think after several thousand years I don't see much of them left as if its not part of the war it doesnt matter. And Cybertron is beat on by this time.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    1. Real.

2. The latter. And no, I just consider them simply Cybertronians.

3. Perfect appearance.

4. Being built as a protoform, then having energy (spark) give them life.

5. Good old Primus/Unicron origin.

6. One and the same.

7. They upgrade themselves, and carry loose weaponry.

8. I'm neutral about them, really.

7. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

01. I prefer the real name option, since that's all they ever seem to go by. (Although there is that whole Orion Pax deal, and so I don't know.)

02. I think once upon a time there used to be a whole civilization, but due to the on-going war just about every one else has been wiped out. The whole deal where things have gotten so bad, that you pretty much have to pick a side and start fighting. If there were other Cybertronians, I'd mostly consider them civilians, and not so much Autobots.

03. I think under the best of circumstances, the "disguise" should be as accurate as possible. However, in a bind and/or needing a quick-fix, I can see skipping the details.

04. I tend to lean towards the protoform deal, with some kind of spark and/or energy, or what-have-you needed to start things up.

05. I like the Allspark theory, as it makes them more organic, almost? As silly as that sounds.

06. I think they're very much the same, and I believe it makes things more interesting that way.

07. I imagine there's some initial knowledge of survival, but for the most part I think it's learned.

08. They're okay, I suppose. I really don't have a preference.

8. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    1) real names

2) Hm maybe not everyone, as the civilization on Paradron proofs, or Bountyhunters like Devcon.

3) Perfect.

4) Life is given by Vector Sigma. "Before Cybertron was, I was".

5) Quintessons ftw.

6) Military Hardware and Consumer Products in origin, but free to choose/change sides.

7) Loose weapons, but of course they can upgrade themselves, as they are machines.

8) Never heard of Turbofoxes. But some Quintessonian experiments are said to still lurk in the depths of Cybertron.

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1) Do you consider the Transformers' names their real names or their army codenames?

Real names.

I imagine Autobot and Decepticon societies to be moulded around the idea of total war. Every member of every faction is involved in the war effort somehow.

I think it should be a perfect one, otherwise it would be a pretty useless disguise.

Transformers are built in a factory/workshop and then given life by Vector Sigma/Oracle/Allspark/The Cube/Gimic of the week

I follow the G1 Cartoon origin story. Quintessons built Cybertron as a large factory and the Autobot and Decepticons are descendents of those products.

To be logically consistent, I'd have to say that there is some element of there being two different races, but I also think there's a large ammount of personal choice involved.

Some are construced with weaponry, others aren't.

Never seen any, but I'm cool with it existing.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    1. Real names.

2. Just Transformers.

3. When it's for disguise, I prefer as convincing as possible.

4. Protoforms.

5. Primus, FTL.

6. Just one species with two different races.

7. Since I buy teh Protoform thing, I believe that they eiether manually upgrade themselves, or gain weaponry when they reformat.

8. I'm for 'em.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Real names.

2. I believe there are 'civilians', and most of the time anyone who isn't a Decepticon is an Autobot by default.

3. 'Disguise' should be as good as possible, but better (from a story standpoint) if imperfect, like disguise in real life - or the toys.

4. Whatever goes for the universe it's in - G1: Built - BW: Protoformed - Animated: Protoformed or Allspark'd

5. I like the mishmash. I usually start with the cartoon Quintesson origin, though Primus may have guided them in some way, or awakened the robots' sentience. Also, perhaps the Quits started with robotic forms that evolved there naturally.

6. I think there are fundamental differences that point to bots/cons being different 'species', but it's still easy enough for robots to choose sides on their own, regardless of their start-point.

7. Any and all.

8. I got no problem with Cybertronian wildlife. If one believes that life there evolved in whatever way to its current state, some form of ecosystem is implied.

12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Alright, here I go...

Bear in mind that this is coming from a GeeWunner perspective. :lol 

Obviously some of the later lines have firmly established how things work in their canon, but in the G1 canon, there's always been a LOT of room for interpretation. I have to admit, I like it that way. :) 

I think that they are Earth approximations of their Cybertronian code-names. Naturally "Sideswipe" in english means nothing on Cybertron, but his nickname is probably based on the actual act of sideswiping in the vehicular sense, and the attitude it conveys. "Bumblebee" is trickier... though perhaps Cybertron has inoffensive little hover-droids that have a similar association, and BB's native nickname reflects that.

Of course, what IS a code name? I don't see them as strictly military classifications, like GIJOE, but rather a shorthand nickname or loose ceremonial title that each TF takes on or is given, since their official designation is probably just a line of code. :) 

It's like a culture where NOBODY goes by their "true" names... informal nicknames are instead a cultural institution.

I consider Autobots and Decepticons to be distinctions that are entirely based on political associations, though Decepticons probably subscribe to a "survival of the fittest" philosophy of supremacy that elevates them beyond simple ideological ties.

Are non-military neutrals all Autobots? I'm not sure. I think I see "Autobot" as the name for the national identity of Transformers under the pre-war governance, but there might be numerous sub-distinctions based on what city you're from, which social class, technological generation, etc... after the war tore the status quo apart, I could see some civilians holding on to their "Autobot" identity, or reverting to whichever other identity holds more meaning for them. And of course, many civilians decided to become warriors, and carry the Autobot banner. The Tech Spec profiles are full of such stories.

Imperfect. Some TFs might have more detailed interiors to effect a more complete disguise, but it's all superficial. The steering wheel shouldn't exert any control, the seats will not be comfortable or smell like leather, the pedals will not be connected to anything (if they are there at all). Under the hood, assuming the hood opens at all, a human mechanic might find the facade of a recognizable engine, but closer inspection would reveal something completely different.

I mean, there is literally no way to explain or accept that a TF car could pass for a real car upon examination. The metals would be different, thicker, heavier, etc...

Sometimes, the disguise gives the robot some extra advantages (a fast sports car makes the robot faster in alt mode), while sometimes it adds nothing.
    I think vehicle speed and robot agility are separate things. Sometimes a robot is fast in both modes, sometimes not. In some cases a robot has a very fast alt-mode even though a real Earth vehicle would never be able to attain those speeds. The alt-mode is an outward disguise, nothing more. One example would be Whirl and Vortex's ability to fly in ways that are impossible to duplicate for real helicopters. Another would be the fact that Ironhide, Motormaster and Sunstreaker (look it up!) are far more durable and heavily armoured than any Earth tank (and indeed, probably many TF tanks!).

Built... by industrial or mechanical means, none of that "nanotech" bullshit. Keep it real, keep it oldschool.

I'm not really sure where I think the "Spark" comes from though... I have some ideas, but I've never really decided.

I'm a "tiny cogs and gears" man myself, though I couldn't tell you why, in the midst of all my pseudo-scientific realism, that origin just always resonated with me the most. I guess I'm an evolutionist at heart, so the idea that life could evolve similarly, albeit from much different building blocks, appeals to me.

I hate the Quintesson origin, though probably just because I never much liked the Quintessons or the Season 3 setting in general. I'm divided on Primus/Unicron. I can see them as part of the origin of Cybertron, but I don't seem them as true "gods"... just powerful space entities on a pseudo-mechanical motif.

As I mentioned above, totally a personal decision. There is no physical difference between Autobots and Decepticons, though bots of certain classes and occupations might be more attracted to one side or the other. I don't even see Transformers as one OR two races... but actually probably MANY different "races" from various parts of Cybertron, where mechanical life evolved along many different lines. Are Ravage and Laserbeak different types of Cybertronian life? Are Skylynx and Trypticon related? How about Whirl and Shockwave? When war swept across the planet, Cybertronians of all types were pressured to pick a side... and many of them did!

Since they are not "born" but rather designed and built, they can come into the world with weapons and military programming. However, their "Spark" is the randomization factor. A spark might be "too big" for the body it was grafted to, and you might end up with a little powerhouse like Brawn or Windcharger... or it might be too "weak" and you might end up with a walking arsenal who can't manage his weapons systems efficiently.

And yes... upgrades for those who can handle them, and hand-held weapons for whoever can carry them. However, since traditionally most TFs have fixed "Firepower" ratings, I do find myself wondering if part of that might be a factor of their personal power output. Hm.

I love the idea of Cybertronian fauna. I hate the notion that Bots and Cons are the only form of life on the planet, or even the FIRST forms of life for that matter (a bit Biblical, eh?).

I'm undecided if Ravage might be a hyper-intelligent member of a distinct Cybertronian species, or simply a Decepticon warrior designed to resemble a Cybertronian predator. But I am certain that Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat, and company are NOT simply "animals" or "pets" as they are sometimes depicted, but rather fully sentient members of their faction.

zmog

13. Phoenix Blaze

Phoenix Blaze Brain Waster

1. I think of some as code names, other as appoximations. Beast Wars kind of showed that come of them take on new names when reformatting or changing in some way. Like say, Rattrap. Hound seems like an approximation, Jazz does not (Meister does though, interesting.

2. I feel that there are a number of civilians who have fled, died or been dragged into the war. Headmaster tells of bots leaving Cybertron because of the war essentially as civilians. Animated sets up the idea of civilians too and I really like this idea. These civilians are autobots.

3. Hmm, this is a tough one. I liked the Bayformers full on car idea, but I just don't see that being possible with regards to cybertronian propulsion and energy systems. Not really sure this one. The whole fast car thing doesn't have anything to do with earth mode. Blurr is fast, regardless (IDW has him as a car who is still super fast). So a fast Cybertronian vehicle will result in a fast looking car to further reinforce the disguise.

4. Protoforms that are created through very special and seemingly delicate technologies. Through upgrades and time the Transformers "grow up".

5. Hmm, just being built by tentacle ridden things can seem a bit lack luster. I really like the Primus idea of a giant machine builting little ones, essentially.

6. Cons were built for war, Autobots were workers, same race. That doesn't mean all workers are autobots or that all autobots are workers (same holds true for cons). At the start this would be the case, but I like to think it's always been about choice. It was just easier for Megatron as a powerful leader to rope in the soldiers first.

7. Hmm....I'd like to think the first transformers didn't have incorporated weaponry but as the war started and spread, it became standard to have armaments of some sorts. I'd like to think they can take them off though.

8. I don't believe in such things being "natural" to Cybertron. Cybertron is for transformers.

14. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    --> This. On all counts. But I like Turbofoxes, Mirage hunts them!

15. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    1. More like transliterations of their real names - I can't imagine why somebody would be called "Bumblebee" on Cybertron when they don't have said creature there, so it's the nearest thing we can understand/pronounce.

2. I imagine there'd be pacifists who wouldn't feel compelled to take either side, just as there would be with humans. 'Neutrals' is the best way to describe them.

3. I think the alt mode would have be movieverse-esque just for them to stay under cover. Imagine if, in the first movie, Mikaela opened Bumblebee's hood and found a head and folded-up arms in there??

4. TF procreation is something I've never been able to make their mind up about. It seems odd to me that an evolved species would 'build' new members but robo-reproduction has never fully agreed with me. G2-esque 'budding' could work, or equally the 'hatchlings' seen in ROTF.

5. I never liked the Quintesson origin story - I liked the Primus/Unicron background but I think that's been done a few too many times in recent years. I always thought of them evolving, just not as organic life forms. They could have evolved from some microscopic mechanoid life-form just as life on earth evolved from microbes over billions of years.

6. Personal decision, always. I'm not keen on the idea of the war being a black-and-white 'good robots vs evil robots' story. If I was writing it neither side would be depicted as 'good' or 'evil', just two groups with opposing ideals and viewpoints that are diametrically opposed.

7. All 3! As life on our world has evolved with means of defending themselves, so have Transformers. Additionally they can graft new weapons and equipment to themselves, or carry loose weapons when needed.

8. As my above answers have depicted TFs as an 'evolved' life form, there would have to be 'animal' life on Cybertron too. They could even possess the ability to transform to blend into their surroundings to protect themselves from predators - they are 'robots in disguise' after all! Of course, war has left widespread extinction and many species have been lost. Also, the likes of Laserbeak and Ravage are more like pets in this respect, with the 'blending-in' aspect of their Transformation adapted by the Decepticons into a utilitarian form.

16. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

1) Real names.

2) I feel that there's four main factions: Autobot, Decepticon, Other and The-War-Can-Get-Fucked.

3) That depends on how closely the Transformer interacts with humans.

4) I don't care how the robots got there, just as long as they're there and beating the shit outta each other.

5) Primus creation.

6) Definitely a decision. Them being different races makes faction-switching very confusing.

7) They'll be armed when they need to be armed.

8) Interesting concept, just which they'd use names that aren't along the lines of "mechanical term + Earth animal".

17. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    1)Real Names

2)It reminding of me of WWII and War on Terror

3)Their can fit in Earth Disguses

4)Protoforms with Daddy's Spark and Mommy's Spark as one

5)Primus

6)Their Many kinds of spieces

7)They Born as Protoform than as Mini-cons than that become full size Transformers

8)Ravage,Laserbeak, & others are cybertonian animals yah they some wildlife in Cybertron

18. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

1) I see them as approximations of their Cybertronian names in whatever Earthen language they are using.
    2) I see the non-fighters as civilians, who may've had Autobot or Decepticon "ancestors" or builders, yet choose to remain neutral.
    3) I see the disguises as a perfect emulation.
    4) I see the robots as being built, and gradually added onto as they get older.
    5) I believe in the Primus origin.
    6) I see each as exactly what they are, factions of one species.
    7) I see them as using loose weapons, or learning how to create weapons from their body.
    8) I believe that they were created too, as a balance.

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I tried to give as much realistic answers as I could

1. I like to think that they go by codenames. I mean each Cybertronian must have some kind of personal records which means they must have some kind of official name and if certain Cybertronians share a protoform what's to stop a guy that shares the "Seeker" body type from changing his paint job to be like Starscream's and steal his identity? I'd like to think each Transformer has it's own type of DNA or something that could prove who they are. Another big reason I just think most people go by nicknames is because of instances when a character might get a new body or paint job and then go by a new name, that would be like me getting plastic surgery and going by a new identity, but if it's simply a nickname it's not a big deal.

2. I like to think that there are Autobots and Decepticons who have no part in the war. It kinda bugs me that in most fiction when ever a 'Con shows up the Autobots automatically think of them as an enemy. Just because they're a Decepticon doesn't mean they are part of the war.

3. I think disguises should be perfect. I also like to think that because Transformers take the replica forms of vehicles is what causes them to have kibble in robot mode, the vehicles they transform into weren't specifically designed for them.

4. I like to think that basic protoforms are mass-produced and a special energy is what gives each Transformer its spark and molds the protoform into its body type.

5. I actually like not to have the origin of Transformers revealed. I'm sure many would disagree with this but think about like this, we humans don't how we were created but we many different religions we believe in which have different reasons for our creation. Maybe it could be like that on Cybertron, certain religions believe in a god creating them, while others believe they were created by another species.

6. I prefer to think of them as different races but the same species. I like the idea of Animated with the Autobots being more civilized, worker types while Decepticons are usually bigger, stronger soldier types. I think this is reflective to how different human races have some physical changes with each other, for example Asians having more slanted eyes than other races.

7. I think it's a bit silly to think Transformers are born with weapons. Perhaps Decepticons would since I like to think of them as being more warrior like but I think that most Cybertronians just get weapons during wartime, and weapons that are built into their body are modifications they get when they go to war.

8. This one I wonder about since if they are robotic wildlife then are they created from protoforms such as Transformers? Do they have sparks? Or do they have different ways of reproducing-such as budding?

20. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Overall I think they are their real names.

2)Do you feel every Cybertronian is involved in the war as a soldier (Autobots vs. Decepticons + special factions) or do you envision a whole group of civilians who are not rallied into the fight? And if so, do you consider these Autobots?Again, this seems to vary slightly with every incarnation, but what is your preference?
    Well considering their war is a world war IMO I figure for the most part nearly all are involved some way or another. But, I'd imagine it to be a few neutrals/non actives around as well.

3)Do you feel the 'disguise' is just outward appearance (robot bits visible right underneath the hood) or should it be a perfect one?In the early Marvel comics, Ratchet didn't even have pedals beneath the steering wheel! On the other side, the Bayformers seem to actually become the vehicles with all of the parts needed to function. I think in RiD X-Brawn and Optimus had been able to stay hidden among the human population as real cars for quite some time.Sometimes, the disguise gives the robot some extra advantages (a fast sports car makes the robot faster in alt mode), while sometimes it adds nothing.
    Should be a perfect disguise.

Protoforms

I believe in Quintessons.

6)Do you prefer the Autobots and Decepticons to be two different kind of races within a species (workers and soldiers), or do you prefer that they are one and the same, where picking a side is an intense, personal decision? No choice. I believe they are created to be one or the other. And then maybe have the opportunity to switch sides or remain neutrals later.

7)In your vision, are they born with natural ways to defend themselves, do they upgrade themselves in wartime or do they carry loose weapons? Autobots probably upgrade but Decepticons are naturally defense ready.

8)How do you feel about Cybertronian wildlife, such as 'turbofoxes'? I guess there s got to be some wildlife on the planet.