The story Hasbro is trying to tell...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Human Beastbox, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Let's be honest, and this mostly applies to us older fans that have been around since G1, but how many of my fellow TFWers are less concerned with Transformer stories anymore and in the end just like an awesome toy?

It occurred to me during BotCon and going to the Hasbro panels just how much I don't really care about the fiction too much anymore. I kinda stopped paying real close attention to any on-going mythos back in 1987. Anyone else kinda feel that way??

Not saying G1 is the end all, be all, AT ALL, but I just don't really care all that much any more about the fiction. It's nice to watch and read Transformer stories, but in the end, I think I'm more into the robots and that's it.

Any one else here feel like me?? Just curious.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Not me. I genuinely care about the stories..although I definitely pick parts I like and ignore parts I don't like.

In the end, an engaging story, in a cartoon series or a videogame, only help them sell more toys to me..so it works! :( 

3. Single Elegant Machine

Single Elegant Machine Purity and order.

I will always be invested in the fiction, seeing as to how that is the primary stipulation for my purchase of any plastic effigy.

4. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just a bit sorry they chose to abandon the G1 continuity at the end of Beast Machines. A clever writer could have easily integrated RiD, AEC, and everything else in there, from a fiction standpoint.

It's not a huge complaint, but one universal continuity is something I wish we had.

5. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Maybe that's it.

I'm no Gee-wunner, in that I like most Transformers lines, but at the same time, with so many story continuities it's much like X-men comics, just exactly what the hell IS going on these days! hahahaha

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I never used to be that bothered about the stories, but after watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines for the first time ever this year, I now feel differently.

For example, I can't bring myself to get any of the RiD or A/E/C toys just because the fiction is so piss poor (IMO).

And just to say, I am not trying to turn this thread into a flamewar, just giving my own opinion. If people like those series then I'm cool with that.

Given the choice, I'd rather have toys of characters that appreared in the shows I liked (even if they are often quite poor, BW Rhinox is a good example) than awesome toys from a show I didn't care for.

I do love G1 though, which is why I'm a fan of Animated and the Beast era shows, as I feel they all tie in together very nicely with good stories and characters.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    See, I'm the opposite. I wish every line was completely self-contained, storywise (though I have no issue with references to previous stuff), so that continuity would become easier, as you wouldn't have to worry about how one continuity relates to another, you'd simply have multiple universes. It would also mean more opportunities to try new things, introduce new characters, and take the mythos to new places that haven't been done before, other than just re-hashing the same tired cast and stories over and over.

I think the best comparison I can make is saying I'd like things to be related the way G1 and Animated are, rather than the way G1 and Car Robots are.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I don't ignore the story, but I have to admit that of all the franchises I'm a fan of, the story is probably least important to me in Transformers. I care more about awesome toys and seeing cool stuff with regards to TFs.

9. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I see Beast Wars as the Next Generation to G1s Original Series (Star Trek). I think it's possible to come up with new stories and characters whilst keeping to an existing universe.

It's a big universe after all!

Really, there is no limit to what you can do as a story teller.

I think this is what Hasbro are trying to do now, espeically with Prime, which I have heard is going to try and tie everything together in terms of the TFverse. This is also coming through with the toys as there are fewer sublines and varying styles and aesthetics are being marketed under the same two banners (HFTD and Generations).

10. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    For me It's toys and fiction. I got mostly into transformers becuase of the cartoons (armada,energon,cybertron and beast wars being re-aired on TV) and i love the cartoon and the toys about the same.

Besides I don't made the change in direction each series goes into...I believe in a alternate split timeline and thus how my collection works.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh you CAN most certainly make a sequel that treads new territory in the same universe in an entertaining, unique way, and beast wars is the perfect example of how to do it. But I feel that in a lot of cases it just feels like in their way of shoehorning new gimmicks and toy designs into an existing universe, it feels labored and weak, as in energon and cybertron. Similarly, I feel like the constant re-hashings of G1 are just scrabbling to find new ways to actually tell new stories while not deviating from the characters and universal norms people expect, and that the end result is lacking compared to a complete reboot (at least in recent years we've seen lesser known characters in the G1 universe become focuses, which was a good way to approach it, I guess).

If Hasbro is, in fact, trying to now work with a consistent universe (which in and of itself is suspect, as WFC, the movie and Prime seem to have shaky links at best) I think it might work out for a few years, until the concept gets tired and gets rebooted, as we've seen in the past.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  12. herugrim

herugrim Defiler of Energon

Ebay:
    I have to agree with the general consensus.

When I first got back into transformers as an adult (Mid-way through Energon) I dived right into the mythos of the series. Most of it was new material to me, as I hadn't seen much besides the television shows. However everytime a new series comes out, it starts a whole new continuity. Even the video game, which we were told was going to be a tie-in to some kind of continuity, turned out to be it's own story.

Even the book which was supposed to be a direct prequel to the game turned out to be completely unrelated!

I'd invest more in a story if Hasbro showed an interest in making one steady continuity. Until then, I'll make up my own stories as I go along.

13. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I can agree with that.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    My desire is still to have the m-verse act as the primary long term continuity. It's not because I am any kind of huge fan of it, but rather just because it's a successful starting point. The multiple continuity thing is completely out of control. So yeah, I do care quite deeply about the story.

We need a Crisis series. Badly.

15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It depends. Some cases I'll buy a toy thanks to the story. At other times, I'll buy a toy because it looks awesome. Usually it ends up being both since the neatest toys are definitely going to be featured in some sort of story.

I'd say that as long is the toy is awesome enough, I don't need a back story and I'll make my own. If the story is good enough, I can forgive a figure a little even if it's not the best.

16. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've not been a huge fan of most of the continuities introduced this decade, but the toys just keep getting better and better. So I agree that the fiction is becoming less important to me. I have a story in my head and it works just fine.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I'm with the OP 100% I'm more into the toys because I like the engineering that goes into them and they're plain fun. Plus with the Classics/ Universe/ Generations line it's given me exactly what I wanted since RiD got me back into collecting: the characters I loved as a kid as modern, updated toys with articulation.

I'm not into the fiction much at all...I enjoy the characters from G1 but not even nostalgia can allow me to sit and watch the cartoon...one read through of the comics about 10 years ago was enough for me. BW and BM are great IMO, best writing in any TF cartoons and fun to watch even if the CGI is outdated by modern standards.

I've tried watching all the other cartoons since and found them to be irritating, cliche, too much of a straight rehash of G1 or just flat-out boring. But I'm not the target demographic either.

The movies are entertaining enough, but I definitely have to shut down all higher functions and just watch them for the killer CGI and pretty explosions.

I've read the IDW stories that have been released in TPB form, and they've ranged from very interesting to bad fanfics but I can't see myself ever getting back into collecting comics just for the story.

So yeah anyway...long winded post made short: Don't give a rat's ass about most fiction, love the toys.

18. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

I stopped caring about the stories for a long time after Beast Wars. Beast Machines was OK, but I can't say I "cared" about it. And everything after BM was a total write-off until TFA came around.

So, yeah, I think the toys are far more important to me than the fiction these days.

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've got to have story because that's the spring board for me. Oh and cool villains.

Classics was easy to collect because I knew who the characters were and why they were cool to me. After watching Cybertron there were some characters I wanted because they appealed to me so I wanted them in plastic form. Just never could get into collecting the movie toys because the characters didn't appeal to me.

Which is not to say that I need a story for every character. But if there is strong foundation to the continuity of the story then I like adding some characters I know almost nothing about just to spice things up a bit.

20. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Fiction > Toys
    I like good toys but good fiction is much more important to me. It kinda disappoints that there's a large percent of the fan base that are really more interested in toys than fiction, I mean I don't mean this to be a bad thing it's just I think because of that it more people are ok with bad fiction as long as there's good toys out of it