The story behind the 2 versions of g1 ultra magnus???

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Paradigm-Shift Prime, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Does anyone know it?

I just got a 2nd g1 ultra mag in the mail, it's turned out to have plastic wheels, plastic feet (not die cast) no windows on the cab, unpainted head, cab sides, and helmet (which, along with the chest plate, some previous owner chose to paint silver/gray).

As my previous UltraMag (also fairly recently picked up) had rubber wheels, painted head, windows, etc., I was a bit confused. So I checked it out and both these versions seem to be legitimate releases (aside from the hand-done repainting on the helmet and chest plate) (http://www.tfu.info/1986/Autobot/UltraMagnus/ultramagnus.htm)

Now I'm looking for the story behind them.

Here is my own picture for further reference:

[​IMG]

I guess it's interesting to have both versions but the rubber/painted/diecast version is SO much better. At least I got this other version complete with instructions and tech spec for US $32... (I think I payed US $49 for the other one, missing only gun, no papers).

...also, anyone know if turpentine will strip the original blue paint as well as the painted silver on the chest and helmet there? If so anything else I can use to strip it? (soapy water not working)

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Rubbing Alcohol!

3. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't have the link anymore but there was a website that had a listing of all the different versions of a lot of the G-1 figures. Ultra Magnus had I think about 6 but that's a blind guess.

Oh wait, I found it
    http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vquanda.html

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The rubber tyred version was the first, then Hasbro obviously wanted to reduce the cost of producing Magnus, hence fewer paint apps, plastic wheels and less chrome. The recent reissues are rubber tyred with the original paint apps.

That's a somewhat simplistic overview.

I was going to post that link posted earlier, but I was beaten to it; so here's a more direct link:

http://www.geocities.com/futuristgroup/vmagnus.html

There are a startling number of variations.

5. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

So credit to the linked site on this account:

"Type 1: Deluxe! The rubber-wheel, metal toe version. All chromed on the upper legs and gastanks, and it has a full paintjob. Yes, it has a windshield, too...the small head has full paint, and the large head has full paint, meaning on both the face, and the antennas.

Type 2: a step up from type 3.. it's ENHANCED, meaning it still is plastic, and no chrome, BUT it HAS a windshield, and the small cab's head has paint on it. In addition, the faceplate on the large head was painted.

Type 3: the 'kaybee' special...plastic wheels, plastic toes, no paint on anything, no chrome on anything, no windshield...

Type 4: 2002 TRU Reissue...rubber-wheeled, fully-painted and chromed, has windshield...shorter smokestacks, longer missles(compared to any other release) and has several remolded/reinforced areas on the cab and trailer...more "

So I have a 'type 1' and a 'type 3', the change apparently being a KB exclusive or whatever...damn the cutting corners on cost!! Thanks guys.

6. Mixmaster

News Credits:
    The '86 vintage Magnus I own is actually a mixture of type 2 and type 3; like type 2, but without the paint apps on the head. So it's possibly even more complicated than we think.

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Sarcasm***its obvious hasbro was trying to down play th e white prime part by making it look like crap so you wouldn't use it apart from the trailer***Sarcasm

I had both versions at one point, now I just have the good vintage version.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The one we got here back in the day seems to have been the no windshield, paint app less version. I think the painted one must have made it to the UK as well, though, since I have had no trouble finding a proper cab and helmet.

9. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I have the pained chrome cab.. according to the site I have trailer #2, and the single ribbed full painted head. This is my magnus from my childhood to.

10. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

I grabbed mine when he fist hit the shelf, so I have the type I version, as well as the Takara and Hasbro reissues.

11. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

It seems I have more work to do when picking one of those things...

12. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

There's also the Japanese 15th anniversary re-issue, which is basically the same as the 2002 TRU re-issue, but with the long smokestacks.

13. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

14. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up my UM at Woolworths back in 1987 - I could've sworn he had the windshield. I'll have to dig him out to check.

15. Mixmaster

News Credits:
    Got mine in '86 in the UK, it had the plastic wheels, no paint on the head of the small robot or the large robot, but does have a windshield.