The "Store X Didn't Let Me Buy Movie Toys Before The Street Date" Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gunman_sr5, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    OK we lucked into finding some movie stuff at Effingham IL K-mart tonight. They had a few fast action battlers, voice changer helmet, blasters, and Real Gear. Well we picked up Speed Dial 800 and Spyshot for Kira (my 4 year old ) and did some more shopping. We then went to check out. Mind you the shelves where full of movie toys. We went to check out and they didn't ring up. The manager then got snappy with us saying they could get finned for selling them before the street date. Kira was bawling at this point since they where more fir her. The manager turned more into a well *****. So at that point we sat down the other stuff we had, and told them they just lost our business.

$7.99 for real gear, $11.99 for FAB, $21.99 for Cyberstomping Prime and Bumblebee as well as the blasters, and $32.99 for the helmet. K-mart should sell what they have now while they are exclusive, or they may never sell any of it.

***EDIT***

Merged all the threads about stores not letting customers buy movie toys before the street date onto this thread.

-TFW2005 Staff

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

he sounds like a horrid manager. if you cant sale it make sure it isnt on a peg. der

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same crap happened to me at K-mart today.

4. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

No wonder K-mart went tits-up here. :rip 

5. Mirage914

Mirage914 Invisible

K-mart's still exist? there's not a single one where i live.

6. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Not here in Canacustan, not anymore. When Wal-Mart moved in they bought all of K-Mart and Wolcos stores. And then proceded to not use half of them. :lolol 

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they wont sell it then they should not have it out on the pegs, plain and simple.

I hope they are pulling all of that merch back into their storeroom until June 2nd then.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That sucks, especially after Hasbro said "F&*$ it. If you have it out already, go ahead and sell it."

9. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

dont they like legally have to sell anything on the shelves and priced?
    and I only buy there cause they have layaway...stupid wal-mart...

10. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I wouldn't have given in. I would've stood there, blocked any other transactions for that store, until I was treated fairly. I would've gotten loud, obnoxious, and demanded just compensation for being treated so rudely. If it's out on the shelves, and a customer wants to buy it, then they have to sell it regardless of date. That's like dangling a sub in front of Jarod Fogle, then telling him he has to wait until Christmas.

I would call their District Manager first thing in the morning.... or if that doesn't work, go higher still. Explain the situation, inform them that Hasbro has lifted the "Street Date" off of the stuff, and demand that you be permitted to not only get the items, but that you get them for free, or at a substantial discount.

If they still don't let you have it, go to the local newspapers/tv stations. Tell them about that, let Kmart get bad publicity, then watch what happens. All you have to do is threated bad PR, and they'll crumble.

Not that I'm out to get anyone fired, or get Kmart in a worse situation than Martha Stuart already did, I just don't feel that it's right for things to be on the shelves, be priced, and readily available for purchase only to have your hopes and dreams dashed at the finish line. Especially the hopes and dreams of an upset little child.

Oh, and btw Gunman, Hi neighbor!

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Yeah, this has been happening at a lot of K-Marts recently. There are several reports of it in the New & Rumors forum.

One would think that if K-Mart knew they weren't allowed to sell these toys, they wouldn't have stocked the freaking things. It's not hard, people. If you can't sell something, don't put it up on the shelves where customers can go up and grab it. :banghead: 

12. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

I work in the retail business and trust me. We don't give a shit. Calling up the DM will do nothing. They got better things to deal with. Yes, I agree they shouldn't be out. There is no excuse for it but when customers get rude the last thing we want is your business and Hasbro did not send out anything to lift street dates that was a rumor and Hasbro confirmed it as false. Otherwise we woulda gotten an e-mail about it at work which we did not. But from a retailer point of view, we never see the customer accomplishing anything except making an ass out of themselves. Post it at tv/radio stations? Omg get a fucking life. The radio stations bash on liberals and let the news continue to mourn Anna Nicole Smith. The last thing anyone wants to hear or remotley care about it a store not selling toys. And I'm not defending K-Mart either. Place is for hoosiers. Plus I've noticed at every K-Mart, every employee smokes. I think they have a tie in with the cigarette companies.

13. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. except take that story with the 4 year old and put me in it; a 19 year old guy.

Idiots (the store people) putting it out and not selling it. It was a sad day when I went to America. People are nice there, though

14. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    When did Hasbro deny the street date lifting? I must've missed it. as far as the media goes, that does seem rather extreme, however, I see people all the time with nothing better to do than go to the media with silly stuff that sometimes gets the frontpage, so I figure, what makes toy collecting any different.

Regardless, My point was mainly to do something about the rude treatment, and the disregard for a child who just wanted a new toy. btw, lol @ "hoosiers". If nothing else, the manager could've offered a different transformer (classics, tits, alts) at some kind of discount for all the confusion and trouble.

also, lol @ smoking K-mart employees. It's the same here in Terre Haute, IN as well.

15. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I can't believe some of the stuff in this thread.

You would have paid them 100 bucks for everthing. That is a lot of money. However, if there really were fines in place (not every retail manager keeps up to date with the latest news on Transformers, you know) The fine for selling all that would be MUCH higher then the 100 they would have lost.

Sure, it sucks that they put them out. That's just them being idiots (do the cases have hold dates on them?) But if it doesn't ring up, it doesn't ring up. They cant just take your 8 bucks and give you it. Now, if you ever happen to go there again, and the movie stuff is still up, that would make me pissed.

And standing in line holding everything up until you got what you want? Good to know we're 5 again. People wonder why collectors get such bad reputations.

16. Quickswitch

Quickswitch Assault Warrior

I had the same problem with my local BIG K store tonight as well (just posted my "adventure" in the News & Rumors section actually), only the store I went to charged $9.19 for the Real Gear Robots. :eek: 

As for the stuff not ringing up, provided there's no street date for it, they can always do an override on it. I bought a Playmobil toy at Target that was on the shelf with the rest of them, but apparently it's UPC thingy wasn't in the system & must have been slightly different then the others (same product, but newer packaging I think). The cashier asked me if I knew how much it was, I told her the price that was on the shelf, & she rang it up for that.

Maybe if it has a "Before Sale Date" thing encoded into it they're not able to physically do an override for it? :confused: 

-Quickswitch

17. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Thats REAL nice to hear coming from someone that deals with the public every day and even better to hear that your managers have "better things to deal with" then the people that inevitably pay their fucking salaries. Thanks tho, that does confirm my theory about big chain retail nowadays.

Ok, then why are stores putting out the toys en masse? If there is a strict street date then the stores are violating Hasbro's directives. If the stores are gonna go right out and break the rules, they should get screwed for it - not their customers.

Which, if the people in this country had any brains in the first place, the only people that would be the asses would be the people that run the big chain stores. Mom n' Pop stores wouldn't have died, and we wouldn't have to put up with the "I'm sorry but we can't sell that to you" (even tho we violated the toy manufacturer's own release date). I'm no nut, I know that nothing will ever change this, but I still have the right to bitch about it and it irritates me when someone condones the bullshit way retailers behave toward their customers.

Just FYI, I say stand your ground in a situation like this. Maybe I'm wrong, but nothing should prevent you from walking out with that toy. Its THEIR fault they put it on the shelves, let them eat shit for it. I had the same thing happen to me at TRU one time with a MLP set I was buying for my wife. The manager was pretty understanding about it when I made clear to him that I wasn't leaving the store without it.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Here here.

19. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I guess being in retail that, by now, you must be a customer service expert? Sounds like you REALLY know how to work with the customers and how to deal with them. A rude customer is the best customer for me to deal with. You want to get rude with me, fine, you're just shooting your own foot. That LAST thing I'll do is be rude back as that just makes me just as big of an ass as the customer and will likely result in the matter only escalating. I'll just use a customer's own rudeness against them in a polite, professional manner so if they get mad again with someone else it will be noted and go against them later on.

Why they hell NOT sell it if it is on a peg? Shouldn't you be upset more with your stockers then with the customers who are bringing your store money, and in turn getting you PAID? If you piss off one customer, their word of mouth will usually get to at least ten people and those ten people will be less likely to shop at your store. If you please a customer, they're likely to tell seven people or LESS about their GOOD experience. I shopped at a K-Mart the other day for a window shade for my truck, and to check for movie toys. They only had the promo toys and I left with just the window shade. Now, because of what has happened to others here and my SUPPORT for this community I will be less likely to shop at K-Mart.

Oh, and as for that manager my response would've been simple. "So, you won't sell me the toys that are ON your shelves that your own stockers PUT on the shelves, because they shouldn't have been put on display to begin with? Well, I guess who's not getting my business today." I would've then just walked away ignoring whatever they said to me and left the items on the conveyor. The ultimate thing a customer can do is just leave their items and walk away. There is NOTHING that says once you have it up there that you HAVE to buy it, especially after being treated poorly by a manager no less.

Oh, and if you want to TROLL around, then get lost. Your comments are VERY likely to incite aggravation, anger (as they HAVE) and start an argument. That is the epitome of being a troll. If you want to be constructive and ADD something worthwhile, fine, otherwise don't troll.

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    The cashier and front-end manager didn't put those toys out. If they wont sell them, then they wont sell them. As far as they know, those toys have a street date of 6/2/07 and selling them could result in the loss of their job and a massive fine from Hasbro to the store.

... you honestly think they're going to take that chance for your $30 and change? I wouldn't. I definitely wouldn't if you were unpleasant about it.

Someday I'm going to go back in time and punch the person who coined the phrase "the customer is always right" in the face, because it's one of the biggest misconceptions in business. "The customer always thinks they're right and you should try to placate them if possible" is more accurate. Sometimes you just can't, and there's nothing you can do about it.

In the end, they're toys. They'll be available officially and en masse in about three weeks. Can you guys really not wait?

EDIT: You're all getting angry with the wrong people, in any case. Blame Hasbro for revoking the street date penalty; It's given everyone here the idea that every tom, dick, and harry working in retail knows the street date has been revoked (it hasn't, really), and it's managed to confuse stockers enough that they're putting out toys while they're still entered into the system as "DO NOT SELL THIS".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.