The Still-Not-Perfectly-Accurate-But-Would-Do-The-Trick Scale Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Incepticon, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, I know we always see toy scale threads pop up on a weekly basis and watch the debates ensue, but I still wanted to post this Classics-verse inspired list anyway just to see some other opinions. Just for fun - no arguing or debates necessary :) 

Before anyone yells out "it'll never happen!", yes, I fully realize it won't. But hypothetically speaking, if Hasbro ever did release a line in these size classes AND assuming money was no object for us to buy all of them, would any of you be happy (or at least pretty content) with this kind of scale breakdown? Obviously it's still not perfectly "scale accurate", but given our current size class options, it's the best I could come up with.

All of it is simply a pipe dream scenario for G1 characters in Classics-verse style. I didn't list a chunk of random minibot repaint characters or S4 characters like the "masters", Seacons, etc. simply because I don't care enough about them to do so, but feel free to insert them somewhere.

SCOUT
    - Reflector
    - Insecticons
    - Wheelie
    - Beachcomber
    - Soundwave minions (Rumble / Frenzy / Ravage / Laserbeak / Buzzsaw / Ratbat)

DELUXE
    - Bumblebee
    - Cliffjumper
    - Prowl
    - Brawn
    - Gears
    - Wreck-Gar
    - Jazz
    - Sunstreaker
    - Sideswipe
    - Wheeljack
    - Skids
    - Red Alert
    - Smokescreen
    - Kup
    - Blurr
    - Hot Rod
    - Cosmos (based off the unreleased Titanium design)
    - Silverstreak
    - Hound
    - Tracks
    - Mirage
    - Stunticon limbs (Dragstrip / Dead End / Breakdown / Wildrider)
    - Runamuck
    - Runabout
    - Technobot limbs (Lightspeed / Strafe / Nosecone / Afterburner)
    - Arcee
    - Protectobot limbs (Streetwise / Blades / Groove / First Aid)

VOYAGER
    - Optimus Prime
    - Ironhide
    - Ratchet
    - Trailbreaker
    - Hoist
    - Blaster (with revised vehicle alt mode)
    - Soundwave (with revised vehicle alt mode)
    - Springer
    - Perceptor (upsized version of current Generations design)
    - Rodimus Prime
    - Predacons (Razorclaw / Rampage / Headstrong / Divebomb / Tantrum)
    - Combaticon limbs (Swindle / Brawl / Vortex / Blast Off with revised jet alt mode)
    - Scattershot
    - Swoop

ULTRA
    - Megatron (with new tank alt mode)
    - Starscream
    - Skywarp
    - Thundercracker
    - Ramjet
    - Thrust
    - Dirge
    - Ultra Magnus
    - Aerialbot limbs (Slingshot / Fireflight / Air Raid / Skydive)
    - Galvatron
    - Cyclonus
    - Scourge
    - Constructicons (Scrapper / Bonecrusher / Mixmaster / Scavenger / Long Haul / Hook)
    - Octane
    - Whirl
    - Roadbuster
    - Warpath
    - Powerglide
    - Grapple
    - Inferno
    - Hot Spot
    - Sandstorm
    - Blitzwing
    - Onslaught
    - Motormaster
    - Broadside (with revised / downsized water vehicle mode)
    - Grimlock
    - Slag
    - Snarl

LEADER
    - Shockwave (with War Within tank mode)
    - Skyfire/Jetfire
    - Silverbolt
    - Astrotrain
    - Sky Lynx
    - Sludge

SUPREME (OR BIGGER)
    - Omega Supreme
    - Metroplex
    - Trypticon

Obviously I'm a believer that bigger is absolutely better when it comes to Transformers figures :) 

2. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

Why is Shockwave so big? And what have you done with my Combaticons? Never mind! Found them.

I'd make Constructicons voyager like Predacons but I get that you want the vehicle modes to dictate size as well.

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Minibots and combiner components should always be scout.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    See, that's the problem.

If you scale the combiner component bots correctly, the combiner will be out of scale.

If you scale the combiner correctly, its component will be out of scale.

A correctly scaled combiner would almost mean each of the components should be voyager to leader class.

Correctly scaled components could mean the combiner not much bigger than a leader class.

Hence, to hell with scale!

5. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Really? You'd prefer jets, tanks, hummers, etc. to be in the smallest size class over being in a more 'realistic' size class with other bots that have similar alt modes? That's interesting.

6. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not bad. Personally I'd like a 1/32 scale G1 Transformers setup that totally ignores mass-shifting/stupid forms/Hasbro's size classes.

That means HUGE 1/32 seekers, Alternity-style Autobot cars, an MP-10 sized Prime, Tank Megs, A plausible real-world Soundwave and a HUGE Devastator.

That's my dream. Closest I'm currently getting is with an Alternity/MP mash-up display.

7. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As for combiners - you could NEVER do Defensor where one limp is a motorbike and one is a helicopter. Which... Lets face it, is pretty ******ed anyway.

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

I still don't get Shockwave being so big. What mode would you give him?

9. Incepticon

News Credits:
    Agreed 100%. The only reason I kept all the various combiner limbs together in certain size classes was for the sake of making a functional combiner toy. But obviously there should be like a three to four size class difference between each Protectobot limb, a couple of the Combaticon limbs, etc. I'm not at all cool with a motorcycle being the same size as a helicopter or a jeep being the same size as a tank, haha.

10. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You do realise this is the internet, don't you..? Where friendly discussion goes to die.
    :popcorn 

Nice list though, well thought through.

11. Incepticon

News Credits:
    My favorite alt mode for Shockwave is his concept Cybertronian War Within design - which is basically a giant ass tank. And I just like Shockwave to be a big character. He had a large G1 toy and he was animated around the same height as Skyfire in the cartoon (at least a couple of episodes anyway), so that's how I see him. Just a personal preference is all.

12. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

OK. i saw you gave Megatron a tank mode so I was just curious. I thought maybe he was a spaceship like Tidal Wave or a bigger version of his WFC mode.

13. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me, robot mode scale is both more important and (IMO) more feasible. I too prefer my minibots to be Scout-class, mainly so they're not eye-level with the Deluxe-class guys in robot mode. If the engineering was there to make Deluxe-class cars turn into really short robots, then go for it.

Also I'm uncomfortable with the Ultra-class Seekers. They'll tower over the Deluxe-class Autobots in robot mode, and really the vehicle mode scale still won't be right. So Voyager-class Seekers are good enough for me.

As for the Defensor problem, go the Seacon route, add a sixth Protectobot and make Groove the gun. This'll work for Computron too.

14. Incepticon

News Credits:
    I thought they did it pretty well with Bumblebee & Cliffjumper being shorter than the other Deluxes. And as much as love the Scout sized Windcharger figure, I still don't like the idea of car & truck alt modes being so much smaller from one another. That's just me though.

Well like I said, it's not meant to be (and never will be) perfectly scaled, but I would vastly prefer Ultra sized fighter jets over Deluxe or even Voyager versions - specifically because I do want them to tower over car sized bots. Again, just a personal preference.

The big advantage the Technobots have is that they're all Cybertronian, so their alt modes (imo) don't have to adhere to Earth sized scale constraints. So as far as we know, the cycle-looking alt mode could actually be the size of a small truck... or some such.

But I get where you're coming from. While I don't like the whole mass shifting take on things and think the bot modes should be accurately sized to whatever their alt modes are, I completely understand how & why a lot of people prefer the way they were depicted in cartoons & comics.

15. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Because it's Shockwave. That's why.

16. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cosmos gives me problems as well. Autobots are supposed to fit inside of him, yet he wasn't all that big.

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well Shockwave would either bet he DOTM leader class we don't have or it's because the G1 toy was tall.

I don't care really enough about scale.

18. Incepticon

News Credits:
    True, but I did away with that idea for the toy. The same way they upsized Powerglide, Warpath, etc., I tossed the idea of Cosmos being big enough to transport other bots and instead scaled him to something more akin of being a space saucer looking survey/explorer type of vehicle. He's a tough one to reimagine, haha.

19. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hell nah!!

20. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    i like how you think...100% agree with all of that