The Status Quo...

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Jive Guru, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

...Never Really Existed!

1. Darkness Rising Mini-series (Introduction to Original Status Quo)
    2. Masters and Students
    3. Scrapheap
    4. Con Job (Wheejack Introduced, but leaves retaining SQ)
    5. Convoy (MECH Introduced)
    6. Deus Ex-Machina (Knock-Out and Breakdown Introduced)
    [Original SQ lasts 10 Episodes]
    7. Speed Metal
    8. Predatory (Airachnid Arrives, is out on her own)
    [SQ lasts 2 Episodes]
    9. Sick Mind
    10. Out of His Head (Megatron awakens and takes control of Decepticons)
    [SQ lasts 2 Episodes]
    11. Shadowzone
    12. Operation: Breakdown (Mech removes Breakdown's Eye)
    13. Crisscross (June Discovers TF's)
    [SQ lasts 3 Episodes]
    14. Metal Attraction (Airachnid 'joins' the Decepticons)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    15. Rock Bottom
    16. Partners (Starscream strikes out on his own)
    [SQ lasts 2 Episodes]
    17. T.M.I.
    18. Stranger, Faster
    19. One Shall Fall/Rise Season Finale (Unicron is inside the Earth, Orion Pax joins the Cons)
    [SQ lasts 6 Episodes]
    20. Orion Pax Season Premiere (Cons begin decoding the Iacon Database, Introduction to Insecticons, Optimus Returns to Autobots)
    [SQ lasts 3 Episodes]
    21. Operation: Bumblebee (Starscream Looses his T-Cog)
    [SQ lasts 2 Episodes]
    22. Loose Cannons (Introduction to Dreadwing, Wheeljack Stays)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    23. Crossfire (Airachnid kills Breakdown, leaves Cons, Takes control of Insecticons)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    24. Nemesis Prime (Silas terminally injured)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    25. Armada (Starscream gets new T-Cog from Clone, Airachnid Captured, Insecticons bow to Megatron)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    26. Flying Mind
    27. The "T" Quartet (Bulkhead is injured)
    [SQ lasts 5 Episodes]
    28. Hurt
    29. Out of the Past
    [SQ lasts 2 Episodes]
    30. New Recruit (Smokescreen Introduced)
    [SQ Lasts 1 Episode]
    31. The Human Factor (Silas returns in Breakdown's body, is dragged off to mysterious fate)
    [SQ lasts 1 Episode]
    32. Legacy

And that's leaving out all the Artifacts and Energon variables. As you can see, the Status Quo, changes all the time.

So you guys can stop saying how the show never changes now!

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't think you're aware what status quo means.

Little additions of characters here and there is not changing the status quo. The status quo is something that completely changes the direction of the main plot, not the addition of a character who then proceeds to barely affect the story. Those are just elements of the story. Megatron coming back to life and Starscream leaving the Decepticons is changing the status quo. Starscream losing his transformation cog or Silas being injured is not changing the status quo. The status quo is broken when something ireversable happens. Not when a character's story advances a bit or some guy shows up to just stand around and take part in gun fights.

Say next week the Nemesis crashes into Autobot HQ and both forces are forced to relocate and change tactics. That's changing the status quo. Smokescreen showing up and Optimus getting a new sword is not changing the status quo (at leats not yet in regards to the latter. It just got here) but say next week the Star Saber is lost or rendered inert than it doesn't count.

Status quo is week after week being roughly the same group of shmucks looking for some ancient Cybertronian thing. When the primary goal of the characters changes so will the status quo. As such the show is still firmly set in it's ways.

3. SuperSeeker

SuperSeeker City Commander

Well said. You see, major plot points seem to come and go within the same episode. Con Job, Flying Mind, and Human Factor just to take out a few examples from the list you've provided. They all introduced new threats with the potential to change the landscape of the overall story but were all ultimately resolved in relatively short amount of times and the threats were no more. Nothing really changed after all. That's just the way this show is going to work, with a new gimmick every week to keep us interested but not actually altering the direction of the overall story (whatever it is).

My resolve has been basically to treat Prime as I do G1. Not quite masterpieces but still good old fashioned fun Transformers style

4. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

status quo   
    noun
    the existing state or condition.

5. SGTsoundwave

SGTsoundwave Steam Powered Automaton

again, I shall keep quoting my favorite musical: "the status is not quo" bonus points for guessing the musical.

6. HeroicC300

HeroicC300 Chats with Artists

News Credits:
    That was Horrible.

Honestly, if they upset the status quo too much it'd be annoying. Now if the S1 finale had been more severe, that'd be different. What an upset status quo is; something that irrevocably changes things. We can't have everything be MTMTE SPLIT.

7. SGTsoundwave

indeed it was. but yeah, the show is changing but the status quo isn't. we've still got all of the main cast.

8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For fuck sake people. Either get over it or leave the show, it's that simple.

9. Jive Guru

Jive Guru Professional Amateur

status quo definition:
    The existing order of things; present customs, practices, and power relations: “People with money are often content with the status quo.”

Actually, what I said is, in fact, correctly altering the Status Quo. True, while not completely altering the fabric of reality itself with each addition or subtraction as you seem to think it means, things do in fact change.

Not everything resets back to zero point by episodes end.
    We may not SEE the differences from episode to episode, but they are there.

What you seem to want (and others besides) is a Sea Change. A vast sweeping alteration, something that changes everything. And rightly so, I too, hope there is a great change coming soon.

However, when people say "Oh, the writers are just keeping up their precious Status Quo!" well, that's just not true. It's called Subtly people!

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    That makes no sense at all.

Having shit actually happen in a TV show is annoying? Honestly I feel like half the shit that happens in this show is pointless.

Give me one good reason why we can't.

No, I'm serious. Is there some reason we can't have the same quality of writing in the shows as we do in the comics? Is there something blocking the writers from doing their job of delivering a good story?

No it isn't.

I wish this "like the show or fuck off" mentality existed back in 2007 and 2008.

Then the show is not doing it's job, sicne if we can't see it, we can't know it. It is a show we watch with our eyes. We are not clairvoyant.

Subtlety is not the same as invisibility.

11. SuperSeeker

SuperSeeker City Commander

Angry much? This what the forum is here for, so that we can openly discuss what we like and don't like about the show.

12. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

Darn you for beating me to it!

"We got his dry cleaning bill: Four sweater vests!"

13. SGTsoundwave

there's a reason they call me johnny snow.

14. LordPrime

LordPrime Dark Lord

I had no idea not breaking the "Status Quo is God" trope automatically makes a show suck. :tongue: 

15. Darkscream

Darkscream Well-Known Member

Its called syndication. Shows which must re-air in a very specific order to be understood do not do well in syndication, which the network higher-ups mandate in order to generate continued revenue. Look at a show like 24 which was a GREAT show, and where is the re-airs of it? Meanwhile look at Law & Order or CSI, 'meh' shows with a status quo which gets enough replay shoved down everyone's throat. Where are the re-airs of Beast Machines? The TF show i felt had the best progressive storyline of any TF show (tho i slightly disagree with the whole organic direction). But does not appear in syndication due to the need to be replayed in specific orders, where people must return every day and not miss a day or they lose interest from missing important story elements. Story telling for TV is generally constricted by the head network executives, not the writers. The executives want stories which are resolved in 1 sitting, and episodes which can be watched in random orders without leading to much confusion over the current status quo. It is an entirely different beast from comics.

I'm not saying Prime couldnt use some improvement. In my experience, in recent years, the best TV stories (that arent fights with network executives to get produced) are ones where each episode resolves the story and conflict within, but each episode sort of places a hint, or adds a seed, or in some way builds upon a more seasonal story which then suddenly comes to a head at the season finale. I've noticed the producers on Doctor Who since the 11th doctor seem to do this very well. Each episode seems entirely stand-alone, then suddenly the season finale hits and you see how all these little pieces seeded throughout the season suddenly culminate into a climatic story. This type of story telling continues to do well into syndication, thus continuing to generate revenue for the networks.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I agree with absolutely everything Split Lip is saying in here.

Also, syndication really has nothing to do with it. Transformers Animated is being aired again, and the show has a plot that moves forward almost every episode, and the episodes are being shown in order. Also look at shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, or Angel. Still being shown to this day despite having a constantly advancing plot in every episode, and the episodes are shown in order.

The only thing to blame for Prime's lack of actual story progression is the writing team. Nothing else is a factor.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It does seem like after all these episodes it's still just a small group of Autobots hanging out doing bugger all in a mountain while the Decepticons fly around in their ship and occasionally they both go out to look for something and have a bit of a ruck. Sure some stuff has happened within that and some characters have come and gone and whatever, but nothing has really shaken everything up.

Beast Wars was great at giving everything a big rattle now and then. If it wasn't mostly taking away the threat of energon radiation after the transwarp wave (which also left one moon gone forever) and introducing stable energon cubes out of it, then it was new bodies for characters on a regular basis (sometimes with new abilities, like Cheetor being able to fly), the destruction of both the Maximal and Predacon bases, introduced the Ark and protecting the timeline, new weird alien shit regularly cropping up to send everyone in a new direction or even steal characters away and change them forever. Characters changed sides and stayed on those new sides, something TFP has suggested the potential for and then never delivered on.

Beast Wars was over ten years ago, also restricted by being fully CGI, also had a small cast of characters, and yet still managed to give everyone interesting and pretty well rounded characters and motivations and change things up on a regular basis. So what's TF: Prime's excuse?

18. LotusoftheLeaf

LotusoftheLeaf Well-Known Member

I think the reason why they try to keep stories contained in only one or two episodes is to make it easier to access, which in turn would get more kids watching. You could tune in to any random episode and get what's happening without needing to see all the episodes that aired before it.

I know whenever I get into a new show, like an anime, I need to see it from the beginning because it's just too confusing to jump in the middle and try to figure out what's happened up to that point. With TFP you can come in at any time really and have enough of an understanding of what's going on.

Now, whether or not this is a good approach is a matter of opinion, but I personally don't mind it.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^ Pretty much This.

Though I think they should be able to do a bit more with it.

20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    While there have been small progressions, the "status quo" complaints come from shit like Unicron is the Earth!/Optimus is now Orion and is siding with Megatron!/BB lost his T-Cog!/Bulkhead is GRAVELY injured! being introduced and completely undone within the course of a few episodes.