The State of Transformers 2016

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Discussion' started by rherk, Aug 9, 2016.

1. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
  2. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Disagree on some of the finer points.

The MP style of right now, is indeed an acquired taste.
    However, one good line or curve detail on a sculpt is always better than ten mediocre lines. Just like Takara Shockwave's legs. None of the 3P Shockwaves get it right.

As for Generations. Yes they ARE killing it. The width, depth and play pattern values for such a mass production mainline in current times is unprecedented. There is finally focus, instead of the hodgepodge mix Generations used to be.
    You want mini masterpieces ? Well... then you get stuff like those new deluxe sized Gobots and be ready to pay 45 bucks. For 5 dollar less you can have a Takara Titans Returns, which look pretty darn perfect.

Also, be glad that Hasbro hinted that Titans Return and its continuation will not be compromised by the upcoming Bay movie stuff.

That is a major first right there.

Except for a few minor circumstantial imperfections - which is a thing of all times - the state of official Transformers is fantastic.

3. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Thanks! I always enjoy hearing others thoughts on this.

4. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Is this the appropriate forum for this? This isn't a review, it's a video blog entry.

5. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Please advise me of where you would recommend posting this. It seemed appropriate to me. However, if it's causing any problems, I can relocate it.

6. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Probably just the Toys forum. I mean, the rules for this one pretty clearly say that this is for video REVIEWS only (their caps, not mine) so... yeah.

7. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    LOL! Ok! If it becomes a "serious issue" and destroys the harmony and the lives and community, I'll gladly move it. Thanks

8. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    https://youtu.be/1FhIyvVCUyg

I was asked to move this here from another forum member. It was in video reviews. I don't particularly care what heading it's under. I just wanted to share. If a moderator would prefer this moved to another section. please feel free to just let me know. Thanks and enjoy!

9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Eh. There's nothing in this video that isn't being repeated at nausea around the forums.

10. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    Good! So we are right on point!

11. mAk

mAk Well-Known Member

That guy on the left, the one petting the cat, I pet that's the only kitty he's ever pet lol.

12. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    This is laughably bad.

This is just a video form of pretty much SO many TF forums. From the praising of Third Party to the hatred of the Bay Films. I know they said they don't mean to disrespect people (like me) who like the Bay Films but I don't buy it. Don't collect MP or 3rd Party so I didn't care wha they had to say on them and they didn't really touch on anything like RID or Titans Return.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    If you're going to post a video about fans ranting about Transformers, prepare to have a thick skin.

14. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    You are absolutely right. My bad.

15. mAk

mAk Well-Known Member

Some people have waaaaay too much time on their hands

16. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So I'm half way through watching this .....and my question is this:

What DOES the guy on the left like? In other words....what are some home run figures in HIS opinion?

And I'm not asking to be a douche....I'm really wondering, like what's the benchmark or precedent, in his opinion?

I ask because ALL the stuff the guy on the right mentioned, HE hated.

17. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    LOL. As the guy on the right, I don't hate everything. I love Binaltech, Beast Wars, Transformers Animated, the first half of the Masterpiece series, Car/Robots, Diaclone era G1, many CHUG, Combiner Wars and Titans Return. As for Brian (I think he's on the left. The guy without the beard), I hate speaking for him but he's really been into a lot of the third party stuff such as Apollyon, Masterpiece, Titans return. He was very into MP Ironhide. After you finish watching the entire episode, if you still feel like you don't quite have any idea, I'll reach out to him to let him answer. Thanks! Do I have left and right wrong? LOL

18. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

This..your absolutely right

19. Megatron276

Megatron276 destroyer

I'm with you on this

20. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I understand you guys - and indeed, we all have our own preferences on so many levels.

However, if we were to discuss 'the state of Transformers', I think we should acknowledge there are two distinct perspectives on this matter:

1. Point of view of the single individual consumer; be it a kid, an adult collector or otherwise.

2. The state of Transformers as a mass consumer product brand.

Now what I notice in this fandom, we 30-something aged collectors tend to look at things purely from individual consumer perspective.

In this matter, I always suggest people to look at the bigger picture ; the state of Transformers as a brand. One of the main gauges for this, is of course the mainline CHUG / Generations.

Let's be honest to ourselves and look at the past 10 years of mainline Transformers - because the vocal sentiment of collectors has been lamenting about mainline since Combiner Wars. But is that really justified ?

If we take a more objective look at mainline years such as 2010 ; it was in fact very narrow, even entirely lacking voyager and leader class figures.

In the following years the mainlines featured a handful of standout mainline figures, but these lines were padded with WFC, FOC and movie mold repaints. A total lack of cohesion in terms of styling, play pattern and scaling.

By the time mainlines hit thrilling 30's, they manage to gel things together a bit more under the IDW monnicker, but in fact the mainline was still filler padded with molds from other Transformers continuities and repaints which end up as really loose homages ( RTS Blurr from the Drift mold for example )

And... each and every of those years, mainlines had to share production budget and shelf space with Bayformers.

Finally, with Combiner Wars we got all those combiner teams ; something we could have only dreamt of in previous years ; all in proper scaling in relation to each other and a sense of cohesion in terms of styling and play pattern. Simply, the width of character line up hadn't been done in mainline to that extent before, despite a certain percentage being repaints/retools ; they still all shared a level of cohesion and equal value of play pattern.

Now Titans Return, takes the line up width even further and it addresses some of Combiner Wars' shortcomings ; now with more refined transformations, more refined sculpts and a return of some articulation points such as wrist swivels.
    Finally getting all those Headmasters in proper scaling to eachother. A fan favorite such as Brainstorm ; we get him in Walgreens G1-toy deco, SDCC exclusive deco and Takara Headmaster deco.

So yeah... the 'collector of premium TF collectibles' within us might complain about a few hollow bits here and there, but the overal merits and width of these CW and TR lines is quite the accomplishment in these economic times.

HasTak might feel a bit of heat from 3P collectibles, premium Star Wars and Marvel content and even digital media, but I think the state of Transformers as a brand in the context of mass market product, is stronger than ever.