The Star Trek Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Nightwind, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I recently started watching The Next Generation reruns and was reminded about how much I used to love watching this show when I was younger! It really is fantastic!

Since there weren't any Transformers to buy, I decided to start myself a TNG collection. I was glad to find that I could purchase most of the toys I wanted MISP for as little as $3-$4!

These are all the TNG toys that I've purchased in May and June:

Most of the main crew. (Not intersted in finding a Yar figure yet.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Locutus and some Borg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Extras
    [​IMG]

The figures for the movie First Contact are much larger than the original run. I wasn't aware of that when I bought my Beverly Crusher figure to go along with the others that I had purchased. As a result, I decided to just purchase the rest of the main crew in that size! I'm really glad that I did because they're actually very good figures, IMO...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once again, my lack of knowledge caused me to buy figures that weren't in the same size class as the main run that I started collecting. I got these Galoob figures in a lot and when I got them in I realized that they're only about 3 3/4" tall! Oh well, I'm still glad I have them in the collection!
    [​IMG]

I love the "Engage" pose of this Picard figure!
    [​IMG]

I would love to see a ton of contributions to this thread! Are you a fan of the original series? How about TNG like me? Deep Space Nine or (gasp!) Enterprise? Let's see some Star Trek love, folks!

2. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice collection. The only Star Trek action figures I have are the horrible Playmates ones for the recent "Star Trek" movie that came out last year. The 6 inch ones are better than the small 3.75 inch ones. I think the best ones to have come out are from Diamond Select, the 6 inch scale (which is actually about 7 inches tall). I have:

Playmates Star Trek 3.75":

Captain Kirk
    Spock *young*
    Sulu

6":

Captain Kirk
    Spock *Young*
    Spock *Old*
    Montgomery Scott

Diamond Select 6" scale:

Captain Picard
    Dr. Beverly Crusher

Captain Kirk
    Mr. Spock

3. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Awesome figures! I had a few of those TNG Figures when I was a kid, man I loved those.

When the reboot movie came out, I looked high and low in Taiwan for the big Enterprise toy that was released, but not a single store stocked any of the Star Trek toys. Then, when I went home to Canada for a visit this past February, I found one at the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Alas, it was just too damn big to fit into my luggage! :( 

4. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

It's a shame the 09 movie figures are so terrible. They're still clogging the shelf at TRU.

I really miss the old playmates Star Trek lines.

5. Falldown

Falldown Well-Known Member

I have a few of those in a tub somewhere. First Contact Data was the first I got as a gift from a friend. I later picked up Tasha Yar, Generations Geordi in the DS9 style uniform, Jadzia Dax in the TNG style uniform, EMH, Tuvok, B'Elanna Torres and Neelix.

Never new there were 3 3/4 scale Trek figures apart from the ones made for the new movie. Guess they didn't get released here. Would've loved those when I was younger for some crazy Trek/Wars crossovers :p .

I've looked at the Diamond Select Next Gen figures, but getting the entire main cast would be a little too expensive at $30AUD a figure :crazy: .

6. halconfenix

halconfenix Anime Geek!

i guess i should (re)post this here then...

[​IMG]

Diamond Select Enterprise-D

my favorite of all ships... and the only Star Trek toy i have.... for now...

7. rob_charb

That is one gorgeous Enterprise-D. The TNG Enterprise has always been one of my favourite designs, tied with the OS Enterprise, but I have to admit the E is the all-time favourite. Just something about the Enterprise-E screams awesome to me.

Any chance Diamond Select did an E?

8. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have many Trek figures from over the years, but Playmates (1990s run) are definitely the best. I have the original series and TNG crew out on display atm.

As with the OP, the relative lack of collector interest in this line is great at the moment - sealed figures for around £3 delivered can't be bad. An "ultra rare" figure (O'Brien from Trials & Tribbleations) went for £10 shipped recently. If that's the MOST you'll need to spend on a figure, you know that collecting the line isn't going to be wallet-busting.

I only wish they'd have made more e.g. Ezri Dax, Martok, Damar, Season 1 Riker etc.

9. Dai-Guard

Dai-Guard Well-Known Member

10. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    the only trek toys i have are the 09 ones. i got all the 3.75 ones and both of the playsets

11. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Thanks for the thread contributions everyone! Let's keep it going! I would love to see some pics of the collections that you all have! :) 

Season 1 Riker is one that I definitely wish had been made! With all of the different character versions out there, I really don't know why "Babyface" Riker was skipped!

Thanks! It sucks that you couldn't get the Enterprise from the last movie! Even though I'm pretty much exclusively a TNG fan, I couldn't resist picking up that ship! The price was right and it really is nice to display!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mine is currently packed away in my closet until I can make some room for it, though...

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what is that mecha?

as for the Enterprise, man that is one sweet starship!

Nightwind, I am surprised that you aren't looking for Tasha Yar- to at least have a full 1rst season bridge crew.

I didn't collect the TNG figures because in my area, supply was iffy at best.

did the Playmates make any other starships like the Klingon Bird of Prey or Romulan ships?
    if i had more room, i would like the OS Enterprise, the TNG Enterprise, Klingon BoP and Romulan Warbird and not much else.

EDIT: just to help out a little (since i was curious about the ships) here is a reference:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Playmates_Toys

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  13. rob_charb

If you're talking about the Transformer, I believe that's Recon Barricade.

Nightwind, thanks for posting those pics of the Enterprise...now I really regret not being able to pick it up! :mad 

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok. thanks. the angle of the pic threw me for a loop.

after reading a little, i hope that the ST toys stay inexpensive for a while longer.
    i learned they made a healthy amount of starships i wouldn't mind getting, just have to wait till October or November to start buying them.

15. Falconhood

Falconhood Harbinger of Apokalypse

Hey, i just identified about 40 figures i got this week-end for 50 cents to $1.41 at the toy show, and is there a great visual ID guide out there? The last ones i FINALLY id'd was VORGON 5" Vorgon  / 2nd Series Stock No 6061
    and TOSK 5" Tosk/ 2nd Series Stock No 6237
    this morning...argh, those were almost impossible to ID, i couldn't recall which series they were in. They were part of the 50 cent figures that came with nothing.
    I got 18 $1/2 figs
    27 $1 baggie figs with all weapons and card cut-outs of profile and accessory info.
    14 MINT on CARD figs that were in a lot for $3 each, or $20 for the box...i got the box.
    ...also...
    got the BRIDGE PLAYSET!!! $43.10 at the indoor flea market, it's awesome! came in the box and didn't smell at all.
    also, got the Phoenix Warp-drive Ship mint in box for $8...did i forget anything?
    but this has been an expensive, yet fruitful Star Trek visit at the Toy Show.
    Did I do good?

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    SHUT UP WESLEY!

In only have a few Star Trek toys weirdly, I think its because the general quality hasn't astounded me. I have a 2009 Spock and Kirk, who are currently running through my Star Wars BMF, an Art Asylum Enterprise NX-01, a Corgi Bird of Prey, which seems to be in scale with my nice Bandai Enterprise NCC 1701 self lit model, which is still the dogs doodahs IMO.

A pic later if I can find the one I took years ago.

17. Falconhood

oh...and if that wasn't enough, I won this auction, so this will be coming soon! I asked if the seller could look for the huge 18" by 21" oval plastic base for the Bridge since all the walls are there.
    [​IMG]
    ‎-57 Action Figures
    - 5 Ships
    - 2 Playsets
    - 1 Collector's Case
    I don't mind the doubles, i can use them in different dioramas on display.
    but wow, I got 59 figs at the Toy Show/Flea Market, and now 57 more...I gotta find some room in my already crowded house. Plus, I used my son's old room as a junk room, now I gotta make it ready for him when he gets done with his tour with the army next year.

18. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
  19. Falconhood

do you guys think that too-many size/scales contributed to the collapse of the line's popularity? or was it just the lack of TV shows?
    3.5", 4.5", 6", 8", 12" ...oh, and micro-playset-scale(whatever that would be? 0.5"?)
    And now 7" and 3.75"
    Which would be the best size for this line? I know that i'd love to have 3.75" if i could magically convert all of my figures to one size, but since most of my figures are 4.5" it would be prolly the best for collectors IF Playmates ever revived the line.
    I know for me, I always thought that the very nicely detailed heads looked too big on the 4.5 scale bodies. Maybe if Hasbro got the license for the 2nd neoStar Trek movie???They can do small scale right.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    To be honest though, the smaller Star Trek figures from the latest film are pretty much on a par with Hasbro stuff, at least as good as Hasbros Spider-man offerings.

They had decent likenesses, decent articulation (only the hips could have done with more swivel points) and a couple of accessories each IIRC. True, the 'stand/badge' was probably the arsest accessory I've ever seen (as a stand it couldn't actually support any figure? WTF?) but my Kirk and Spock running through the Millenium Falcon chasing down a Terminator (from Salvation) with Phasers is pretty cool.

No, I think the reason Star Trek toys aren't doing well is because kids today don't seem to like Star Trek? I mean I love the new Trek film, it has flaws and issues, but generally I like what they did to reinvigorate a dying franchise, but I'm a 32 year old guy with fond memories of TNG>TOS>TNG>DS9>VOY and yes, even some of ENT.

You give 2009 Star Trek to some kid whose only TV recollection is Enterprise and all he see's is a actiony space movie.

Hmm. Now that I think about it although the 3 3/4'' figures were cool, the bridge playset looked like ass. And the bigger figures didn't appeal at all... and the 12 inchers were pretty much discounted on a weekly basis.