The Spiritual Side of Superman Returns...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Thats real interesting. But its just the formulaic hero template. The story of Jesus follows the template so its only natural that other hero stories draw from the same attributes. Take Cool Hand Luke for example, parallels greatly with the story of Christ, or Luke Skywalker from Star Wars. Its in a lot of fiction work

3. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Wait, there was a story in Superman Returns?
    Could have fooled me.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Interesting.

I recall someone put up a link a while ago about Superman and religion, and there was a scan of Supes having a conversation with a priest. I never followed the comics, but it was a pretty cool read.

5. TSFC

TSFC Banned

If people are that oblivious to the allegories, then they're complete brain cases.

You can see it all a mile away.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I counted no fewer than 12 examples of Christ imagery while I was watching it. Then I counted that as being 13.

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Maybe he's trying to tap into Christian market by having those Christ imagery in the film.. I mean the part where he spreads his arms like crucifix is quite obvious to everyone. Still don't make the movie any better. SR is still a disappointing film imo.

8. Jux

The way I see it, Superman Returns would have been a pretty good film had Batman Begins not set such a high bar.

9. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Movie's got to stand on it's own, one way or the other. Many of us could enjoy X3 despite the fact that it failed to clear the bar set by X2, SM2 and BB.

The problems with SR were, IMO:

1) BS fell in love with it too damn much. Like PJ and King Kong, there was some serious editing that went undone and it hurt the film. Same story could've been told in about 10 minutes less time.

2) Being an orphan, BS says he identified with SM. Problem is lots of people ID with Superman for different reasons, but BS seemed to make SM more like him, strengthening his sense of isolation, giving him a love he can't have and a child he'd be denied. He royally screwed with a mythology that has, by and large, worked very well for almost 70 years, and it's going to put serious kinks in plans for a sequel. This is the one time where it was a mistake for the director to try to put his personal stamp on the property.

3) Basing it on 2 films that, dear as they are to me, are seriously dated. It's been nearly 30 years since the first film came out, 20 since S4. It was time for a fresh start.

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    No, Superman's been Space Jesus for decades. Even the first Superman movie had a few references. Returns was just more blatant about it. Luthor scourged him and then pierced his side with a kryptonite spearhead, for crying out loud.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    uh-oh, uh-oh....i feel a fanart coming.

12. Jux

Well, Superman punching out KA wasn't a very Christian thing to do.

13. TSFC

TSFC Banned

No, but it damn sure looked like a lot of fun.

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bah. That flick needed more General Zod. But then again, pretty much any movie would be better with Zod.

15. misterd

Blasphemer! ALL movies would be better with Zod. NO EXCEPTIONS! Now kneel, you filthy dog, and pray that Lord Zod takes mercy on your transgression by ending your pitiful existence quickly!

16. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

It's really interesting is that the person who created Superman was Jewish. He drew heavily on the legends of the Golum, but later writers made him into a more Christlike character.

17. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Uh...up until Donner's cut (which came out about 2 weeks ago), Zod just wasn't that cool. Proof that a bad director can ruin what was meant to be really good.

Now? Zod rocks. Before, no. NO ZOD FOR YOU!

18. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just watch Superman Returns on Saturday. I was a bit disappointed too. Surprisingly Brandon Routh was not a disappointment. I thought his mannerisms were spot on with Christopher Reeve's take on Supes.

Kevin Spacey underwhelmed me. Parker Posey's character was too cliched. Kate Bosworth just isn't Lois Lane, and the plot made me go "They are just expecting me to accept it all with no explanation, huh?" To me the crystal encased in the kryptonite creating land seemed forced.

I think I've been spoiled by Smallville. As lackluster as some of the episodes can be, I love the characters. Smallville Lex is a ruthless business man with his own agenda, but not evil for the sake of being evil. He is smart. I feel the animated series captured that as well.

Movie Lex (Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey) seem more off kilter, not thinking things through, and being evil for the sake of being evil. They don't seem to be a real threat to Superman.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh snap! Donner's cut made Zod BETTER? That does it, to Target!

20. misterd

That was one of the things I like. Given that they are basing this off the original films (which I do think was an error), I thought it was a clever way of using established history (power of crystal and Lex's obsession with real estate) to create a world-threatening plot.

Movie Lex is based off Silver Age Lex, criminal mastermind super genius, who hated Superman because Superboy made him bald. Not exactly a well hinged sort.

Smallville Lex is a mix of Silver Age Lex in some ways (friend of Superboy who turns evil), and Post-Crisis Lex (egotistical, scheming multi-billionaire).