The Spirit reviews

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Niiiiiice.

The Spirit :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

FlickFilosopher.com: The Spirit (review)

And if that's all too tl;dr for you, then let's go with a picture that says more then a thousand words ever could (NSFW!): http://i44.tinypic.com/212etec.jpg

2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Never trust anybody else's reviews. Judge for yourself. Speed Racer flopped because of bad reviews and it wasn't that bad - I loved it, personally.

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Normally I would agree, but come on...Roger Ebert saying it sucks HARD... Frank Miller (who has become a walking parody of himself) writing and directing it...

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I wanna see it, but Miller's movie visual style is becoming tiresome I must say.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Urk.

I was sorta pumped about maybe seeing this today...not anymore. Benjamin Button, here I come!

6. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

I'd rather not waste my money that way. Speed racer at least managed to get a few good positive reviews, and alot of the negative ones I read at least acknowledged the intended audience-anime fans and people just looking for some campy fun in their movies. But the bad reviews right across the board for this movie...yeah I'm staying far away from it.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I've been wary of reviews ever since that horrible (in my eyes) remake of King Kong a few years ago. The critics raved about it and its CGI, but the movie itself sucked hard.

8. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I watched The Spirit yesterday and I enjoyed it, not as much as Sin City or 300 but I had a better time than the Dark Knight (in my opinion.) That reminds me, my Huevos Rancheros are ready. :p 

9. GuitarHero09

GuitarHero09 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    movie was weird. but i had no knowledge of "the spirit" before going in though.

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just read the Wikipedia entry for the character... what the fuck was Miller thinking?

Why didn't he just do Sin City 2? Oh wait... he did...

11. moocow

moocow God.

Yeah, I'll probably go downlo....I mean go to the theater tomorrow with my friends to go see it.

12. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I have no interest in seeing this movie just because of Miller. I swear the guy just keeps doing crazy crap just to see what he can get away with, and people are letting him get away with it. The fiasco in Allstar Batman proves this point.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For anyone who's seen the movie, I just want to know one thing: Does The Spirit at any time call himself "The Goddamn Spirit?"

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And after this, rumors are spreading that Miller may get to helm the Buck Rogers flick.
    day-um. that 70s series was bad, but it didn't demand the sodomy Miller's gonna give it.

i wanted The Spirit to succeed, but not at suckage.

15. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Buck Rogers wasn't the 70's....

16. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Yes it was, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century premiered in 1979 to be exact, though I guess you can call it 80s since it lasted till 81.

As for the Spirit. I've come to the realization that Frank Miller hates super heroes. Looking back over his work, from the Dark Knight Returns, to All Star Batman, and now the Spirit. He does his best to destroy the idea of the classic comic book super hero in every way possible.

I've always liked Eisner's spirit. He wasn't really a super hero though, he was a masked detective, and crime buster more in the mold of the Shadow or the Spider. He didn't have any powers, just his fists, his wits, and his tenacity. And Eisner didn't write him as a super hero either. The character spanned genres, some stories being comedies, others dramatic affairs, crime noir showed up alot and at times sci fi twists made appearances. He's been around forever and he's evolved a great deal.

What Miller has done however is not true to the character, its not an homage or an evolution. Its a spoof, a parody. Its got alot of the same tones as the Adam West Batman. Lots of camp and exaggerated stereotypes. Painful as hell in places, funny as hell in others. My friend who had never heard of the character before the film left the theater confused, amused, and wondering what the hell he'd jsut watched.

I actually enjoyed the movie by the end, once I realized what it was I was actually watching. On the other side of the coin though I almost walked out fifteen minutes in as the opening is painful as hell.

17. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Technically 1979 would make it the 70... Since after 79 they had run out of 70's...

18. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It's to bad Miller couldn't show Will Eisner the same respect Rodriguez and Snyder showed him and made it look like the comics and not force his own style into it.

19. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

Which of Eisner's multitude of styles would you have liked him to go with. The Spirit really never had a consistent style or even genre during its run. Eisner used it as a vehicle for his experimentation in art and story telling during its entire run.

Having had a day to digest the flick I enjoyed it, and having read back over some of Eisner's work I think he might have as well, it shares some of the same quirky humor. I won't say its a good movie, because its not. But its enjoyable for what it is. I would like to see a another take with less Sin City style CG and some better written dialogue though.

At least Miller was kind enough to hav himself killed in the opening scenes for us though:) 

20. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    My point is Miller is so proud of his style he apparently can't do anything but that, so maybe he should just stick to his own work where it fits.