The Source Material is a Lot More Interesting Due to 1986 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Galvatross, Sep 22, 2017.

1. NaCl

NaCl Noobie who likes boobies

They basically did that with Prime, minus Megatron and Prime always being present. And the characters were fleshed out a bit more, even giving a few vehicons speaking roles.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    I agree with the first sentence.

3. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    S3 had the problem it but had to both mature to keep hold of the aging fans from S1, but also dum down to grab new younger fans.
    Marvel UK got it right by never dumming down and is why it lasted longer than the cartoon.

Also, in 1987 onwards Hasbro was pumping out space vehicle Autobots and horror monster Deceptions. The show had to stay space age to fit the toys.

My MP collection I consider as being on earth in 1999. Means I can have hot rod amongst the 84 cast.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I remember waiting years to see the Return of Optimus Prime. The video used the packaging art with Powermaster Prime and Skullgrin. It was blatant false advertising for a horrible cartoon with shit animation, really annoying humans and total disregard for the much better Dark Awakening.

You're spot on. Marvel UK never dumbed down the writing. Their stories still hold up 30 years later. Even as a kid, I thought the cartoon was childish. I much preferred the UK comic.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

This. The interesting Decepticons are gone. Starscream is a pile of ashes. Shockwave is crashed under some tower. Soundwave is mute. The Constructicons and Combaticons and Stunticons are drones at best. Really, the only actual character among them is Galvatron and maybe Cyclonus or Octane. The Autobots fare a little better but not much.

But...production values falling through the floor didn't help either. The linework is terrible, the coloring is dull, the animation is choppy to the point of looking like an animatic, and the voices...holy cow...many of them are ultra-raspy or have this over-echoed flanging effect going on that's actually painful to listen to. There's practically nothing redeeming between TFTM and TRoOP and then, after the magnificent send-off that was TRoOP, AKOM shits the bed again with the abomination that was Rebirth. Even if you're willing to buy into the gimmick or its backstory, the execution is bad enough to kill it twice. A fourth season of only three episodes was a mercy killing.

I can accept people preferring pre-movie over Challenge of the GoBots. It's wrong but I can accept it. Post-movie, though, that's just demented.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    It's rather strange to read about a difference in interesting Decepticon characterisation from post to pre movie. Starscream was never interesting to me, he just got a lot of screentime for his never ending shtick.
    But even if you include him your "interesting characterisations" pre movie are:
    Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave (And considering those two interesting in the cartoon really is nostalgia talking, but i'll follow) Starscream, Bombshell, Swindle (he's hardly a character, but i know a lot of people call being depicted as a one dimensional near mute version of your toyprofile in one episode a characterisation), a bunch of interchangable thughs (unless you want to argue any of the combiner members had any meaningfull characterisation during the entire cartoon.) Did i mention i am bring generous?
    post movie you got
    Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Octane, Mindwipe, Zarak, About the same amount of thugs.
    I don't see much difference.
    Offcourse the post movie Decepticons had to contend with the Quintessons, so less characterisation would be logical, but even so i think the post movie guys i named had quite as much and considering screentime more interesting characterisation than the pre movie Decepticons.

7. Prime Noble

The Return of Optimus Prime was terrible. Very annoying human villains.

The Hate Plague scenes might have been watchable if they weren't all painted red.

Optimus Prime coming back is nothing to celebrate either. He kept the war going 4 million years and spent most of it deactivated on Earth.

Even before he got the Matrix, his Orion Pax self was horrible. Horrible name, horrible head design and horrible personality.

Rodimus Prime reclaimed the Matrix from Galvatron, getting himself an upgrade in the process. He defeated Unicron and reclaimed Cybertron for the Autobots.

8. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

For the record Optimus cannot be held responsible for the war continuing during the 4 million years he was deactivated on earth

On the other hand he fought that war for 5 million years before he crash land on earth so……

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prime Noble

And whose fault was it that he was deactivated on Earth?

10. Altered Prime

Technically the blame and fault of the person who started the war or more directly at least the one who launched the attack that resulted in the crash

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prime Noble

Fair point.

12. Altered Prime

Thank you

• Like Like x 1