The sound

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Brodimus Prime, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    I seem to remember somone--either Orci, Murphy, or somone else--saying that the original transformation sound would be present in the film. I realize we didn't get to hear it in the teaser trailer, but those transformations of Blackout and Prime weren't complete, just quick shots. I think if they actually want to cash in on the nostalgia aspect the film presents, then the sound needs to be there.

Any word yay or nay on whether or not the sound will be there?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Eh, it would be cool, and I personally think if they were going to put it in there that they should updated it and make it more realistic sounding, but it's not all that important to me. I'm not a big fan of G1, but I do respect it as being the begining of what we know as Transformers. Peace out.

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i dont know, that sound is really not realistic. i mean, is a giant killer alien robot going to make that sound? i think they will likely throw the sound in somewhere else as something else. a little nostalgic reference, such as the "Takara" in the bottom right corner when they're listening to the audio feed in the pentagon.

4. betetta

betetta guitar face

there is something similar to the original in the sound that blackout makes when he transforms, imo that similarity is enough

5. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Sorry, I disagree, just the clashing of metal and all doesnt sound like a lama preparing its loogie lol. But everything else seem pretty neat ^^

6. Poho

News Credits:
    was there a llama character in the beast wars line of toys? lol anyway, no i don't think that sound should be used at all as a transformation noise. it's completely absurd.

7. Optimus Prime Super Mode

Optimus Prime Super Mode Autobots

The sound which is given in the pentagon bit always gives me shivers. I love it :D , and also the transforming sound is soooooo good

8. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Lol, know you hve me thinking about a character being a lama lol, Sigh" Yea, It just doesnt fit the whole 'Realistic asspect I guess. It would make plenty of oldschool fans happy though ^^

9. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Bring on the sound.

10. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    I think it would be cool to have in the movie, and yeah it would have to be updated or else it would be very goofy.

11. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I can't see the "classic" sound working unless each 'click' relates to a movement on screen. Once you do that, it ceases to be the "classic sound".

If they just slap the G1 sound over a complicated 'real' transformation you'd probably have casual viewers going "what's that weird noise?"

12. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

They'll probably sample the sound and have so many layers of other sounds over it that only someone who is looking for said sound could recognize it.

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I agree.

14. Poho

News Credits:
    i, too, agree with this statement.

15. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not just in response to this particular discussion, but about a lot of things in general: I don't like the "it isn't realistic" argument, because with that logic you may as well not make the movie at all. What about giant sentient robots from another planet that can transform into replicas of objects they scan around them for disguise is realistic again? Fantasy/Science FICTION is a step away from the real world, so why should how far away it's elements go be hindered? Find a better excuse imo

People don't second guess everything. Were the sound to be used for transformations, or a variation/updated version of it, your typical movie goer would see the transformation, hear the sound, and simply accept that it's a result of the action happening on screen. I'm not sure why anyone would be thinking "what is that weird noise." If someone were to dismiss the movie as too unrealistic just based off of that, then why did they ever walk into a theater showing the giant talking robot movie to begin with?

16. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Iguess the real point here is that you could make it pheasable to change and edit the sound to more match the transformation, but in escence their are to many "movingparts" to simply through it in. Which leads me to think, ILM has really got some hours into this lol :D 

17. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:
    Either have something that can be releated to the original sound or come up with something new but have everyone be able to identify it as the transforming noise when thy see the movie.

18. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Correctitude!!!:D 

19. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

It not just a case of "real"... More what's "acceptable" to a non-sci-fi oriented audience.
    There's no such thing as "realistic" science fiction because it is, by it's very nature, speculative.
    Despite this, why does the modern TV audience consider something like the new BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (for example) "realistic science fiction" while a show like 1960's LOST IN SPACE (again, for example) is dismissed by many as silly, camp nonesense?
    Simply, we take the standards around us and apply them to what we're watching. As soon as something goes to an extreme, the audience starts to question the reality.

Whether this is right or wrong isn't the point - I personally can use my imagination to accept anything - I love THUNDERBIRDS, STARGATE & STAR TREK for example and can accept all within their own context as being 'realistic', but someone who isn't used to the genre will immediately say "You can see the strings holding up the THUNDERBIRDS", "Those rocks are polystyrene" or "why do the Go'Uld wear such daft costumes?".

The TRANSFORMERS movie must cater to this section of the audience in a way the franchise has never had to before.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There's also a difference between selling a realistic concept and selling a realistic effect. Ktulu is comparing an unrealistic effect (the transforming sound) with an unrealistic concept (transforming robots from space). Those discussions should be kept separate. If an effect is obviously incongruous with the rest of the scene, it can destroy the audience's suspension of disbelief, whether the concept of the story is realistic or not. The G1 transforming sound would not fit what was going on in the "live action" transformation, so it needs to at least not be the only (or even primary) sound we hear.

Unrealistic concept = science-fiction or fantasy. We want that.
    Unrealistic effect = camp or cheese. We don't want that.

Should be pretty obvious.