The sound design...

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, May 20, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Is anyone besides me finding the sound effects and the like in this show... lacking? Sound is a big part of any show. For me it's what really makes it come alive. This is not about the voice acting, this is just about the sound effects and design. I watch TFPrime and hear it, and it just sounds like little effort was put in. I'm thinking like the details. The animation has all these little touches added in but the sound design is too bland to back it up.

In Animated, despite being a 2D cartoon, all the robots had unique sounds which made them come alive. All their footsteps were unique, and when they moved they all had different little touches that went with the character. Ratchet creaked reflecting his age, Bumblebee had almost toy-sounding movement reflecting his small size, likewise Bulkhead who had big heavy metal noises. This was also reflected in their footsteps, with BB sounding like he had pans for feet, and Bulkhead's big, thumping steps. It wasn't in your face, but it was there. No unique noises here, not even footsteps, which are all the same for each character. (albeit credit where it's due: the footsteps do get softer the farther away a character is, though only through use of cuts) Even Arcee, the smallest Autobot had the same heavy footsteps as the titanic Prime.

Another thing that bothers me to no end are the weapon and transformation noise. The transformation sound this series is awful. Not changed at all no matter what character is transforming or to which mode, and sometimes it doesn't even play when they transform. Though it doesn't even match up with any transformation. The weapons are likewise hella weak sounding. Just being "pew pew" and almost every explosion sounds the same. They don't even get unique weapon deploying sounds.

What's your opinion on the sound design? I know to most sound design doesn't matter as much as voice acting or animation as far as technical aspects go, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one who's noticed.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a lot of things about this show I find lacking, and this is one of them. I completely agree.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm the oddball here but I rather like the calm approach that's been taken with the sound effects, as it seems a lot more realistic to me, and doesn't serve to overpower what's going down. I get what you guys are saying in the variation though (Bulkhead vs Arcee for example), so that's something I wouldn't mind seeing upped a little bit. I just liked how it wasn't done like a typical cartoon with a lot of things being overexadurated & whatnot.

4. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I like the sounds.

Though I am getting tired of hearing the same laser noise over and over again.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    You've missed my point. I'm not saying it's needs to be overt or exaggerated. I'm saying it's not realistic. There's no reason Arcee, a small Autobot, should make the same footfalls as Optimus, who's easily four times her size. There's no individuality, no realism. The transformation noise is a prime example of how unrelaistic it is.

This approach isn't calm, that's the problem. It's lazy. It all sounds generic, it has no life. It's not calm, it's comatose.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh boy. Not that I don't agree with you, but inb4 "You're looking for realism in a Transformers show? lolol"

7. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, considering that I bitch about "unrealistic" cage matches in the WWE (like com'on, if the door is right there, why bother trying to climb out?) I'm the last person who should criticize realism in Transformers.

8. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Their sound editing company is some random dudes from LA, not surprised it sucks. But hey, not every part of the show can be good. Animated had great sound work, and in turn it had animation that looked like total ass. Cybertron too had awesome sound and soundtrack.... and in turn it had everything else that was ass.

9. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sound is viewed as the least important process in film making tragically. So watching Prime, It doesn't surprise me its not got very detailed soundscapes, unique ffx and such. they clearly spent all their money on the visuals and roping Cullen and Welker into reprising they're iconic roles in this. I'm sure Steve Blum isn't very affordable to have around either. I completely agree that sound is important, it gives character to everything but I doubt a show like Prime is focused on that. They're more focused on the animation.

10. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Too True! Excellent points.

But...maybe if the series continues to be popular..and when the toy line is finally introduced and sales are HUGE..they will be given a much larger sound effects budget for the next season. We can hope.
    As for now, I'm happy they are spending the budget as they have..on animation and VA's, but then, I'm not dissatisfied about the sound effects so far.

11. megapork

megapork Cheese

I dont have serious gripes about the Sound FX. It's mostly aimed at the guns and lazers and most of that is aimed at megatron's fusion cannon which should be better and awesomer and badasserer.

12. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

I actually agree. In Beast Wars, they each had their own transformation sound effects. Even the movies have individual transformation sounds. It doesn't really distract me, but I would like for the transformation sounds to be different, even if it was simply adjusting the pitch for each character.