The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    SOC Daizyujin is bigger than the Legacy MegaZord. Daizyujin is substantially heavier too. The impression I got from my B/G Legacy is that it's smaller/slender. SOC Daizyujin is a beast chunkier in the right ways with significant heft.

As far as being a better value, I disagree, I don't see that at all. As a matter of fact, I felt somewhat ripped off by buying the B/G MegaZord. Smaller than the original overall and I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed the moment I took it out of the packaging. Looks great sure. Meanwhile with the SOC MegaZord, it gives me nearly everything I ever wanted in a MegaZord toy 20+ years ago.

Could Bandai make it better? Of course. Will they? Probably not. I paid $80+ for the Legacy B/G MegaZord and was left wanting more that just wasn't there. I got the SOC Daizyujin knowing there probably wasn't going to be a better one ever made and being content with the results. It's not perfect sure, but it needs only minor changes to improve. Whereas the Legacy MegaZord would have to be extensively redesigned for me to like it, to the point where I'm content with my SOC Daizyujin.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Nah! It's a bit overpriced at $300. $268 the same release price as GGG would have been a perfect price point for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I rather think they will. Bandai has a long tradition of releasing "Black" versions of the Chogokin. They are for some reason wildly popular in Japan (never understood that? The ones I have are ugly as sin compared to the full color ones, but whatever floats yer boat.) I can see them doing a "Chrome Noir" version of Voltron. Or a Metallic version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Autocepticon

Autocepticon Well-Known Member

They expect people to pay over $200 + tax + shipping for this reissue and they can't even get the ears straight? Smh.

Attached Files:

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's not even fucking with them; they'd just be done.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No. No it's not. Some zords have different proportions but overall they form very comparably sized robots.

Again, there are slightly different proportions, most notably in the legs and the mammoth...in which the Legacy mammoth is larger but more squat...but is also heavier. That heft on the mammoth and the dense metal on the legs of the T-Rex add a significant amount of weight to the Legacy version. Perhaps it's the fact that most of the metal is less disperse...but having them in each hand, the Legacy just FEELS heavier. That's not to say SoC is light...just light-ER.

But you're the target audience for a $300 figure. For those who have to save up pennies and dimes, value is king. And if someone is willing to settle for a Legacy version for around $100 after-market, I don't blame them. It's honestly a great figure that is REALLY only held back by the use of stickers and no rolling wheels (which SoC surprisingly omitted as well).

But any improvements to the Legacy figure would come at a price that defeats the whole purpose of value...which I still believe is holding back sales of SoC Daizyuzin. If Legacy didn't exist...the SoC would be sold-out and going for $500-600 aftermarket. It still yet might if the Dragonzord gets released. But as it stands right now, there just aren't enough people out there willing to upgrade their Legacy Megazords for $200+.

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys, have anyone of you picked up Mazinkaiser? The regular import shop I frequent is tempting me but I want to know if it has any flaws or potential QC issues.

8. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to check for accuracy. Amazon lists the legacy megazord as 2.8 pounds and the SOC Megazord as 3.6 pounds. So yes the SOC Megazord is heavier, but relatively close to height to that of the legacy.

9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Also remember that SoC comes in larger, styrofoam packaging. That might account for some of that .8 pound difference.

10. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

Mazinkaiser's horns and chest fins can be knocked loose during shipping. On my figure at least, I got a scratch on the chest fin, but thankfully the chest crest covers it up.

The chest fins use some pretty thin pegs to attach to the chest balljoints; I've heard of two cases where they've been broken, one out of the box and the other from not being careful with it. Mine are fine, but I would suggest being careful where you hold the figure when attaching his backpack so you don't apply unnecessary force to the chest fins.

There was one review I saw where the white and black paint apps on the figure's helmet were poorly applied. No problems with mine.

In order to swap faces, you have take off the figure's head. The neck socket is pretty tight and on my figure I had to pull pretty hard to get it off. I'd recommend removing the horns first before taking the head off.

I think that's about it off the top of my head. QC seems to be pretty good, just be careful with the chest fins and when removing his head to swap faces and you should be fine. I also quoted my first impressions with the figure below if you're interested in going through my wall of text.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sup3hobo

News Credits:
    Alright, I'll get more specific and I'll use these reviews as my reference:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Legacy Megazord 25th Anniversary Reissue

Legacy " Megazord weighs 779 grams"

http://bravefortress.com/gallery/soul-of-chogokin-gx-72-daizyujin/

The SOC weights are as followed:

Tyrannosaurus – 320 Grams
    Mammoth – 280 Grams
    Triceratops – 235 Grams
    Saber Tiger – 272 Grams
    Pteranodon – 52 Grams
    Daizyujin – 1128 Grams

There you have it, the SOC Megazord weighs 349 more grams than the legacy megazord.

• Like Like x 4
  12. shogun221

shogun221 timewaster extraordinaire

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What confuses me about the GX-72 hate is that the criticisms seem to be about problems that have plagued the SoC line overall. SoC prioritizes sculpt, materials and finish, places where 72 is strong. Attention is paid to articulation but it's not the line's raison d'être. Sure, I would dig a Megazord that could pose better in the knees, waist and hands, but GodMars was apparently acceptable and he's a brick. There are some minor engineering snafus with the arms and knees, but other recent entries in the line have had worse. Hell, posing my Daioja with the anime-accurate parts is like transplanting a game of Jenga to a new table. And he's also a brick.

'72 looks gorgeous, has at least decent articulation for a gestalt, and he's a blast to handle in the transformation department. He's definitely not perfect. He could have been better. But still pretty great.

I think this is the main problem. With GoLion, your $300 gets you a bigger, heavier and better engineered figure than Megazord, packaged with a lot more accessories. A GX-72 with a $200-$250 MSRP would have probably led to a warmer reception. As it stands, it's hard to see what justifies him commanding $300.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Fair enough, I stand corrected on that point. But still, if the difference is barely over half a pound, the average joe isn't going to tell much difference without a scale.

14. Sup3hobo

News Credits:
    @Shin Densetsu noticed the weight difference without a weight scale and he's an average joe. I noticed the weight difference without a weight scale and I'm an average joe.

I see that you really favor the legacy megazord and nothing will convince you about the strengths of the SOC. So simply don't buy it or if you already did, sell it and be happy with the legacy megazord and call it a day. Enjoy what you want. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  15. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You are misconstruing my point. I'm actually quite happy with the SoC and Legacy toys. Both have a place on my shelves as they meet different needs. But my point is not about me.

The Power Rangers fan who is choosing between the two and may not be able to afford the SoC easily, the Legacy becomes a viable option because its value nearly exceeds that of the SoC in the ratio of what you are getting for around $100 in the aftermarket versus $300. The point being that, if the Legacy version had used paint, SoC just isn't THAT much of an upgrade to justify the extra $200 required for the best version over a good version.

Compare that to SoC Voltron. The closest analogue is the Toynami release, which is $200+...making a much better made SoC at $300 a no-brainer. But had there been an earlier 11 inch die cast update to the Matchbox Voltron in the past few years selling in the aftermarket for around $100, the SoC probably would not have sold out as fast as it did.

16. FD3S

FD3S 3rd Generation RX-7

I didn't know this before, but I'm very surprised that according to Gold's review GX-72 is taller than both the SOC Combattler V and Voltes V. Not a doubt in my mind that the exact same toy priced more in line with those two results in a lot fewer complaints.

17. Sup3hobo

News Credits:
    If you're quite happy with both of them, why are you trying so hard to compare the subjective value of either the legacy or SOC megazords? Let the PR fans choose for themselves in what they want in a definitive Megazord / Daizyujin. The legacy megazord is a $25 children's toy sold at Target that had diecast parts slapped on to it and sold for $80 at retailers. From my point of view the SOC has a lot more value in it compared to the legacy megazord which includes, smarter well placed diecast, use-able and functioning articulation, excellent paint applications, more built in gimmicks and excellent proportions. If these positive aspects aren't enough to appease the average PR fan and they want to go with the legacy one, then that's up to them.

Furthermore, as far as Voltron goes, you missed the biggest competitor at the time which was the Madtoys Gokin Voltron which sold for about $250 shipped and for the time that was the best Voltron on the market. The toynami one is good for its time, but old and busted by today's standards. The SOC blows the toynami out of the water and is a few steps above the Madtoys version to make it the superior Voltron. Finally, Voltron sold well not because it didn't have a Matchbox Voltron for $100 on the market, it's because the SOC is a damn good toy and a damn good representation of 80s Voltron.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    The bolded is what I just can't agree to. "An option," yes. Regular retail on the Legacy was already overpriced for what we got, let alone $100. I can't see how $100 for the Legacy is somehow a better value than even $300 for the SOC, regardless of what you can afford or not.

The individual zords are hollow feeling (even the diecast parts of the Mammoth are hollow), and incredibly basic. Hell the Pteradactyl's body is one simple piece of flat plastic, not even painted in the inside! The overall sculpting is "acceptable" but not great. And yes, lots of stickers. You keep mentioning "if it used paint" but the truth is, it doesn't. Had the original Legacy been more like the Ninja Megazord, we'd be having a totally different conversation, but it's not. So you have to use what actually exists.

If you like it, and personally value it, that's fine. Hell, I still own mine simply as the center of the Ultrazord...mostly covered up. But it's only ever been a "good" figure at best. For me, the SOC does, in fact, offer so, so much more over the Legacy, and feels leagues higher in value that, even at 3 times the cost, is a much better value on the cost/what I get ratio.

So in short, the SOC totally is THAT much of upgrade in my experience.

• Like Like x 2
  19. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    And again, those who purchased the $300 Daizyuzin, including myself, see the value in owning it.

But I guarantee you there are many folks who read or saw the reviews and decided to be happy with the Legacy version.
    I don't recall Madtoys being available at Brick and Mortar for $60 and $100 int he aftermarket, though. THAT's what is holding back SoC sales on Daizyuzin. Not too few accessories. Not the lack of waist articulation. It's the fact that most folks have a Legacy figure already in their collections and are wondering if spending $300 is worth the upgrade. Every one of us here will say yes...but we're not most folks, either.

20. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Just a heads up to anyone that has a FEWTURE product sitting in its box. I posted a while ago that both legs on my Fewture Getter 2 broke off on the small plastic posts that hold the leg to the hips. Today I removed him from the box after a year in my closet to fix him, and every piece of painted robot that was touching the styrofoam seems to have welded or chemically bonded to the styro. Quite an aggravating $400 toy so far. I was able to scratch off a lot of it but the paint is screwed. Take your fewture products OUT of the box.