The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I still find it funny that you can get the old DX toy from the 90's for less than the SRC God Raideen, and it's probably the better toy too.

2. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I understand the appeal to the figure. Like I said the legs just turn me off. Which do those more closely resemble, in terms of their design lineage and callouts? Which robot do they look like they belong to?

These
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or these?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not like Fewture is bad at doing this sort of thing. They perfectly captured the distinctiveness of Poseidon when they updated him.
    [​IMG]

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Just wanted to note that this was designed by the new team.

4. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Cool, and I apologize for my assumption then. Just what were they doing with a Reideen? Coming off a sleepless three day Super Robot War playsession?

5. Hate-triot

Hate-triot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My main problem with Fewture Reideen aren't even the legs. I feel that Reideen's blue headdress draping down across his shoulders is such a large part of his look and it's a shame the Fewture is missing that.

Granted the Fewture Reideen does look great but it looks like another robot homaging Reideen instead of a modern interpretation of Reideen.

6. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Exactly. For some reason it always makes me think of this
    [​IMG]
    It's a really cool looking robot, and the color scheme works really well on it. But your brain is screaming at you "somethings not right here!!!"

7. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Licensing, Kuma.

I so wanted that Poseidon a while ago, but never did it.

8. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I still want that Getter G trio. They've always been far more than my budget can justify. Sigh! Someday.

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    What?

And, with the Getter G group; effing fantastic. I'd recommend them for the updated engineering alone. They both look and feel like the "peak" of the EX line.

I honestly wish they'd go back and redo the original Getters the updated engineering. I'd re buy in a heartbeat. As pretty as the originals are, stuff like the heavy chest pieces randomly falling off onto glass is actually scary.

10. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I think the G Getter's stand, at least to me, as the perfect balance point between updating and modernizing the design, while still keeping the design cleanliness and the visual language of the originals. They just nailed it perfectly. Just enough panel lines and new details to add interest and texture, but not so much that it becomes a scribbly mess.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I think that's a fair assessment, but it's hard for me to agree or disagree on as their best update. I adore what they did with the Mazinger trio because I loathe the og designs and the styling fits my tastes perfectly, on the other jabs I like the Getter G trio just as much but I liked the original Getter G designs quite a bit, so I'm torn.

Another contender for me is Shin Getter. To me, that piece is a pretty strong update while still capturing the essense of what it's homaging very well.

Attached Files:

12. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Functioning Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I understand where you are coming from. However; Although the legs are not the steel pipes of the classic mold, they are proportionally very long and thin and the long legs is very Reideen to me. The thick forearms are his weapons. And I like how they handled the head drapes. I get that it might not do it for you.... but as a Reideen lover I am super-excited. I think the proportions are lanky but heroic and the weapons hooo boy do I like those weapons.

I am happy to disagree I respect your opinion immensely. But here is the figures overwhelming success from the new design team.... he is not a fucking nightmare demon. I love Ex Gokin but you know badass = demon monster. Which is accurate to the source material in most cases. But I like this Reideen because he looks like a true hero bot. With the muscular physique and bow, arm shield and dagger. I am ecstatic.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Add riobot anubis to the list

14. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I like what they did with Shin Getter. I don't tend to rank that one as highly in this particular discussion, as it really is largely a more modern design to begin with. So it didn't have quite as far to travel when updated. The Mazinger's I generally put as middle of the pack. Some elements I really like, Some I don't care as much for. I would probably like the 1969 body with the 1901 face more. I just don't get into that sculpted skull look for his face on the 1969. I prefer when it looks more like the classic knights visor. But that's a minor quibble.

15. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I love the head sculpt on that one. I wish it could stand on its own and didn't need a display space hogging special stand. (yeah I know not the fault of Riobot/Sentinel. It's the robots function and design).

16. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    In terms of more modern designing style, the same can be said for the Getter G team.

And the Mazinger designs are godly to me, so I'm not even going to further that conversation, lmao. I absolutely adore them. The 1901 variant feels like a "light" version which I don't like nearly as much but bought because steampunk.

The stand isn't more wide/obtrusive than the figure itself though...

18. TattooedRobot

TattooedRobot Functioning Addict TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That Dougram man that's something. I have exactly zero Hi-Metals I had no idea it was that big my anticipation is super high. I will never forget seeing those designs in the early 80's sometime about GI Joe time.

19. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

Oh on a non robot specific note, did anyone catch that Bandai press release that Collection DX had linked? Apparently Tamashii Nations is aggressively expending their direct market presence in North America, in partnership with Bluefin. They opened a Tamashii Nations North American office in California and are seeking to better target us. WooHoo!

Tamashii Nations and Bluefin Expand the Market for High Quality Japanese Collectibles Across North America

This likely means that GX-71 and 72 are not flukes, they are the start of the new marketing push. At a minimum this probably means that assorted Tamashii Nations exclusives will start becoming more directly (and more cheaply) available here. It also means they will probably be looking at more Eastern/Western crossover appeal subjects. So I bet the odds on Dairuger XV, Bismark and a few more Power Rangers Bots just went up quite a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

My very first robots back in the 70's were the Mattel Reideen followed by the G Getters. So those will always be my first loves. I like the Mazingers, but they just never grab me as much as a subject. I collect them, but not as rabidly as some. I like the Fewture ones, but I've never had one in hand to explore them in detail. Although they are growing on me more over time.

As for Anubis, well yeah the stand is the same footprint as the robot. But that's not saying much, the thing is like a porcupine. It's like the designer sat down to explore "how do I maximize the amount of shelf space to be taken up using the minimal amount of robot?"