The Soul of Chogokin, Soul SPEC, SIC, & Super Robot Chogokin Choking on Gokin Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by viper2391, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I don't particularly care about the Angels versions, I just want the ones that actually appear in the original TV show.

Also the only thing that concerns me about Getter Poseidon is the rubber treads, it's been quite a few years since he was last released isn't it?

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Of course; it's my collection.

... no? However, just to throw an opinion out there, I feel that the Max Factory Godannar is indisputably one of the best Gokin products ever made.

-------------------

Worth that, question for all; between my website email, Facebook messages, this inbox, etc. I get asked if I'm selling or I know someone who's selling xxxxx A LOT; what about me or what I post makes people think I know this stuff?

3. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Also, Sentinel is releasing a "Mazin powered" Mazinkaiser;

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    The funny thing is I feel completely opposite to you in almost every way here. I am also a child of the 70-80s and Reideen is my first Shogun Warrior. In fact my entire reason for collecting gokin has way more to do with the Shogun Warriors burned into my childhood psyche than even my subsequent godaikin toys. And of course Reideen was my favorite at the time, (everyone knows the Birthday Clown is a better bot for people of refined taste). Now Fewture Reideen is what you say a roided out bot but that is the point of the Ex Gokin, other expectations need not apply. I am the most excited about that release, since I already gots ma Ex Gokin Birthday Day Clown!
    I think we can all agree Sentinel could likely give us an execlllent classic Reideen.

5. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Ha perfect timing for me to jump in.

6. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Doesn't count unless you have em all.

7. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Gold Raideen still looks pretty cool. What's the normal one look like?

And why hasn't Max Factory put Godannar back out again? You'd think they would and use Figma and Nendoroid to help.

I decided Dancouga would be my next purchase, Fewture's ES one.

8. Pharoid

News Credits:
    I don't have any more organs to sell.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Then your organs don't count either. Literally.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

With the Fewture Reideen it isn't so much that it is a modernized 90's plus roided up look. I'm used to such things and can see the appeal. For Fewtures prior similar robots the late Taku Sato was able to wonderfully update the designs while still keeping them astonishing true to their key classic elements. The important shaping and sculpted visual queues are all there. The problem with Reideen and the new sculptor is when you look at pictures of the unpainted grey prototype and even the gold version, you have nothing that tells you this is Reideen. They kept none of the needed visual call outs in the sculpt. It's the most generic modern bot look I have ever seen. It could be Reideen with a Reideen paint job. It could be Escaflowne, or Raxephon or Zeorymer. If you can't cleanly tell what the super robot is from sculpt alone, even when doing a stylized update, you need to start over. This is a major letdown after Sato's wonderful stuff.

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Normal colors haven't been shown yet.

What? It's from their Max Gokin line. How would Figma or Nen help?

----------

Edit; @Faelon I have to disagree. The sculpt is very clearly Raideen. However, there's a lot of color separation on that bot, particularly in the head area, and I think it will be extremely clear once the regular paint type is unveiled. There's nothing about this sculpt that looks like other mecha than Raideen.

12. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

They haven't shown off the normal version yet. Which seems strange. All we have seen is a watercolor painted concept art picture.

I so wish Max Factor would re-issue Godannar. Heck at this point I would even be happy if Bandai were to ever release the SRC one. But not as happy as the Max Factory. There was also a version of Godannar made that did the transformation? Neo Occuser inside Godannar. I think it was all plastic? Does anyone remember who made it and if it was any good?

13. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Here is the color art:

IMG_5176.JPG

I personally feel the weapons take it over the top. The weapons look fantastic. They keep showing the legs angeled which makes them look thicker.
    IMG_5175.JPG

IMG_5174.JPG

14. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

It's all going to be a matter of personal taste and perception. To me those legs look awful for Reideen, even an updated Reideen. They threw away they key visual queues for the robot for seemingly no good reason. That straight blade like ridge running down the front of each leg, and the round thruster feet (something that should have worked extremely well for an updated Fewture design.) The legs on this one look almost like a cut and paste from Zeorymer or Wessriter or some similar SRW alumnus. Reideen, at least classical colorful Reideen, should not have high heels. (That's Raxaphon). They got the thighs right with the three red stripe pieces so one visual tag they left in. Those bent wrist Popeye forearms are just yuch for Reideen. They obscure and cover over what should have been easy elements to update, the various wrist and forearm accessories. The head to me looks more Michael Bay Megatron than Reideen with all the layers of panels. It lacks the Egyptian motif that even the butt ugly God Reideen managed to keep. In a world where one of the most distinct identifiers of a super robot is their head profile, they completely changed the shape and directions of the horns.

I hate to be a pessimist, I am sure the new designer is scribbling his heart out. But this feels like something he had in his notebook prior to being handed the Reideen task. Some SRW OG type entry or some personal doodling. He ignored the most important visual queues physically, and is instead simply seeking to paint them on. To my eye the most telling and most dissonant element is those generic legs, when the legs are supposed to be the most distinct thing about Reideen. Those legs on the Fewture were not designed with a thought to how they should look in Reideens transformation.

But that's just my obsessive take on it. I'm weird, I am not one of those who obsess over anime accuracy or such. But every robot design tells a story. And updates to the design must include those story elements in order for it to be the robot you are representing. You can swing body proportions wherever you want, scribble on panel lines to you are blue in the face, it will work so long as you keep the needed visual identifiers. Sato was a master at this. Fewtures new team... :( 

15. Pharoid

News Credits:
    ^ I love this the more I look at it.

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    The colored pic comparison honestly seals it for me. And I agree on the weapons as well.

And @Faelon, I respect your opinion bit I'm just not seeing things like Popeye forearms and a megatron head when I look at it. Also, while I don't like Grendizer, the new team brought us the Getter D. Team which are fantastic.

I honestly cannot wait for the regular color of this the more I look at it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

It looks much better in color. I'll be curious to see an actual sample rather than concept art. The color cleans up the cluttered head a bit. I still hate the legs.

18. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was a Studio Halfeye resin figure.

19. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Wow!

20. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Look at the legs in this angle.

IMG_5178.JPG