The Smurfs film

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Apr 13, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I was expecting something awful to come out of it, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was fairly cotton candy stuff: it’s fluff and nothing too solid, but it’s sweet to sample and is nice as long as it’s not too often.

The Smurfs are a tribe of little blue pygmies who are constantly under siege by the wicked but incompetent wizard Gargamel, who wants to capture them and extract their essence to enhance his ability (in the cartoon he wanted to EAT them). He and his familiar Azreal chases a group of Smurfs – the main Smurfs of the film: patriarch Papa Smurf, Clumsy Smurf, Brainy Smurf, Gutsy Smurf, Grouchy Smurf and Smurfette (the only female Smurf around presently) - and they all end up in New York City. The Smurfs befriend an expectant couple, Patrick and Grace Winslow, as they try to find a way back home and outwit Gargamel, which is less easy than it sounds now that he has his hands a magic wand that makes him even more dangerous.

The film doesn’t offer too much. But then it’s not meant to: the story is the classic “Smurfs vs Gargamel” storyline, with the setting of contemporary NYC and a couple to serve as audience POV. It was still fairly faithful to the original cartoon (and comic, if we must go into that) and at least doesn’t make too drastic changes to the mythos. Besides, a fantasy genre offers you a far better chance for suspension of disbelief than a sci-fi war genre like TF.

The VFX are pretty much basic: only the creatures, their environment and the magic are supplied with VFX. Still they’re adequate and better than one would expect, and at least the Smurfs look refreshingly like their cartoon counterparts (especially Smurfette, who is a lot prettier in live-action than I expected).

Neil Patrick Harris and Jayma Mays are fairly good as the couple who gets sucked up in the middle of the insanity. The Smurfs are also fairly solid: Jonathan Winters makes a great Papa Smurf, Anton Yelchin an appealing Clumsy and Kate Perry is sweet as Smurfette (there’s not much acting required for a voice role like that anyway, just be cute and spunky). But the show-stealer is Hank Azaria as Gargamel: he brings to life the comic villain with such meanness, humour, charm and awesomeness that he nearly makes it all right to have comic villains in films.

Overall, worth a watch, even if just once.

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

I'm reading all this text and the only thing I'm thinking about is "There's someone that actually likes this bullsh*t?"

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Sorry, but this one is on my "not even if hell freezes over" list. It's right up there with those chipmunk movies.

Not going to happen.

4. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

Guys its actually a really entertaining movie, with solid plot, cast, and acting......

If you were 10 years old.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I understand your feelings. I was FORCED to watch it , but upon doing so I found it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, or as reports said.

Anyway it's worth watching for Azaria alone.

6. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

I'd rather watch Iz & the Zizzles.

Look it up.

7. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I still haven't seen this yet. I'l wait till it's on TV so I can rage about it later....like i did with Dragonabll Evolution.

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

aw hell no

not even if hell froze over and the devil gave free sleigh rides

this slop is right up there with barney