The skyrocketing gas prices...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrickyDisco, Apr 17, 2006.

1. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Here it's now at the highest ever at 122 kr per liter, (that's 8$ a gallon US) and they say it will continue to rise in the next few weeks. That our currency seems to be plummeting as well isn't helping much either, the dollar/Euro/GBP are getting more expensive by the minute :( 

It's enough to make me consider switching to public transport :(  My car is pretty economic, but these prices are getting ridiculous.

How are things looking in your part of the universe?

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Well, the thing I find amusing is that the media made a big wahwahcrycry fest about this back in the fall...and then the gas prices dropped a BIT.

...now, there's been nearly no commentary on it - I haven't seen any of the "gas crisis" bullshit headlines on the major cable news networks and even NPR has been strangely silent on the issue.

By the way - your sig is the best sig ever, Tricky.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    it cost approx 1.2 times it used to to get my tank to full. what sucks even more is that even when fuel prices dip, national prices remain.

but what can you do? i aint gettin' on no damn, plane, i mean, public transport. hmm, milk.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Minnesota is pretty bad for public transportation, unless you live at the airport and work at the metrodome or Mall of America.

If I took a bus to my work, it would cost twice as much, take an hour longer, and I would have to walk a mile.

Just gotta suck it up and pay for gas. Even thought I would love to hop on a sub, or bus and play video games on the way.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    $8.00... JEEZ... Makes our $3.23 like piddlin's... But yeah, it seems strange that over here in the States we're not really paying attention to it this time around... Last time it was this high, there was a LOT of attention thrown on the topic in the media in general... This time around nobody has really paid much attention to it...

6. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well in St. Cloud we are paying around $2.66 a gallon. I have about 65 Gallons that I purchaced at the First Fuel bank at $2.55 a gallon, that I can use at any time.

7. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

It's up to about $2.80 here...living in a small town is actually pretty handy when it comes to gas prices.

I really miss cheap gas...I used to be able to fill my tank with about 12 dollars, now it takes damn near $30.

8. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I believe its arounf equivilently $7 a gallon here...

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

About $2.79 here. They said it'll probably go up to about $3 in a few weeks. Getting too damn expensive!

10. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2.85 a gallon here, I think I'm going to buy some good boots and just start walking everywhere.

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    This is when I'm happy that I don't have a license and I can just walk or take the bus. Bus fare is only $1.25 and that fare will get me a transfer to use the bus one more time. And during Ozone Alert Days it's only a quarter. Much, much cheaper then driving around now. Problem is, transportation really sucks here and the city determines the routes and that means there are not that many available.

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm also in the theoretically could use Public Transport but don't because it's cheaper. Even with the "free" transport due to being a student I'd have to get up an hour earlier, and walk the half mile to the bus stop. Ride the bus for 30 minutes to the bus station, then walk another 8 blocks to the office. And repeat for the ride home. Except for on evenings when I have class. Then it's the 8 block walk to the bus station, then a 45 minute bus ride. Then after that I'd have to find a ride home because bus service stops before classes are over.

Or drive my car 10 minutes and walk a block to the office. And on class nights I'd just have an additional 15 minute drive to class.

13. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Gas prices do suck. I remember when I was young and would go "into town" for groceries, errands, etc. Gas was less than a dollar at some places. I remember them bitching about how it was going up, ooooooo, over a dollar.

Although the 2.65 we're paying here in AZ ain't that bad considering how much is being charged in Europe. I'm glad that both of my jobs at the moment are within 5 minutes of my house.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My quick and possibly incorrect calculations puts the price here at about $3.58 US per Gallon.

15. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Around here in Alabama prices are at or around $2.80 and is likely to reach or excede $3.00 by memorial day. This seems like alot to me and those that I know.

That being said I know from posts here what the gas prices are in Europe and decline from bitching about it.

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

It's not as shocking precisely because it's already happened. Relatively soon will come a point when it won't go back below $3, at which point people won't get up in arms again until it crosses the $4 barrier.

I disagree though that it's not getting any attention, at least in the media. I've seen any number of reports recently about prices going back up, what it means for peak driving season, the $70 barrel...and Exxon-Mobil's record profits last year. :redface2: 

17. AlphaPrime

AlphaPrime Neo Autobot Commander

Gas companys = snakes, goverment doesn't care yadda yadda. I'd walk my ass off if i could but my feet go way before my ass would, i walked 6 miles a month or so ago and my left foot had a pretty large blister on it and it opened up so i had to take and rip the sucker off so i could keep it clean and such, healed fine but i'm sure i'd get another if i walked that far again heh, though i do try to walk 2 miles a week to keep my feet in better shape heh.

18. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

What really sucks is there is no way to get around those prices. My parents bought a new car in the past month and had looked at buying hybrids, but they did they math and found out that recharging the battery in a hybrid is so expensive that they money you save in gas is practically negated.

19. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    On my drive to work, I can fill up for $2.68...

Near my apartment, it's at $2.79

20. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I paid $3.07 this past weekend. Took $36 for a half a tank of gas. :(