The Shows Must Go On - TFsource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hey guys,

I actually didn't plan on promoting this article on the boards for a few reasons; 1) I don't believe it is up to the same standard as the others before it, I felt I lost the thread and the point of the piece halfway and it became focused on other things. 2) The title and opening paragraph make it sound like an overview of BotCon and the content doesn't match that, it's more a mish-mash of memories I have of my 2 BotCons in 2006 and 2007. A few of my friends said it was worth posting though, so at the very least, I hope you enjoy the pics and info. Will try harder next week!

The Shows Must Go On | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Yeah, that last picture is going to give me the gagging reflex all day. Thanks Maz.

3. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I don't think I've been to a botcon where flap crease has kept his cloths on lol :)  Now I can't wait for this years announcement...thx alot Maz!

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those two shows you wrote about were very good shows, things actually took another change after the 2007 show after a mass influx of new fans came in. Some new fans brought in because of the movie, some just never made it to a BotCon before.

In 2012 there is almost a completely different group of people that I have there to hang out with than back in 2006/2007. Seems a lot of the people that I used to hang out with who would be my con buddies back in the 3H days pretty much stopped going after 2008. It's really bizarre that I am one of the few from that group who remain.

True the dynamic today feels pretty different, a little more...corporate (for lack of a better term), and a little less laid back than the old days. But BotCon is really what you make of it no matter how you feel about the current state of the Transformers fan community or FunPub, and while sure each year feels a bit more distant from where it was when I started going (2002) there is always an amazing experience to be had and great collectibles to see.

5. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ah I didn't realise that 2006 and 2007 were regarded as some of the best recent shows, I remember some long-time attendees had plenty to complain about even then.

Certainly I still would have enjoyed the shows without the premiere/movie/tours anyway because meeting the fans across the pond was the highlight, and I'm sure that would hold true today.

I've certainly noticed a very different group of G1-centric vocal community members on TFW compared to those days when I first joined the boards or went to BC, so I'm not surprised the attendee cohorts are slightly different now too.

And yes, my recollection is that Vance spent the whole show walking around topless :lol 

All the best
    Maz

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I'm glad you posted it anyways. I saw the twitter post but never got around to reading it. I pretty much forgot until I read this thread.

7. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I really enjoy reading about others' Botcon experiences. It makes it even more interesting when I have attended the show they are talking about because I can see it from another perspective. I do believe 2006 and 2007 were excellent shows and personally I feel like 2007 was (and still to this day is) the show to beat. It is unfortunate that many people feel it has become Corporate, but now there are tons of smaller conventions that keep popping up to help take care of that "fan" feel.

If I could afford it I would attend Botcon every single year no matter what. I think it is awesome that our hobby is so popular that a show of that magnitude is produced every single year. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 7 year old self how awesome the future is going to be.

8. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This is a fucking fantastic read Maz. Thank you for publishing it.

BotCon is a special place IMO, even with some of the unfortunate outcomes of recent years. It's what you make it ... I'll always go because of that.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I can only speak about my experience of Botcon 2001 and what I've observed through photos and posts here. I had an absolute blast in 2K1, as Transformers for me was very much a hobby that wasn't "huge" at the time. I thoroughly enjoyed the vast amounts of G1 things to purchase, and the things I got to do (namely, watching the movie on the "big" screen for the first time in my life and the DiCola concert). I really enjoyed meeting Vince DiCola and Simon Furman; both were SUPER nice to me. Unfortunately, I didn't know anyone online at the time, so my convention experience wasn't colored with the social opportunities.

I really enjoy this article, and I'm enjoying the discussion here about the topic :)