The set is now complete - DREADWIND

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Pete Sync, May 3, 2007.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I still wish they had gone with Darkwing's color scheme instead of Dreadwind's.... only because it is darker and more different from Jetfire's. With all the white on there, it still looks a little too similar to Jetfire to my eye.

But that's all right... it's still a very nice figure, and I like the new head mold. Still no regrets ordering the set.

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yeah, i'll be selling this set, and keeping the autobot set that is available only to attendees at the con. that A3 looks friggin sweet, and the prospect of having a classics huffer, alita-1 and Springer are also to exciting.

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Maybe one of the exclusives is Darkwing? :D 

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It came out better than I was expecting, so that's something.

Before I say this, let me preface it with saying this is my extremely idealized scenario of what it could have been, and may not have been cost effective for FP to do. I think my preference would have been for the box set to forgo a Voyager and Bugbite and just do a new Seeker squad in a box set. It's very difficult to separate Dreadwind and Darkwing in my mind, and they both would have fit in well as new Seekers. I would have liked to have seen each of them as remolds of Starscream with new heads and wings...F16 for Dreadwind and F14 for Darkwing. Dreadwind would have remained pretty close to his G1 robot mode, and while Darkwing wouldn't (owing mostly to the lack of cockpit torso), it wouldn't be any more drastically different than a Jetfire based Dreadwind. Again, I understand new wings AND heads for two figures would probably be too expensive, and what we got does look nice, it just would have been my preference. IMO Bugbite looks allright but doesn't really fit in with the rest of the set. Go all the way with 5 Deluxes, 3 with extensive remolds.

But again for a third time, just to make sure I drive the point home, I think the set as-is is still great, and I understand my fantasy Seeker set probably couldn't have happened. It's just an idea.

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I'd like that but its unlikely.

6. bilbo777

bilbo777 Well-Known Member

Five for $329.... non attendee..

I personally am still relatively new back at this since I started up in 2004. I can understand Masterpiece Megatron for $100 but my wife may not as it is just still a piece of plastic toy even if high end. My previous high was $52 for 20th Anniv Prime.

But even I am still stunned when I look at the 5 figure set for $329 composed of repaints and slight remolds it seems. It looks nice as recolors but coming in at about $66 a piece seems hard to justify. I'm trying to understand this but I can't accept the pricetag. It seems beyond gouging the fan.

7. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

So when should this stuff start mailing out though? I ordered mine last week and got the confirmation email thing and all..But does anyone have dates to start expecting?

Oh, and as for figures..Uhm, I like that they at least tried to remold some of Jetfire, but the new color scheme is blindingly dull. Same with the Bumblebee one..Just doesn't scream Transformers Classics to me. Like how the reprolables started out for Alts as homage to Gen-1 stuff, now they've gone more extreme in style..This seems to go in like that. But I'm still happy to get the set for the other Seekers..Now is it worth getting a 2nd set for display in alt mode..Blah.

8. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:

Not the freebie. But a repaint of Jetfire as Darkwing with new head for $80.00 at the con.

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The costs come from several factors:

-lower production run requiring higher price-per-figure to recoup costs and attain profit
    -custom aluminium (?) molds for the newly-sculpted parts
    -not sure if this is a case for FP actually, but possibly the cost of getting the exclusives made while factories are busy churning out TF Movie toys

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    They should start shipping to non-attendees a couple of weeks after the con. So....mid-July.

11. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

You think it's bad now..wait until you see what they'll be charging on Ebay for it..

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    They should have repainted Jetfire into Hooligan which wouldn't need a remold (originally being a straight repaint of a Jetfire toy) and remold Dirge to have new wings.

Thats what I personally would have done.

13. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

That would have been sweet! Darkwing minicon or a Minicon version of one of their his powermasters, Hi-Test or Throttle.

As others have mentioned, the dark color scheme of Darkwing may have been better to distinguish him more from Jetfire.

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    im warming up more to this guy...however, he will remain helmet-less, giant gun-less and arm gun-less when in robot mode....the helmet is just too jetfireish, and its a shame to not show that B E A utiful new face scuplt.......and i think the new face will be overshadowed by the giant guns....and also, his wings will stay down, unlike jetfires....but im also warming to the idea of a more white dcon...it doesnt seem to happen too often....but i dig it....

15. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Unlikely, since the 5-page preview of the BotCon comic indicates that Darkwing isn't around.

16. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Moderator

News Credits:
    Like KD said, not sure why they separated the two. :(  Maybe a possible future exclusive.

17. Lone_Decepticon

Lone_Decepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    is one allowed to order 2 Iacon packages or simply 1? a friend of mine wants one but I already ordered one for myself.

18. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the colors and the redesigned head. (good job FP) But... I feel as if the gave us the wrong character with the mold. His jet mode is more of a match for Darkwing rather than Dreadwind.

Maybe we'll get another repaint later as Darkwing. I don't think we will for this show tho after seeing the Alpha Trion. (I can't believe the'd do more than one big figure in the show only set) Maybe in the club store if we ask nice enough.

19. Switchblade

Switchblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Love the new head sculpt. It looks amazing. Not a big fan of the "pastel terror of the skies" color scheme, though (yes, I know it's his G1 colors, but that doesn't mean they look good).

20. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I really like the head sculpt. And that's about it. I mean, my first reaction was "It's so... plain...". It's alright I guess, but nothing to go OMG! about in my opinion.