'The Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly)'. Should he hit the big screen?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Aug 9, 2009.

?

Should Ben Reilly (Scarlet Spider) appear in the Spider-man movie franchise?

1. Yes.

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. No.

17 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. I don't mind either way.

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

For those not in the know:
    Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly) - Marvel Universe: The definitive online source for Marvel super hero bios.

[​IMG]

I have been reading the limited 'Scarlet Spider' series and arcs, basically the Clone Saga, etc.
    Now, would it be a good idea to introduce him into the films?
    Would it have to be a 'clone' plot?

I think it will work as long as Ben Reilly is slowly introduced, through a whole film until his full reveal. Introduced in the shadows, following, stalking and documenting Peter's life.
    Perhaps he could be confronted by Peter and then the truth is revealed.
    It would be one of those roles where Maguire would have to play two roles, being a genetic copy, maybe dyed hair and with scruffy stubble? Maybe a scar to help differentiate him?

I think there's potential.
    Perhaps they secretly team up for a while, 'two Spideys are better than one - two places at once', so they get on top of crime and super villains and avoid the 'fight the super villain or meet Mary Jane?' for a time.
    That would especially be cool, as they could fight over who gets the villain duty and who sees MJ/Aunt May/goes to work. Peter insisting that other than work, Ben must stay away from his personal life?
    Ben leaves NY to become the SS in, say, San Francisco or Seattle. Bingo, instant spin off series.
    Maybe popping in to subsitiute for Spider-man every now and again in the Reilly Spider suit?

- this is all conjecture, my ideas, but what are your thoughts? Should he appear and how should it be done?

2. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Noooooo.

We don't need the clone saga in these movies.

3. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ben , as the scarlet spider, WAS AWESOME

The clone saga I shall say HELL NO

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

What a completely random question lol.

But no, cause you can't have Ben without the Clone Saga. Movie Clone Saga would equal massive fail.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Get that away. Far away.

6. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    I love Ben Reilly. I'm a big fan. I have nearly all of his comic appearances, several action figures, a statue, and a costume from Hong Kong.

So I of course, say yes.

7. Hand Of Omega

Well, you wouldn't have to have the clone saga if thats putting most people off.
    We didn't have 'Secret Wars' to introduce the Venom symbiote for instance.
    There is the flipside for the hard core fans, "you can't have Ben w/out the clone saga" - but I disagree. Spidey's actual origin was updated and changed to a genetically engineered spider, rather than a radioactive one, so couldn't Ben be a product of genetic manipulation?
    Look at 'Die Another Day', wether you liked it or not. They used the genetic angle to change a character's appearance, without plastic surgery.
    Ben could be a product of this kind of thing, just wearing an approximation to Peter's face and having his powers to some degree.

How? I have a few ideas:

1. Maybe he is an escaped prototype made from the 'Scorpion' project? There are other ways to do it on film that would approximate the original comic plots.
    Then the process is perfected in a following movie and Gargan assimilates only Spidey's powers and not his likeness?
    he could then battle Scorpion with Spidey.
    How the genetic sample was obtained is another story. Maybe during a previous battle? A piece of his torn costume with blood traces?
    Who would do it? Maybe he escapes from a secret project to duplicate the web spinner's abilities? Oscorp? Government? JJJ?

2. Maybe the genetically altered spider assimilated some of his genes and the next person it bit, before it died, underwent this genetic metamorphosis? Its sci-fi, all is possible!

8. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    keep the clone saga far, far away from the movies

9. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really care, that is as long as they don't bring in the Clone Saga

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Ben Reilly? Maybe.

Clone saga? NOPE.

11. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Ben Reilly? Maybe.

Clone saga? NOPE.

12. Hand Of Omega

Looks like most people just have a problem with the 'Clone' thing.
    No other takers on the 'Ben Reilly minus the clone saga idea'? There are, as I said before, many other possible scenarios for this arc in film.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The character of Ben Reilly is awesome and I'd love to see him appear in the movies. However, while I am doubtful that anything could be worse than Raimi's Spider-Man movies, bringing the Clone Saga to the films has "train wreck" written all over it. Hell, it would probably be longer than the extended cut of Lord of the Rings if someone actually tried to adapt the 616 version of the story.

I think Ben could work if they changed his origin so he wasn't a clone of Peter and came up with some other raison d'etre for him...although making such a drastic change to his origin might impact the character too much. The other possibility, IMO, could be to adapt the Ultimate Clone Saga, a much tighter and less nonsensical story, just swapping Ben Reilly into the role played by "Spider-Woman" in that story.

14. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Ha, well I still haven't seen Spidey 3, but still I'll vote NO.

Mainly I don't think the films need more "Tobey", and in the end that's what you'd be getting.

15. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, more Tobey acting just like Peter would be terrible. If they're gonna us give dual roles, at least make it the Chameleon.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    If Scarlet Spider was in it, they could replace every other cast member in Spider-Man 4 with Kirsten fucking Dunst and I'd still watch it and love it.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'd rather have the clone spider-girl from ultimate, and I don't want her either.

18. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Didn't the clone saga end up driving Marvel into bankruptcy?
    Scarlet Spider is an OK character,but you really can't have one without the other. You can't make him "not a clone of Peter",he wouldn't be Scarlet Spider. It would be like if wolverine didn't have his claws in the movies,or if Superman wasn't Clark Kent in his movie.

19. Hand Of Omega

It wouldn't have to be 'acting like Peter'. He could have a different personality and everything, just share his powers and features.
    The, 'you can't clone memories or traits' defense would work.

Dunst as JJJ. Hmm...would be funny, I have to admit. :popcorn 

I see where you're coming from, but I don't think its that crucial, Spidey's origin was tweaked, Ocks was, GGs was ever so slightly. Venoms was totally ignored and turned into a rock. LOL!

20. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

He wasn't much like Peter in the comics,was he? I remember him dying his hair blond,not shaving,riding a motorcycle,hanging out at a Starbucks,and just being 1990's in general. It was like a marketing committee trying to "fix" Peter Parker. Come to think of it,I guess that's exactly what it was.

Yeah,they were tweaked,but the basic thing about Scarlet Spider is his being a clone. If someone asked you,"Hey I saw this comic book that said it featured the 'Scarlet Spider',who's that?" You would say,"Spider-Man's clone."