The Robots in Disguise/Car Robots Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Megabattimus, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sold off a majority of my RID stuff a couple of years ago (Kept Omega Prime and Build King)
    Just picked up the Universe repaint of RID Prowl for $7 shipped on ebay.
    I forgot just how nice the car brother molds are.

2. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A friend of mine is selling his JRX/Railracer set. I think I might pick it up since he wants only $25 or $30 for it.

3. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

I bought every US released RID toy that was featured in the cartoon. I have the Takara versions of a few figures, including Valdigus (or is it Baldigus?). The only things I'm missing is the rare Japanese stuff like Brave Maximus and the super god sword. I had the opportunity to buy Brave Max for $200 but was flat broke at the time. That still kills me to this day.

RID holds a special place in my heart. It came out the summer I was married. So while RID and my marriage aren't related, I still associate RID with that special time in my life. After several years of Transformers that were beasts with a computer generated cartoon, I was glad to see Transformers as cars again and have a cell frame animated cartoon again. And in the cartoon, Optimus Prime actually felt like the original G1 Optimus character. I remember that some people were upset that Optimus was a fire truck rather than a big rig but I was just happy to see him as a vehicle again. Then the terrible events of 9/11 occurred. I remember that few people complained about Optimus being a fire truck after that.

There are only 2 things which I would have preferred to happen with this series differently. First, I wish the cartoon tied into G1 and Beast Wars a little more. They could have set the show as the time period between season 2 of the G1 cartoon and TF the movie. They could have made Coji and his father Daniel and Spike. That would have been a great explanation as to why Optimus contacted Coji when his father was kidnapped. I would have loved to have heard Peter Cullen voice Optimus Prime as the G1 Optimus with David Kaye voicing Megatron who comes from the future. If Peter Cullen was on board, X-Brawn could have been Ironhide.

Second, I wish they would have made a Scorponok sized Fortress (Brave) Maximus as a slightly scaled down and simplified version of the original Fortress Maximus. Given that Hasbro used all of Takara's molds without creating hardly anything new, it would have been nice if Hasbro designed at least something big for the series. Remember that at that time TRU was also doing the Commemorative figures so Hasbro could have used this scaled down Brave Max mold to release Fort Max in that line.

4. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where did you get that gun from on Prowl? I have both the normal/super versions and don't recall seeing that gun..

on another note, I bought ever version of every RID character I could find when they were on the shelves and somehow I still missed a couple.

5. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

I remember having alot of those figures figures when I was younger.... damnit younger me for loosing the tires and parts of them... although when my X-brawn figures lost his arm I replaced it with a broken Beast Machines Tankor(I think that was the name, it was a scout class figure with claw hands)... if i remember correclty i had:
    Sideburn
    X-Brawn
    The train combiners
    optimus prime
    ultra magnus

there all gone now, bits and pieces of whats left them in a box in the attic with my failed repaint attempts which were mostly classics figures (god dammit younger me again!)

the store i got them at never got any of the predacon or decepticon figures in.

6. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    2nd cousins? anyone else notice a slight resemblence between these 2?

7. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here are mine:

I have a few more like Ruination who is on my classics shelf and all my spy changers and tow line are put up for now. Oh and Megabolt is in the sales thread..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

As with many, RiD brought me back into collecting. I really loved the Optimus from this line, and I started collecting all the Autobots I could find. I eventually picked up the Ruination team, and just this past April, scored a boxed Scourge at my local convention. I found Megatron at a rummage sale for $2, he's missing a couple things, but at least I have the figure. My favorite pice from here has to be my Sam's Club Prime. For some reason, that yellow really looks good on him. And it really looks neat combined with Magnus...

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've just gotte back into this line and man I forgot how great these toys were. I just got the Autobto brotehrs (RID Prowl nd CR Wild Ride and Speedbreaker to be precise) and they're so awesome. Realistic car modes, great robot modes, paint galore, rubber ties and chrome. I've had RID Optimus and Scourge on display for a while so I ahd to get these. I have Magnus coming and have put my Pred trio on display along with my favourite TF ever, Sky-Byte.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

This is the line/show that was going when I got back into Transformers. I loved Beast Wars (still do, I consider it to be one of my favorite all-time shows) but I never saw Beast Machines for whatever reason, then I got back into Transformers with this.

The show is fun and the toys are AMAZING. I've got the complete line (of every character featured in the show that is), I only got the two-packs with Skid-z and Tow-Line a couple months ago (I swear... I never saw them in stores).

But really... I can't believe how amazing some of the toys in this line are.. and then you look at the Armada toys which came AFTER these, and they're crap by comparison! As far as I'm concerned, no toyline other than Animated has captured the magic of the RID line for me.

11. Strike Creamsicle

Strike Creamsicle Likes the G2 neon lights TFW2005 Supporter

I don't actually have a single original RiD figure - all of them are re-uses from the Universe toyline. Hmm. Unless you count dreadwind and smokejumper. They were part of the RiD line towards the end.

Anyways, I give you... Repaints in Disguise!

I really like these figures, but I think the molds were getting a little worn out by the time the Universe line came around. The missile on Side Burn never stays in place in his vehicle mode, nor does the sword missile weapon on Ratchet. Roulette and Shadow Striker didn't have these problems, so I have to assume they got worse sometime after those two were made.

I've got Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, too, but I haven't got around to taking them out of their boxes yet.

[edit]boards aren't resizing the pics automatically anymore? Or is that just me?

Attached Files:

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Time to update:

The real RID Megatron:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Chinta63

Chinta63 Well-Known Member

Why isit so hard to find a complete version of the dvd?

14. KaguyaHouraisan

KaguyaHouraisan TORANS-FORMAAAA!

I don't know much about RID,But i think Rail racer is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    These are great. Imo the recent deluxes (FOC) look bad compared to these.

16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Here is my complete show character collection of R.I.D all bought off the store shelves. Brave Max is the Korean version.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Chinta63

Chinta63 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Now I m watching the whole series on youtube!

18. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Nice, going to do the robot modes and the combine version?

20. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanx, Shots have already been taken and edited and are ready to go.. I just didn't want to flood the thread with 15 pics.. figure I'll do about 5 a post..a day or so a part..

EDIT: can you tell the difference between UM with and without the cars on him? Once I took the cars off, I cleaned him up.. can you tell?