The Road

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Metal Soldier, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I got to watch The Road today with a couple friends. There's a great theater in Shreveport called The Robinson Film Center. They do a lot of indie/limited release stuff and classics. This was the first time I got to hit the Robinson and it was sweet. They've got a bistro and bar upstairs and you can take your drinks down into the theater. They were advertising Office Space and John Woo's Red Hill so I'm going to be watching the site for dates. Going to see those. I did miss the first 10 minutes or so, thanks to traffic and parking issues. However I was told there wasn't too much to miss there. Now onto the review.

The Road (2009)
    Directed by John Hillcoat
    Starring Viggo Mortenson and Kodi Smit-McPhee.

Based on the Cormac McCarthy novel, The Road is the tale of a man and his son trying to reach the coast and head south after an apocalyptic event leaves the world in ruins. The event is not explained, just that it occurred before the boy was born. Most of the world's animal population has died and the plant-life is dying as well. The world is permanently covered in clouds and getting colder every year. Human kind has lost its humanity, tending towards cannibalism and savagery to survive. However the Man (Mortensen) is trying to keep some kind of humanity alive by teaching the Boy (McPhee) about the world before and how to be a "good guy." The Man also has to protect them for cannibals and the harshness of the new world, while trying to teach him to survive. The Man is dying and knows it, but can he teach the Boy enough before its too late and if they reach the coast what will they find?

The Road is a beautiful movie. If Avatar leaves its mark for its vibrant visuals, The Road will stick with you for its bleak, harsh post-apocalyptic world. As one of my friends said, it looks like the world of Fallout 3 in its composition. There are some classic shots, abandoned cars on highways, devastated buildings, and others that are a staple of the post-apocalyptic film, but even these are striking. Everything looks like it really has been abandoned for years, dirt, trash, snow, and bust piling together. Even the shots of the cannibalism and its victims is well shot. Mortensen and McPhee with their layers of worn-out clothing huddling together for warmth and protection, the desperation of eating crickets and other insects as they are slowly starving to death. It all looks incredible. Mortensen does a great job as the desperate father, willing to do anything to protect his son. The emotional pain, the anger, fear, and sadness he has to hide comes across very clearly. McPhee's innocence is key as he wants to be the "good guy" who "carries the fire" of humanity like is dad. He wants to believe that there can be good people in the world besides just them and sometimes has to remind his father. The kid did a great job.

Overall I found it to be a great movie but definitely a downer. Seriously, The Road is one of the most depressing movies I've seen in a long time. Its worth seeing though. I was glad I went but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see it in theaters. A good home setup will be enough to enjoy it. I give it a 4.2 out of 5.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Cant wait to see this movie.

3. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I wanted to see this movie, but it did not play in Indiana, anywhere...wtf?

4. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree, this movie was really depressing but well done IMO. I enjoyed it. The visuals like you mentioned were great and really showed how bad the world has turned.

5. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

Just got it. Will watch it Tonight after work.

6. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been pushing hard for this movie ever since I saw it last year. Even if it's not the happiest story, it was visually gorgeous in how it presented desolation, and the performances were all-round excellent. I'm still amazed at what it achieved with careful selection of location + a good year of dedicated post-production on grading.

It actually eked out District 9 as my favourite film of 2009 by a sliiiiiiiiiiiim margin. :D  But I admit I may have small biases because of how The Road was passed over or simply not noticed by many audiences. (or didn't play in their town)