The return of the resources/tutorials thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Draven, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    This thread is [currently] solely for the links to
    1. application manufacturer's websites
    2. tutorial sites for different apps
    3. resources for different apps (plugins, objects, that sort of thing)

For example:

NewTek - makers of Lightwave 3D
    Flay.Com - LightWave 3D News and Resource site - massive Lightwave resource, updated almost daily, with a searchable database of plugins and tutorials
    LightWave Tutorials on the Web Splash Page - HUGE links page of Lightwave tutorials

Nope, I do it pretty much the same way.
    1) One model which is purely alt mode; no hidden robot parts at all.
    2) One model which is purely robot mode (any hidden weapons are on another robot mode only model, which is only used when those weapons are))
    3) One model whichis fully transformable. This is used for transformation scene animating.
    The biggest advantage to this way of working is that you don't need to have extra parts loaded that eat up memory; believe me, when you're working on a big scene this is a VERY good thing.

[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

There's Photoshop Art and FX Tutorials, it have a Photoshop coloring tutoral there.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  3. -=|cerebros|=-

-=|cerebros|=- Headmaster Commander

Ok so here it goes... Here's how I do the huge bots (metroplex/Trypticon).The steps apply to the smaller batch as well... This procedure is for 3dsmax but should apply to other as well. The terms used are all in the helpfile(s) for further explanation.

1)Model everything, and then make sure it looks good. Also make sure that it can transform to resemble the alt mode.
    2)Now create a proxy of that robot that's just a bunch of cubes but these cubes share the same bounding box and pivot/rotation points as the highres original.
    3)Now Xref the highres with the lowres proxy. You can now animate the lowres and when you render Xref will pull in the highres for the render. Makes animating a breeze, plus it has one major benefit. It separates your model from the animation. Meaning you can keep on continuing to apply texturing and materials and not worry about the animation thats assigned to the model.
    4)So when it comes to animating the transformation part I have another xref thats for the alt mode in "reverse". This has all its parts alligned to the parts on the robot.
    5) I then create a slider widget in max that will "blend" between the two. This slider pretty much controls the animation keys set to transform between pose 1 and the alt mode. Because it's all set in a expression that controls the slider, all I need to do is animate the slider and watch the robot "transform" in response...
    6) weapons and all that other stuff "morphs" or fades out/in as needed. Their transparency is linked into the widget animation as well.

*advantage to working like this*
    1) separates render version from animation version, light and responsive animation scenes are a result.
    2) continue texturing and lighting without having to worry about losing the animation
    3) Do it the way the big studios do ! : )

*disadvantage*
    You need to be able to script somethings and tie them all together. Also don't overwrite the scenes your Xref'ng to or your screwed.

Thats it, easy innit? :) 

C.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    We are in the process of overhauling the Fan Art section, as you can clearly see. These things take a lot of time and work. Thank you for your continued patience!

I just wanted to post a brief update:

I've went through over half of the tutorial links here, with some updates. Some updates you can visibly see; others you cannot. I still refer to my above post to let you know that we are still in the process of overhauling this portion (as well as others) in the Radicons Fan Art section.

Also, if you have a resource that you think is valuable, feel free to post it in Creative General Discussion, and simply tag it with the prefix of "Fan Art". If others find it useful, we'll move the thread to our resources section! However, this thread needs to remain clean otherwise. Now that Fan Art is a part of Radicons, we have no need of one single "dump" thread for all Fan Art tutorials, as we are creating a database of tutorials now :) 

I just wanted all of the Radicons to know that EACH tutorial link has been tested by yours truly in an effort to keep any of you from getting a good ol' 404 message. Stay tuned for a Fan Art Tutorials update from Radicons! :) 

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  5. Superquad7

News Credits:
  6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Ok guys, just a quick update:

All of the bad links have been removed. I mainly wanted everyone to see that work was being done, the amount of work (yes, I clicked each website for connectivity), and if someone had an entry that needs updating a friendly nudge to do so :) )).

There are some of the tutorials that are posted here that appear to still be useful. I know that much of this thread is geared towards 3-D renders so far. I want everyone to know that we want a robust section for Illustration resources. If you have any tutorials you'd like to share, please follow the updated instructions I've included in this thread.

Also, what I'd like to see in the remainder of this thread is some feedback only regarding the links this thread contains. Are these still useful to you? If so, which ones? If you have an updated example you think is better, simply quote the link and reply with your example. One thing I'd like to avoid further is linking to other discussion boards. If you know of a tutorial that is hosted on a discussion board, please submit it via the instructions I've already provided.

Thanks guys, and we'll continue with the updates as they come! :thumb 

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm thinking this will be one of the final updates here before the rest of this thread is fully resourced, but I've posted a discussion thread in Creative GD to discuss things. Feel free to contribute!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.