The Return of Optimus Prime Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I know there's a number of Season 3 fans out there, but I found it nigh on unwatchable. I and many, many others were hoping for Optimus to return, and so we got our wish. But more to my point, we got it in a very good two part episode with some extra effort in the animation and some pretty amazing touches in the writing - not the usual 30 minute toy commercial that lacked respect for the intellectual property behind it.

I especially liked how Rodimus wasn't just chucked aside like scrap metal. He had a truly heroic instrumental role in bringing Optimus back, and it was his faith in Optimus and courageous efforts made it possible. It was a respectful goodbye to a leader that may never have had the respect of most fans, but whose character required a well thought out part in its own replacement.

The hate plague as a plot device may not satisfy some people, but I thought it spoke to Optimus Prime's core values. In the end, only wisdom abolishes hate. It was a fitting way of bringing back the character.

Even if it was all too little too late, it was a great two part episode with special meaning.

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

It was harrowing as a kid to watch. Basically, things just keep getting worse and worse. By the end of the first episode, we've seen everyone infected except for Sky Lynx, Galvatron and some Quint, and later we get a glorious sequence of Galvatron freaking out in the face of the infection.

The end of teh story strongly implies that there are two uninfected beings in the galaxy. And then, we get "the Touch", in an epic little moment and some moralising that's aimed just at the right level to make any ten year old watching it go "wow, that's deep".

3. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I think it would've been better if it had been shown immediately after "Dark Awakening". I was confused as HELL as to how Optimus apparently blew up, then somehow was floating around in space. It took forever to sink in that he was pulled off his ship before it blew up.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I loved TROOP. period.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Really?

We're you a comic book reader at the time?

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Actually, no.

For whatever reason, I didn't make the connection.

7. kremzeek prime

kremzeek prime Kremzeek!!!!!

After being nearly scarred for life as a kid watching Prime dying in the movie, I remembered jumping up and down on the couch with excitement when he came back in TROOP. I still get nostalgic watching this now. Love it!!! :thumb 

8. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ok.

The reason I asked about comics is because vit was pretty common for comics to do stuff like that.

Meaning, give us the impression someone dies, like the Joker, in 1 issue, and then months & issues later, show us how he escaped at the last second.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Oh OK - I did read comics back then, and I know what you mean.

I remember seeing TROOP for the first time and being confused that Optimus was still in his ship, since the last we saw of him in Dark Awakening was when Rodimus and the others watched the ship blow up. I guess with the amount of time between seeing the two episodes, I didn't realize that the other ship was there to intercept it before it exploded. Hence my confusion. I should have read more comics I guess :D 

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I remember being really pumped for this episode as a kid. There had been a piece about it in the local paper (yes, apparently toy commercial cartoons were big enough news to get newspaper coverage in 1987). I really loved it at the time, too. My Ultra Magnus cab became my hate plague armor Optimus and there were actually a lot of pages in old coloring books I had at the time where all the living creatures were colored in all red. So yeah, big fan at the time.

Now, though, I fucking hate these episodes. Optimus comes back and usurps command from the Autobot's rightful leader, stealing and breaking the Matrix in the process, effectively destroying Hot Rod's ability to ever become Rodimus Prime again. Worse, Hasbro became so convinced that Rodimus had almost ruined Transformers that we've never gotten a proper Rodimus Prime era again. So, for me, these have kind of become the episodes that ruined G1.

11. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

yes the return of optimus was great. i never knew that his death caused a big uproar until just 5 or 6 years ago. prime is one of my fav bots of all time.

12. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I wont question your opinion, but how was the matrix broken?

13. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I think he was just alluding to the fact that it was "tapped out" of the wisdom of the ages, since it was distributed to infected organic and inorganic lifeforms throughout the radius area of the hate plague.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Thanks for the clarification.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I can remember the announcement commercial:

Over the shrill sound of the alarm you hear...
    "Heroes never die; I, Optimus Prime can never be defeated."

I want to say the episodes first aired in February... but I can easily be wrong about that.

16. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As a matter of fact, I started a video editing project that would combine Dark Awakening, and ROOP 1 & 2 into 1 full episode, while using Photoshop to straighten out any visual miscontinuity.

Then, after buying and watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture SE I saw that new editing and better visuals didn't make the movie better so I abandoned the project.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Bingo.

18. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I was pumped for it as a kid. I loved anything new and Transformers at the time.. Though the line "I know you too well Galvatron" bugged me even then.
    But I hate it now. It makes the movie almost pointless. I don't see how you can have 2 darkest hours and 2 chosen ones.... I mean it was done as a oops see kids we know Optimus Prime is the best Autobot ever! See! look what we did! Cool now? Gonna go beg your parents for more toys?????
    But what keeps me with Transformers is the fiction. The cartoon got me into it. The comic kept me for many years. I had the toys as a kid for sure but it was actually the story that kept it going for me so it bugs me that they did this.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime may have remembered Galvatron from "Dark Awakening" and someone like Blaster or Goldbug may have briefed Optimus on who Galvatron really was on the way to Cybertron in Skylinx.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  20. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This two-parterer should've really been the show's series finale.

Rebirth felt like a toy commercial.

Granted, all of G1 was a toy commercial, but it was done in a toed down way.