The return of iGear? (Ironhide and Runabout)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Qingtianzhu, May 9, 2017.

1. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    From the render, this Ironhide doesn't seem to have any more detail than the official version. Unless you mean that it has mirrors in van mode.

• Like Like x 1
  2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    yeah was gutted about this one ... would be awesome if they gave it a rework and the mp treatment as wouldn't fit my collection now

3. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Yep, I am one of those dissatisfied people.

Hasbro/Takara are good but not always the greatest. Especially when 3rd party companies are taking their designs and improving them. Besides that, I don't care for their hyper toon accuracy.

4. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    wonder if they are actually true or fake

5. casacrespo

casacrespo Well-Known Member

Maybe I am not seeing things right but is this yet another Ironhide with a belly? I think that it the part that Takara did not get 100% accurate. The van front is more of a chest than his entire chest and stomach. Looks like he has a serious Energon drinking problem.......

6. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

I think Ironhide is one of those bots that would benefit from a fake chest to get the proportions right.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yikes, those renders look like they are from 10 years ago. They are embarrassingly bad.

8. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Yes.

Too subjective, but if any TT MP qualifies, and many do IMO, it's Ironhide.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I think Ironhide has potential...he needs a decent pose and his shoulder color fixed, though. The question is can you give him dark gray shoulders and not end up with two random gray squares in the van?

The others...I don't know if they're supposed to look square and bulky like that. Whether they suck or they're spot on accurate, they're a pass for me either way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Bit hard to tell since this is only a render and straight on, but there is a hinge right beneath the window. suggesting that the lower part hinges backward. So hopefully it's not as bad as the TT beergut.

11. OstOgBajer

OstOgBajer Well-Known Member

Possibly... But it's still too wide when looking straight on :/

12. Liampope

Liampope Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd guess yes, cos looks to me they might have very heavily borrowed TT's transformation (and why wouldn't you if putting out an Ironhide at this stage since that is mostly genius) and just applying a few tweaks of their own to taste. Not sure what the red strip at the top of the window is all about - that dont look good, nor the plank feet, but interested to see more.

EDIT: Also - is it just me or does it look a bit like it uses that awful Transfusion head sculpt!

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

Yeah. That's what it looks like to me too, as of now. Which is too bad for so many reasons - mostly because I hate MP Ironhide's headsculpt so so much, and I've never gotten to see what it could look like with a different head.

14. tunaflash

tunaflash Banned

I recently broke down and got the official Ironhide/Ratchet because of the partsforming fix for the skirts, but I had been waiting for something like this to show up.

15. Mecheon

Mecheon Grumpy Dinosaur Nerd

I mean, I'm still bitter we have three Ironhide options, going onto four, and still not one single Raiden option...

16. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the point of this Ironhide, whilst TT's has been 'supposedly' divisive amongst the fandom I believe that even the most ardent TT van bros detractor would agree that TT's efforts are far superior to this!?

What's the point?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    i dont really see whats wrong with mp-27. its not good but its not as bad as everyone says it is

18. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm happy to have Multiple versions of a character I like and I don't mind about size either - If I can think of a use for it and it's not so similar as to be a straight up copy then I'm happy to buy multiples of characters who have multiples.

I would perhaps think there is a certain sense in picking other source materials or influences so you don't do the exact same thing as everyone else does.

As for the cartoon/toy/real-world accuracy dilema.

Personally I'm happy with something getting a little boost in tampographs or surface detail if the toy had it on the mould or the labels on a new version - though I get the appeal of a clean look to some degree - to clean can look boring the 3rd party Mp scale Weirdwolf is very guilty of that - as is Takara's MP Inferno. For example personally I'd liked MP Prowl to have Autobot logos or shields on his shoulders and a few more tampos related to his police car mode - I'd also like numberplates.

I don't mind "to much" if something uses grey or white plastic instead of chrome - as sometimes chrome can look a bit garish.

As for igear themselves I enjoyed their minibots a lot I still use them as my defaults - they are the perfect size to both look like a fat deluxe or to use as someone smaller in comparison to the bigger bots - sure they look cartoonishly silly but I think they are cute so that is why I'm more forgiving - I like both SXS & iGear's Gears though so much so that i've not really been chasing the other options yet.
    But I like what X-transbots does too (even if they have their issues with product quality) so If they did something like Swerve & Gears they'd likely be what I used as a default for MP/Voyager scale related play and display.

I do get the impression that all some people want is a representation of a character (mainly focused on the cartoon) or sometime either comics time period - which is fine if that is what floats your boat - but to me - I don't really sit here thinking about the next version of G1 Optimus Prime - I wonder about totally unrelated stuff sometimes - like background Characters from Unicron Trilogy or an enhanced upscalled Energon Optimus Prime or heck even more Heart of Steel toys.

After watching the recent Movie Trailers World War II Transformers has been very much on my mind again too.

19. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

It's hard to say what we've really got in this Ironhide based on that one bot mode pic...give the official one a shit pose and we can argue for days which is better...or 'worse' might be the more accurate term.
    [​IMG]
    I can't say I'd buy this one with as little as there is to go on, but I definitely wouldn't say the official one is so great I wouldn't consider another option.

20. redmetalgears

redmetalgears Well-Known Member

Ok so the hip flaps are somewhat excusable for me(because of budget?), but that godawful belly, face and diaper along with his totally weird gait killed this figure for me. This new offering seems decent in render form....until you see the final version with no paint and weird plastic choices.