The Return of Glen Hallit

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GlenHa

GlenHa Member

That's true, Buzzbeak.

Still waiting for names and current addresses to begin, though.

-Glen

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Oh I agree 100% I'm not a person who'd prevent someone from being a fan. That's just not my place

I only hope that none of my previous posts in this thread gave that impression.

Actually, I think it does Glen credit to have registered here on 2005. He knew what would be waiting for him if he did. Yet he did it anyway, who knows maybe if he continues to post and interact with us the way we interact with each other. Then maybe this whole sorry chapter could be put to rest :) 

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT Buzzbeak

Speaking as someone who's in the same situation (not with Glen but it's still a similar situation) if the party involved showed me through ACTION and NOT words that they were serious. I wouldn't be half as pissed.

It's like the old expression "Actions speak louder then words"

4. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Like Buzzbeak, I never bought anything from Glen. I read enough to know that the business wasn't anything I wanted to get involved with.

As for the forgiveness issue, that is up to the people who he owes money to. People who have no stake in this shouldn't be mad at him as he didn't screw them.

If the guy says he's working to make things right, then maybe it would be best to give him the benefit of the doubt and cooperate with him to give him a chance to redeem himself and be part of the community again.

5. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    The consumer would be pissed, yes that is true. At times tho there is very little that can be done. Take KB Toys closing a lot of their stores, one of them in Bellingham, about a 30 minute drive from Vancouver. I am sure all Vancouver people loved the fact that KB was so close. Now they have to drive all the way to Burlington for a KB store.

Sure it was a piss off but it was a business decision and had to be made by corporate.

If Glen is even considering an attempt at apeasing the people he pissed off then he is going far beyond his obgliations with Bankrupsy in effect.

I am not saying that people should not be pissed about not getting their stuff but that at times it is more than just taking people's money and running. I think it would be hard to declare bankrupsy if Glen had all your money sitting in a box somewhere just waiting for him to spend it.

Spencer.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

The biggest way he can make ammends is to leave us, Hasbro, Botcon, and Transformers in general alone.

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

If someone asked you to hold a football for them, the took a running start and kicked you in the face instead of kicking the ball, how many times would you let this process repeat itself before saying, "Naw man, I think you can hold your own ball."

I mean, I'm all for forgiveness when someone makes a genuine effort to make up for what they've done wrong. Showing up two years later and proclaiming yourself a changed person isn't exactly what I mean by that either.

He doesn't owe me money, but I'll never get back that week/weekend either. So I have no reason to specifically be pissed off at him at this point. But, I also say I have no reason to extend the hand of friendship.

I trust people's history better than I trust their publicly stated intentions. Glen's had the best of intentions many times before. Good intentions do not make one a good person.

All that said, I see no reason for him to disappear into a hole somewhere. Nor do I think he should be chased off the boards and hounded at this point. I'm not sure I agree with his "coming out" the way he's done here, but it's a gutsy move, and one I can respect in and of itself.

I would caution him though. I feel a small bit of resentment towards him, but if I saw him publicly I'd probably just shrug and walk away. I have a feeling there are plenty of folks in the fandom who don't feel so indifferent towards him, and I don't think it would be a good idea for him to show up at a fan event just yet. Maybe in another few years when he's found a way to show he's putting some effort into making reparations to the folks who deserve it, then maybe. But right now, I'm thinking there's enough anger amongst a group not known for the ability to forgive and forget that he shouldn't go looking for trouble in a public gathering.

Good luck, Glen. If you're trying to get back to active fandom of any kind, you're going to need it. And as much as I disagree with some of your past actions, I'd be delighted to be proven wrong about my own assumptions of your current actions. At this point, it will take more than words to convince me, but it wouldn't take much more than words. One small gesture might be enough to turn me from shrugging and walking away to walking up, shaking your hand, and saying, "Nice to see you. Glad to see things are working out for you, however slowly."

Until such time, I'll sit back and watch cautiously.

8. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge

News Credits:
    There no need for that tone really is there?
    Of course Glen isn't going to be involved with any conventions or projects, don't be stupid

Everybody makes mistakes, some bigger than others

You can carry on hating all you like, won't change sh1t

I think Glen has openly said he accepts his mistakes and has said he's sorry

Posts like that just make this ugly IMO, and its just not needed

Paul

9. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw it as a "free pass" because that thread seemed like the most reliable form of communication to a passing eye. *shrug*

No doubt you have many good intentions, Glen. However, I would recommend being -very- proactive about this issue. It's great that you want to get back into the net side of the fandom, but this money deal is going to be sitting right in the faux spotlight of the web alongside you until it's resolved.

Simply offering some solutions now, naturally I have no idea what you're doing on your own time, but I'm rather sure this stuff'll be applicable:

-Get a stickied thread going -somewhere-, with an email address clearly available.
    -Do everything you can to get in touch with people. DON'T WAIT FOR THEM, start the dialogue yourself.

I'm sure some would tell me to click a profile, send a PM, etc, but that involves doing the contact-info-search myself and possibly having to register on a board.

Putting the best foot forward would be to get proactive, and settle this stuff. Make it -very easy- on those who are owed. Double check with all the people on that list of yours, get dialogues going, and communicate. The worst thing to do right now is repel the ball out of your court; it'll just slow things down and not do anything to improve the situation.

Even if you cannot pay the money right now, STAY IN CONTACT and COMMUNICATE with those owed nontheless, even if it's just a weekly "I haven't forgotten, I'm still working on it". The worst thing to say is nothing at all.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Vangelus brings up a good point. The worst thing Glen's done since his "return" is telling folks they need to contact him now with current names and addresses. I'm not sure what the correct solution is there, as you can't go posting everyone's real name publicly and ask them to update contact information for you, but I also don't think the correct answer is starting the dialog with "you need to contact me." There has to be a happy middle ground there somewhere.

11. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of my intentions in the post prior was to say "use the names you have now, call them, email them, start one-on-one dialogues". :D  Just because the list -might- be outdated is no reason not to contact all those on it. See who's been paid, who hasn't, and keep the communication going.

Doing that and publically providing an email address in a stickied post would both cover getting most of the necessary dialogues underway.

12. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Not willing to forgive anyone who left fans out of pocket due to failed conventions or stores, personally. There've been some successes (I'm still getting comics from a guy in the UK who set up to supply stuff during the Dreamwave embargo) but -- generalising as a whole -- too many fans seem to have good intentions and enthusiasm whilst lacking business acumen.

To borrow a phrase, "There are reasons and there are results, and only results count."

No crying for blood from this direction -- only because not personally out of pocket -- but I wouldn't place trust. It's more not forgetting things than not forgiving.

13. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

While I normally agree with much you say, and indeed you put forth some very well thought argumnets, I have to disagree here.

My father and I own a business here in Halifax. Nearly went bankrupt a few years back but we avoided it. But, if we didn't, we had many options to avoid paying the folks we owed money to. The easiest way would have been to sell the bulk of our inventory to the owner of a similar business that just so happens to be a friend of the family's.
    No money, of course, would actually exchange hands. And down the road, we could just go recover our goods from the storage locker that the family friend rented. And most of our assets like vehicles etc, that we own could be shifted into alternate ownership. The plan long ago was for most of our assets to be put into the name of someone else so we couldn't lose much.
    So, simply put, it's very easy to screw everyone out of they're rightly owed money while losing only a reletive few bucks yourself.
    Unscrupulous? Hell yes. But still easy to do. So bankruptcy really doesn't matter.

Oh, and one other thing:
    While bankruptcy absolves a person/entity of ther legal and financial obligations, there is still one more obligation that is vastly more important than those.

Moral. Bankruptcy or not, he screwed those people out of money. Either by being corrupt or through supreme mishandling of the business. Either way, those people are owed money and they deserve it.

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm not involved in this in anyway, so I have no feelings towards Glen personally. But you're absolutely right. If I ever found myself in this position--and I hope that I don't, but I'm not so arrogant as to believe it never will--I would feel morally obligated to right the wrongs. Too often, morality is dismissed nowadays, and I'm glad that at least one person--although I'm sure there's others--feels that there is a fundamental issue of right and wrong here. Right is right, and the obligation is on the offender to repair the wrongs--in this case, by aggressively contacting the parties involved, and paying them as he can, while communicating openly with the remainder until the situation is resolved.

I seriously doubt Glen is a bad person, much less an evil one. Bad people set out to do this to folks--regular folks with regular shortcomings do it by accident. But while that might get you a legal pass, and it might get you a financial one, it doesn't absolve you morally.

15. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    This thread should never have been posted in the first place by someone attached to the site. Because it was, it started the topic off in a sour tone and it didnt recover.

This thread is closed. Leaving it visable for a bit, then deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.