The Return of Glen Hallit

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Kickback, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17406

User: Ramsay Lokos

For those of you unfamiliar with who he is, he USED to run the official convention of the Transformers. But because he was unable to pay or actually get the figures produced/shipped/packaged like he was supposed to in his license, Hasbro yoinked it and gave it to Master Collector/Fun Publications, which has now run TWO SUCCESSFUL AND PROFITABLE shows.

He first joined with Jon and Karl Hartman back in the 90's as some financial power to help create a better BotCon. At the dinner at BotCon 2002, Glen Hallit announced that HE was now the official Transformers convention, which was a huge surprise to both Karl and Jon because Glen never told them before hand. After that, they all met in Chicago to look at a location for BotCon 2003. It was there that Glen more or less cornered Jon and Karl in to a room with his lawyer and got them to sign over their rights to the show. He then did an interview with TFormers where he lied about why Jon and Karl weren't involved now, so Jon and Karl did an interview with TFW2005 to counter his BS.

In case others have forgotten, Glen Hallit was also the man who blamed European Transformers fans for his not making a profit at OTFCC Europe and then turned around and said it was their fault that they will never have an official show there again. He called TFW2005 an amateur site at best, personally came at me because I said Scott McNeil, for the 4th year in a row, was boring compared to BotCon 2004's guest of Peter Cullen. He lost the hotel for OTFCC 2004 only months before the show was set to happen. To top it off, he had to make a payment the day before the show, was unable to do so himself, so borrowed money from his own staff members and apparently Joel from BBTS. The hotel was smart enough to refuse his credit or his checks.

He paid Dan Gilvezan a check that went to a bank account that was empty. And issued refund checks for fans with the same bank account. He had an excuse for everything that went wrong. He was just waiting for the money from the show to go in to the bank account. It was always Hasbro's fault too.

Hard Hero made a custom Unicron statue for Glen Hallit. It ended up delayed, and Glen Hallit publicly ridiculed Hard Hero for it. At that point, Hard Hero released E-mails and other evidence proving that the reason it was delayed was because Glen Hallit was actually demanding changes that they had already agreed on *A WEEK BEFORE THE SHOW*.

Now he's back, he's trying to make ammends. Are you ready to forgive him? Are you ready to believe that he's a changed person, that he really cared about the fandom after insulting it time and time again? Are you ready to forgive a guy who lied to ALL OF US time and time again?

If you are, say so, and we'll get Pat Lee here, because I'm sure you're all ready to forgive him too.

FYI, the AllSpark has requested that no one post any "WHERE IS MY MONEY" comments or anything insulting in that thread. So please don't. However, you can post it here. Let's see if Glen is ready to come to a board that DIDN'T include a majority of his FREE staff (see: #wiigii!).

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    He should register here...

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I saw that the other day. I can't believe the Wiigii crew is still sticking up for him.

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I would like him to. This board is different, people won't hold their punches and he would actually have to ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW HE SCREWED UP instead of everyone being told NOT to ask those types of questions. If he posts here, he will earn some respect back from me personally, because if one is really ready to own up to their shit, you go to a place you know you won't be protected and take the heat like the person you claim to be now.

5. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

We'll see...

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've never been to a TF convention and doubt I ever will, but all that aside, the way he presents himself in his personal dealings with other people is ridiculous. Hopefully he really has changed.

*cues 'biggest douche in the universe' theme song*

7. quantumhawk

quantumhawk Retired Allspark Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just to clarify, I'm not aware that anyone on staff at the Allspark restricted what questions could be asked, other than no "where's my money" questions. For obvious reasons, a thread full of 200 "where's my money" posts would not really lend itself well to a discussion where people can actually ask questions of meaningful content.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wonder if it would be ONLY 200 "Where's My Money?" posts. (He has none of my money. Thankfully.)

9. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I dunno. I've questioned the integrity of many of that lot many times before this, so them defending Hallit is really no shock to me.

10. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    In the words of the unnamed tentacle Quintesson... "Feed him the the Sharkticons"

"Oops, sorry" doesn't cover a fraction of all the trashing and manipulating he pulled. He's the worst kind of businessman, nothing but dishonesty. I dont see a reason to believe him now given his track record.

11. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgave TONY for not getting me what I ordered when I eventually got a refund and or items in substitution for what I should have gotten. However, that was for what happened with me. To this day, so many things he promised he would do to make things right for his other customers hasn't happened (there were public things he promised to do that never happened), or if they have, he kept quiet about them. All I do know for certain is that one of my friends still hasn't recieved his comics from a few years ago now.

In the case of Glen, I too forgave him as I did get everything I ordered eventually. Just like Tony and Ryan from Seibertron, I feel he simply took on far too much than he could handle and things got out of hand. I do give guys like Ryan and Glen credit though for putting problems out in the open (yes, after the problems got very big) and acknowledged them and did try to do something about them.

As for Pat Lee, well we know he just pocketed all the money and ran.

12. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... be interesting to see what happens from this point on. Thankfully, I didn't get as screwed over as alot of people did sense I only lost money through his version of the club... which Maseter Collector & Hasbro were kind enough to grant me back in the form of a years free membership. Still irritating though...

However, I'm sure the guy's going to get linched if he ever shows up here... and no... I don't feel sorry for him. He'd really have been better off waiting around another five to ten years before trying to come back to the community.

13. Kalidor

Kalidor Member

Although I can understand the frustration that would lead to something like this topic being showcased, I have to say I'm a bit surprised by the execution of it.

While its clear there were a lot of issues with the last convention he ran, and certain people feel like they got screwed over and what not -- clear indications that the 'business' side of things went south, I don't really understand the point of this.

Its basically a declaration of an old west style "You gotta lot of nerve showin yer face around here" kind of commentary. I mean, regardless of what is or isn't owed to people for whatever reason, the guy isn't here promoting his latest convention. He just came by to open a dialog and just sort of be there. He didn't hide who he was or anything, and he's been pretty open about things.

I don't know about "Glen the business man" because what I do know comes from second and third hand information, but I'm certainly willing to read and listen to what the guy has to say. But I do know "Glen the guy" and I've never been left with a bad impression of his intentions or his integrity. Sure he's fucked up some things, we all have - but I guess I've always tried to live by the philosophy that intentions play a big part in how I feel about those fucked up actions.

Personally, I like "Glen the guy" He's always been nice to me and I saw first hand how he went out of his way to try to make things work. Obviously, what I feel and what I saw doesn't change the negative actions and probably won't sway anyone's opinions of those actions.

It just seems weird to me to be after the guy's head in a public venue where, unlike Pat Lee (as mentioned as an example), the guy isn't still trying to run conventions or fuck people over. I don't think he ever *meant* to and I guess I just don't see the point of this kind of topic being made. It reeks of those inter-fandom type politics of "us vs them" (Be it boards or members of the official companies or whatever).

Anyway, I'm not here to try to discourage you from speaking your minds or being angry at someone. I just thought I'd offer my thoughts on the matter based on my experiences with him personally. I like Glen and I know he at least meant well, despite getting stressed and making some bad choices.

In either case, I don't think you can ever truly blame a single person for anything. Be it in this case, companies going out of business or even guys like Dubya -- there's always plenty of accountability to go around in any situation.

I guess that's all I wanted to say.

14. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some of the most dispicable acts in human history were done with the best intentions.

15. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    I have to agree with Kalidor on this one. I also didn't have any business dealings with Glen, and I do agree that a lot of the stuff that went down at the end of the 3H era was pretty ugly, but he's not really doing anything hurtful by posting on a message board.

I've found his comments about his time running the convention to be informative, self-deprecating in places, and just plain interesting, and I would be sad if the Rakshas of the fandom decided to drive him out.

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

For me, Glen hits one of my personal pet peeves by being a sneaky rat-bastard with his partners. Anyone in attendance at the 2002 BotCon Dinner could see the reaction of the rest of 3H up on that podium when Glen announced that *HE* was the official license holder for exclusive rights to conventions and fan clubs. Most were too busy clapping and screaming to care at the time, but my buddy who pays about as much attention to fandom big-wigs as I do to the price of tea in China leaned over and said, "Wow. Who is this asshole and why won't he shut up?" Yeah, exactly.

And while I've heard more details since that day, each new detail just sort of adds up to another strike against him. I'm sorry, but no matter how it was spun, the one thing I can't just let go was the way he pulled the rug out from under his partners. Especially when Glen's side of the story was pushed, pushed, PUSHED by damn near everyone, and Jon and Karl just sort of said, "Here's our piece, we said it, we're done."

So, forgive him if you feel like it. I can let all the fan-whining go for the most part. But the way he played his partners just mirrors something in my own life from close to the same time and having seen it up close I just can't let that one go. It eats at me every time I see his name.

Now, I don't put him on the same level as Pat Lee. There's a difference between screwing your partners and screwing countless individuals out of their work while stringing them along with promises of . . .

Oh wait, maybe there isn't.

17. GlenHa

GlenHa Member

You know, Chris, I chose to post at the other board because they, unlike what I’ve seen and read from this forum (and you in particular), have the ability to listen to others’ reasons and explanations and make judgment calls based on fact and not opinion and hearsay. They are willing to recognize that people make mistakes and sometimes ask for forgiveness when people admit they were wrong.

I don’t need any apologists and I certainly don’t need to read or listen to your hate-filled posts. Since 2002, TFW2005 has been on my ass for whatever reasons and have not cut me one bit of slack when things went right OR wrong. I am not going to put you or this board down because I have read great discussions from time to time over the past couple of years, including some posts from you, since I left. What I DO notice is that you always want to lynch someone and I happened to be that target until I went away. Now that I have “returned”, as you say, once again you folks have a nice easy target. Once again the negativity starts.

I have apologized to Jon and Karl a number of times over the past years. What I did was reprehensible and underhanded. I had the best of intentions and (what I thought) were the right reasons and I took them out on the wrong people. I betrayed their trust and lost very good friends for the stupidest of reasons. I wish I could have a do-over with them, but that’s not going to happen. My apologies were accepted and we moved on.

Your post takes select things that occurred and you basically inserted your own yellow journalistic, hate-spewn, bile-filled opinion and went all sensationalistic. Well, sorry, I’m not biting. I would love to have the chance to talk about how things went down and explain myself of why things occurred – offering explanations AND apologies, but you know what? You don’t care, nor will you ever. You’ll think I’m offering up some lame explanation to cover myself and use Hasbro/Jon/etc as scapegoats. No matter what I say, I’m lying or wrong, correct?

So, what is the point of posting and offering to answer honest, courteous questions here at TFW2005? You’ll take your shots and sling underhanded insults, you’ll make fun of me and my family, you’ll threaten me and you’ll allow others to do the same because that’s what you’ve always done and it’s what I “deserve”. That’s what you “think”.

I am deeply sorry for screwing things up royally with the convention near the end of my time. I am deeply sorry for offending the TF fan community and I am sorry I couldn’t make it better. I had the best of intentions and wanted to do better, but the circumstances to do so weren’t there. I made a huge amount of mistakes and I cannot go back and repair them. All I can do is say “I’m sorry”.

However, I am not sorry for not responding to your insults and expose myself to degrading, childish attacks. I am sorry for those that want to hear more about things and want those explanations and apologies, but because of hatemongering attitudes, won’t get the chance.

I’m not looking for a fight, but you definitely want one. Let's hope one day YOU don't seek forgiveness for some bone-headed moves YOU made. Take care, Chris. This board is, and always will be, yours to command.

-Glen

18. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

they call it "the past" for a reason.

19. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amen Glen!

20. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Let me preface this with "I do not know Glen, or anything that happened during this time." I was not "in the fandom" during this time. As an outsider to the situation, it is quite enlightening to read all of this.

I think it was said by someone at the Allspark.. ."there are 3 sides to every story... yours, mine, and the truth." I feel the truth will never be known. From what I understand, Glen screwed up pretty badly. He screwed people out of money. Whomever the blames lies with, people lost out of money they shouldn't have.

Was that wrong? Absolutely!
    Should he be held accountable for this? Absolutely... both legally and finacially!
    Does it sound like he is trying to make-up for his mistakes? Don't know.

On the one hand, Glen is making an appearance and facing the fans. On the other hand, he appears to be somewhat "shielded" in his appearance. I don't see any issue with letting the people involved with the situation ask the questions they want to. Why can they not ask, "where's my money?" That is a perfectly reasonable question. If I had given money for something I did not receive the only two questions I would have would be: (1) Where's my stuff? and (2) Since you don't have my stuff, where is my money?

As for Kickback looking for a fight... maybe. There is always the ignore user button if you don't want to deal with him... or you can also not read his posts. Works just as good. :wink:  I feel his post was just putting the story out there for those not familiar with the situation... you have to admit the guy can write a pretty good article. If there are errors with it, please correct them. Like I said, I'm just reading as an independent observer here. I'm interested in the other side of things too.

Just my two cents... although they are Canadian... not worth that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.