The RetrOBright de-yellowing process. Has anyone here tried it on their Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by opt1musaber, Jun 18, 2014.

1. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I remember a few years ago I tried a low 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution on my G1 Star Saber and it didn't quite work out :( 

Well I didn't do enough research as I recently stumbled upon this site RetrOBright that not only shows you how to fix your yellowing, but the 101 basics and science to it. I haven't read through it completely, but I have a much clearer understanding of why some of our beloved G1 figures have turned Yellow.

It turns out that a lot of plastics in the 80's and 90's, were using (and still are I believe, but back then it wasn't perfected in the way it was used compared to now) the element Bromine. This had a Brown-like colouring and was added to ABS plastics so that under heat, it wouldn't go up into flames, acting as a flame ******ant. BROMINE is THE culprit of yellowing more than UV light itself. UV light just acts as a catalyst for the Bromine to separate from its bonds and form with Oxygen, the more of this that happens the more Yellow our figures get :/

The exciting bit. This can all be reversed near 100% and with the correct solutions, tools and trials, we can get our vintage Transformers back to like it was fresh out the factory :) 

I have read that Hydrogen Peroxide isn't enough by itself and instead of buying litres and litres of it, you can create a simple paste from household ingredients. Well mostly.

The ingredients:
    - Hydrogen Peroxide solution (this requires some research into what exact solution should be used depending on the circumstances of the item in question) - online or hairdresser supply stores
    - Xantham gum - purchase from health food stores or online
    - "Oxy" laundry booster - I'm guessing any type of laundry booster will do. Do some research into this.
    - Glycerine - purchase from Pharmacies

They say that you can use a blender to form a cream, just make sure the blender is thoroughly cleaned afterwards. Follow the instructions on their site as I'm trying a different (lazier) approach and I'll get to that later. Also make sure you wear gloves and glasses, the Peroxide can irritate the skin and potentially cause blindness :eek: 

There are also some ready made Hydrogen Peroxide creams available, BUT do check for certain ingredients added. Terpenes were mentioned as one that should be avoided as it eats away plastics :eek:  Make sure you check for Terpenes before starting the process!

You can prevent the yellowing from reappearing, or at least prolong it by using Armor-all or clear acrylic nail polish. This prevents Oxygen in the atmosphere interacting with the Bromine in the plastics and should prevent from the ugly monster showing its head again.

I just bought myself a product called salon care 40 crème and I'm waiting for it to arrive. This is a cream solution that I saw in a video and the results were impressive. It was used on old computers, but I'm hoping it'll work on Transformers too. I'll post up some results on my G1 Star Saber and hopefully it'll be good ones!

I would love to hear of others experience with this process on their Transformers and even more so if they have used the particular cream I am about to use. Maybe, warn me on any potential hazards I'm about to face using this stuff.

2. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

Wow great stuff, will definitely track this. I know of someone who may need this for a G1 Valkyrie Sky Fire. Hopefully MP Prowl isn't vulnerable (I know he is mostly painted but those leg flaps...).

3. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have used Retrobright gel recipe (the "original" recipe from that website) on the white keys of an old synthesizer. The keys were extremely yellowed when I started. I did 4 or 5 treatments, but only got about 75% improvement.

It definitely works, but I think I need to try a different process to reach 100%. I'm planning to buy a couple gallons of 12% peroxide (expensive) and mix it with some cheaper 3% that can be bought in bulk anywhere... so that I have enough to completely submerge all the synth keys inside a clear plastic tote, then saran wrap the top of the tote to seal it air-tight, and leave it in the sun.

If possible, I'd suggest you do the same thing with whatever Transoformers you are working on. Just take them apart until you have just the white plastic piece with no metal pins or screws attached, and completely submerge it in 12%. Leave it in an air-tight plastic or glass jar in the sun and just check it every 15 minutes until it looks right. I have done this for a few small items. You don't even need the oxi-booster if you do it this way, but it doesn't hurt.

I've only had success improving plastic that was originally white. I tried it on an old G1 Nightbeat (blue plastic) that has yellowed, and it didn't help at all.

BTW, there are probably a dozen or more long threads about this already here, if you just search this section for "peroxide" or "retrobright".

4. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Ah, my bad, I should have used the search function :eek:  I'll have a look through, I only remember seeing a few mentioning Yellowing and using Peroxide to remedy it, but nothing about the RetrOBright process itself.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying a cream that is apparently 12% Hydrogen Peroxide, the only problem is I'm not 100% sure on what all the active ingredients are...I'll find out when I get it which may be a few weeks (shipping from the U.S). If it's all good the advantage of this cream is that I don't need to completely disassemble the figure. In my case Star Saber is a large chunky bot with lots of flat and smooth surfaces, so it should make the the process easy to apply. Also there are parts that I just couldn't remove without damaging it, so this cream method is my best bet.

5. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem. Yeah that cream you are talking about or the Retrobright gel recipe sound like the right options, if you just want to coat the outside of a toy without taking it apart.

6. Chevytron951

Chevytron951 Well-Known Member

has anyone tried the Salon Care Creme on current figure like Gen. Drift. my drift has yellowed and I've been searching for solutions to this issue would rather fix it, than buy a new one since its expensive on a secondary market. :/

7. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just used it on the white sections of my Roadfire. I put three pieces into a jar and just filled it. Let it sit sealed with a UV bulb (led so no heat) right next to it. Worked like a charm and the plastic feels really nice and smooth. The figure was covered in dust when I got it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    That's damn exciting news, Optronix!
    Any chance that you took before/after pics? Is there any change to the feel of the plastic?

9. Optronix1087

Optronix1087 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep sure thing. The before photos are from the Ebay listing. The chest, left thigh and one of the forearms had some yellow. Mostly the chest and thigh. I got replacement stickers and the plastic has a matte feel now but isn't concerning me.

That matte feel may be from other methods I attempted including using high concentrate peroxide and iron out, fair warning. Those two will make fumes and heat, and the fumes stink. None of which made the plastic brittle, and did work some.

I'd also like to note for anyone curious. I did take the entire figure apart, covered in dust as I had mentioned. He is extremely clean and feels new. All of the joints move smoothly and easily now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Wow, that looks like new.