The Republic of Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by Alienbot, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Movieverse story, told from Ratchet's point-of-view. Tales from time of peace, learning and intellectual establishment, built upon a foundation of militaristic might.

Ratchet observed the small, amusing contraption in front of him. It was a gift from Ironhide, his brother. They had always been unalike: Ratchet the talkative, intellectual, who now acted as Optimus Prime's liason to the High Council of Ancients. Ironhide though was the quieter, yet more fierce and battle hungry fighter, who was always scouting for Lord High Protector Megatron's continious plans of expansion. Megatron's plans for the Autobots to expand beyond Cybertron were not as popular as he hoped, though it brought in much energy for their home. Ironhide's gift was a circular object, made of two levels. Ratchet pressed a button intersecting both levels, and as he pushed it more, the faster these circular levels spinned.

Ratchet found it fascinating, and felt it would make a worthy addition to the upcoming upgrade. His old colleague Wheeljack invented a new spin on Autobot biology, in which they could rearrange their forms into common objects, providing economy for the guards who patrolled the galaxy, taking energon and fascinating artifacts to power and enrichen this magnificent society. Wheeljack had actually dared to tamper with the Allspark, but everything went to plan. It was as if the Cube had approved of the old nut's plan. Ratchet didn't think much of it first, as he was fine with using ships to travel in, and he always viewed the protoforming as a purely cosmetic element of physiology. But he did have a sense of wonder as Megatron and his pupils, Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker soared across the sky.

Ah, those seekers, as everyone called them, were once pupils of Jetfire. Allegedly Starscream was gifted but too arrogant, and this is what Megatron saw of him. Our stern secondary commander is a wise and firm lord, but his decisions could be bizzare. He seems to be paying for it, now that Starscream is jealous of his two new compatriots. Likewise, Ratchet was taken by Optimus Prime from the laboratories, where he measured the raw protoforms created by the Allspark, and gave them a shape, a personality and an adopted family. Ratchet thought of those biological lifeforms he had seen on his student travels, and was thankful his grand society didn't have such a crude reproduction format. He missed the lab, but he definitely loved working under Optimus Prime and his lieutenant Jazz.

It was now the seventy-second hour, and Ratchet moved out of his chair and into the hall. He welcomed Soundwave, and his pupil Blackout. Not that you would have known it: Blackout was an enormous, yet gentle apprentice. He worshipped Soundwave, the mysterious and elegant secretary of Megatron. Megatron and Soundwave were known for their welcoming nature: Megatron inducted all who fell out of society's favour into his army, including a savage malformed protoform named Bonecrusher, whom Megatron kept as a pet. Somehow all one could see in that poor Autobot's eye was nothing but contempt for the wonders Megatron shows him in the universe.

Now the next chapter is up to you. The High Protectors? The Council of Ancients? The Protoform Labs? The cities of Cybertron where the civilains roam?

2. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Very nice! The next chapter, difficult choise. I think that The High Protectors should be interesting, but I like to know more about the friendly Megatron, everything is still a bit blurry to me.

But keep it on, I like to read more

3. Alienbot

News Credits:
    Thanks. Now then:

Ratchet awoke from his rest. He telepathically commanded his metallic encasing to open up and allow his form to climb out of his sleeping shell. He felt shaken, having spent the night transferring data files for Prime to allow the Autobot ruler to organise the hearings Prime would attend in the next few weeks. Land violations this, energon tax that, still, it was easier than caring for protoforms. Cybertron's citizens referred to one another as brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter, but the numerous courtcases Ratchet had to arrange made him feel like he had no family. Thank the Cube, he was visiting his brother.

Ratchet stepped into the shuttle, which soared across the cities of Cybertron. Ratchet was used to the wonders of the Autobot civilization, as he walked across the higher levels of SimFur every day to work for the Ancients. There could be worse backdrops he thought though. After six hundred days, Ratchet would welcome Ironhide back from military service. At the port, a vessel of a bulky front end, and smaller aft, touched down, and transformed. Ironhide clasped his brother with his enormous arms, altered to contain enormous cannons.

"Didn't you promise to remove those on leave?", laughed Ratchet.
    "Eh, what's the point? I'm going to wield them again. Besides, my arms were ridiculously tiny compared to my shoulders."
    "So is the service? How's that apprentice of yours, what's her name?"
    "Arcee. She's excellent: alright with melee, excellent with range attacks."
    "Good good, how's mighty Megatron?"
    "Well you know, a true wonder among Autobots, but you just look at him and don't want to say a word. It's as if he'll explode any minute."
    "With Starscream around, no wonder."
    "Oh yeah! No slag, we were at some planet inhabited with intelligent arachnids, and he completely blew the Code of Infiltration. He hated their tech so much, he just ripped off the kibble from his protoform! Then there was screaming, and drones sent in to fight this "monster", and oh spark, Megatron had to use his combined arms to make them agree to peace and subjugation under Autobot shadow."
    "Scaring them with the threat of 'Hiding among you, and you will never know when we shall strike!'"
    "Yeah, like I said, firm lord. Wanna get some energon power-ups?"
    "Indeed."

The two brothers strode back into the shuttle. Ironhide noted to his friend,
    "You really need to get an alternate form."
    "Shall we do it in twelve shifts time?"
    "OK, something good for you, big like my one."

My next story will be the Protoform Labs. There, I'll explain fully protoforms, families and growing up.

4. Rhinox007

Rhinox007 Liquid Fire

Nice, finally an explanation for the family thing

5. Alienbot

News Credits:
    Ironhide and Ratchet, after a deeply satisfying lunch, stepped into the local Protoform Lab. Here was a place of joyous quiet, as white walls seperated visitors away from the messy process of creation. Here, energy from the Cube was stored and treated to be as civil as possible. Then it was properly transferred to metal ore, where it would take shape and form. Such a process was delicate, and special care was taken to make the newly born protoform as tame as possible: taking on physical form created a feral nature, a deep sense of defending one's body.

Ratchet and Ironhide entered the learning room. Protoforms learnt of Cybertron's history, the Autobot code, and develop personalities, and experiment with building unique bodies on their frame here. It was always an amusing, if limited process. Some Transformers had hollow tubes, some had bulkier frames. Ratchet remembered when he remembered how he chose to shape his mass into two large shoulders, in honour of Ironhide, who chose to welcome Ratchet into his home. After years of forming bonds at the Lab with the doctors and fellow young protoforms, older Autobots would pick the young to raise or give a start in life. Ironhide was an old timer, but recognised the need for doctors: he gave Ratchet a start in life rather than a home, so they were brothers than father and son.

Ratchet also saw the protoforms were choosing alternate modes, based on the mass in their bodies. Life was funny: a spark injected into ore could either come out forming a small body, or an enormous one. These days, Autobots were generally fifteen to thirty feet tall, but there were the old ones, who were said to be enormous! Prime and Megatron were tall, but were of enough build to have the grace and speed necessary to lead. They were not, like that rookie Blackout, unable to look at their own feet.

"So Ratchet, what shall it be?"
    "My mass is only necessary to take on the form of a shuttle, not a jet."
    "Good enough".
    Ratchet scanned and morphed, and felt heat, ectasy and transcendence as his biology installed configurations for potential rearrangement. Ratchet then felt dizzy as he rearranged his body into a shuttle.
    "Don't worry", Ironhide joked, "you'll get used to it. Many of the soldiers have been through transformation exercises to understand that the spark is all that matters, and the form is but a tool."
    "Indeed", replied Ratchet as he transformed, "'till all are one as Optimus said. I like it, very spacious in the aft, I can store all my tools more easily now!"

A sudden voice fired into their heads. A magnificent voice called, "I do like your form. Strong, and solid like mine and Ironhide's. You too must accept my invitation to sit among me to welcome Megatron. He is holding a parade in honour of the highest amount of merril ever collected in a week."

Ironhide laughed; "Parades, parades! Must we hold one for whatever occasion?"
    A nurse scolded him, "The protoforms are meditating!"

6. Alienbot

News Credits:
    The ceremony was dull as usual. Hordes of Autobots came cheering Megatron and his seekers as they descended from space, and as the High Lord Protector landed, he gave a striking speech of Autobot supremacy, and how their race were a diamond in the rough universe, which would expand for eternal glory. Always the same stirring nonsense: for anyone who would bother to look, they could tell Prime's mind was focusing on other matters. He cared not for power, but he was always content with the simpler day-to-day running of Cybertron. There was a peaceful quality to him: clearly his heart was on a higher plane than others.

Prime was Protector of the Allspark: now Ironhide and Ratchet were curious. Unlike the swift and eager Megatron, Prime saw the Allspark everyday. Even as Prime's secretary, it had not occured to Ratchet as to whether he could actually see the Cube. Was it the key to Prime's calm personality? So after the weekend, Ratchet called Prime:

"Oh mighty and wise Optimus Prime, I have a request for you."
    "Go ahead my secretary. Do you wish to return to your old life, caring for Protoforms and fixing those soldiers who have been wounded on expeditions?"
    "Why no", Ratchet stammered, wondering how on Cybertron Prime had known of his desires. "I was wondering your majesty, could I see the Cube?"
    "Yes my friend."

On the beginning of the week, Prime and Ratchet, in their speedy shuttle forms, soared to the Cube's Keep, deep within the offices and palaces placed at Iacon. They transformed: Ratchet shook. He still had to get used to that. They were greeted by Ironhide, who saluted Prime and got Ratchet back on his feet. "I want to see you see it, brother", he stated.

The Doors swung open. Prime entered, and the brothers followed. Ratchet saw the Cube in its immensity: the Cube floated, with mysterious inscriptions snaring all over its shape. Ratchet heard singing, but no one but them were there. He then saw it: past the Cube's physical shape, he felt the presence of the Allspark. Every Autobot who ever lived, who do live, and will ever live, he could see, hear and smell them all. He saw life, death, love, hate, and the entire universe. Beyond the ramblings of Megatron, he recognized that to be an Autobot, one accepted themselves as part of the universe, as protectors of the Cube, and even then the Cube was but a gateway into a deeper consciousness within the universe.

Ratchet was so overwhelmed, he fainted.

7. Alienbot

News Credits:
    Two weeks passed since that eventful meeting with the Cube. Ratchet and Ironhide in the middle levels of the cities of Cybertron, having a casual meeting with Soundwave, who also saw the Cube on their recommendation.

"It was... awesome," intoned Soundwave, "beautiful. I shall tell High Lord Megatron to visit it too."
    "Really", spluttered Ironhide, "he hasn't seen it for real? Blimey, I thought he and Prime were brothers."
    "You misunderstand the role of the Protectors Ironhide", Ratchet noted, "Optimus is Guardian of the Allspark, the Megatron is High Lord Protector of Cybertron. One administers the heart, the other the body. Megatron is an expansionist."
    "Indeed", Soundwave concurred, "Lord Megatron makes his visits fleeting now, for he views Cybertron as but one of many worlds our race shall shine on."
    "His vision seems a bit narrow."
    "Ironhide, Megatron explores when guided and tipped. He shall eagerly visit the Cube if I ask him."
    "Will he look at it with wonder, I speculate?"
    "Of course. He tells me often he feels little of planets are worth salvaging. But out of all the glorious things on Cybertron, the Cube is its diamond, if all else is considered roughness."
    "Yeah, all the planets we visit are neat but definitely not Cybertron!"
    "Anyway, a toast, to us Autobots, guardians of the Cube!"
    "I hope Ratchet, I will be your friend even when we resign as secretaries."
    "Sure Soundwave. By the way, you sacked your pupil."
    "Oh, Blackout. A lumbering fool. I hear he now serves in the army."
    "Good for him, looking for any more students?"
    "No, but there are some, very small robots, who are applying. So from small to big."
    Ratchet and Ironhide laughed at Soundwave's droll joke.