The Repair Methodology Megathread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, May 25, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Back on my old forum, instead of having "official" threads, we had "megathreads."

Anyway, I have a lot of Transformers in disrepair. This is especially distressing with my Cyberverse toys, because I love the little buggers to death, but they're beginning to show limp arms and easily disconnected legs.

So, to stave off death, I'm starting a thread for everybody to show their reperational stuff, from balljoint repair on an old Transmetal to sealing Octane's broken chestplate.

I know people like to read bold:

• Photos are welcomed, but if you include one, please clearly indicate the point that you repaired or needs to be repaired. Cell phone pictures of a balljoint are rarely helpful in my experience.
    • No repairs you're not sure of the integrity of. We don't want everyone going out and breaking their Blackzarak because your glue didn't finish drying before you took a picture.

That being said, please post anything and everything you have to know about repairing our little friends. I hope this thread takes off!

2. Fartini

Fartini Banned

Future floor finish/Pledge with Future will cure that limpness and easy disconnects. Superglue works but you're taking a fairly big risk of f'ing something up.

3. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

So does Tacky Craft glue (Gold Bottle)

4. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I remember you firmly supporting tacky glue.

5. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    No risk at all. Put on a coat, let it dry fully. Put the limb back on the ball joint and test. If still loose apply another coat. :thumbs2: 

6. Spire52

Spire52 Member

how do you fix a loose "clip" joint that is found on HFTD scout class insecticon?

[​IMG]

one of the leggs pops off when i bend it.

(its the joint in the middle left hand wing)

7. Fartini

Fartini Banned

It doesn't come off with Windex or alcohol though either. Future does and doesn't harm the plastic. It's clear acrylic paint basically but with magic in it. :D  Glues can and do but I'm not sure about the tacky craft stuff though. As it stands glue is permanent where Future isn't. Plus Future/Pledge has a million other uses. I'm almost positive it's the stuff the Junkions fixed Ultra Magnus with in the animated movie. :thumb 

Leg + Future/Pledge = fixed. The "clip" joint I'd try the same thing thing, you can always take it off easily.

8. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

I'm a fan of the Peaugh mod on RotF Skids. Shave off a bit of his backpack tab, so he can look upwards!

Apart from that, I don't do much fixing. All I've done is tighten Stockade's and Sunstreaker's shoulders and remove Crankcase's dreads.

9. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Funny, because my Crankcase's dreads came off and I can't get 'em back on. Damn clear plastic, with its low tolerances.

10. AutobotSkids

AutobotSkids G1/Bay Lover

Did they break clean off?

11. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Clean into three pieces, yes.

12. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Just reviving this a bit, but what do I do for tightening swivel joints? My FE Bulkhead's arm swivel joint is so weak that he can't lift his arm or wrecking ball.