The Relationship Between Toy and Character

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, May 14, 2010.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

How important is it to you?

Will you tolerate a poor figure because it represents a character in a cartoon/comic/movie that you like or find cool? Do you go for toys because they are great figures, even if they have no background at all in any media?

I'm a bit of both, with the exception of Beast Wars. In general, I have no great love for organic alt modes, HOWEVER...

The characters in BW hold such a special place in my heart that I must own the toys of those featured in the show. I almost think the toys could be shameful piles of junk and I would still love them pecause of the personality they evoke for me.

The same, I think, goes for Animated.

I think by and large that is my general outlook on collecting. Characters first, toys second. That said, it is rare to find a character in toy form who has never been seen is any TF fiction at all. OK, some of the movie figures can fit into this category, but you will often find they pop up in a comic or novelisation at some point down the line.

Anyone got any examples of great TF toys who are rarely, if ever seen on screen or page?

What are people's attitudes in general to the relationship between fictional character and the toy representation?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I go with the "character first, toy second" approach too. I'll pretty much buy any Prime or Soundwave even if the toy is dumb (I own Titanium & RoTF Soundwave). I buy a lot of random toys/characters if I think the toy looks cool though (never a Mindwipe fan, but thought the jet mode was badass so I bought it).

3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Both here. There are a few characters who don't have the best toys, yet I got them all the same. However, there are far more toys who don't have an on-screen counterpart that I enjoy quite a bit.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toys over characters for me. However, a bad toy can be compensated for by being an really interesting character, but this doesn't happen that often for me. Primal Prime and the official Nexus Prime configuration come to mind.

I like Primes.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

TOY FIRST character second, with the exceptions of a few, that is how i am.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    G1 Skyfire.... I wanted this toy bad as a kid and in reality, he only showed up in 4 episodes at most? maybe 5 and the toy wasn't even Skyfire, it was jetfire who looked nothing like his show counterpart.

However, will I tolerate a poor toy for an awesome character? nope... Thats why most of my G1 stuff is now sold. I like most of the G1 characters and would love to own their toys but the figures are just bad.

for example
    G1 Galvatron- I've owned the reissue twice now and sold it each time. Terrible toy for such a great character

Any G1 Headmaster- I love all the articulation on the Headmasters but the toys couldn't get any of that love? Chromedome is the worse.... brought them all and sold them shortly afterwards

G1 Abominus- Hun-Grr is a prime example of what they could do in the 80's. Articulated Legs, elbows, movable head... its just to bad abominus is horrible!!! Honestly, i'm not a big fan of the Scramble city combiners. One huge robot and 4 tiny friends.

Overall... its Character first, toy second.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess I do both, first time for the character, redeco because it looks good even if the redeco has little or no fictional history.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Toys over characters, but only marginally so. Characters do play a big part in affecting my purchasing decision. It's just that as the weeks go buy, I come to enjoy the toy by its own merits in contrast to its relationship with a character. As such, the character becomes less important.

9. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Character, gotta have attachment of somekind to the thing if I wanted to buy it.

Wouldn't even be into transformers without the toon back in the day. Cept for Drift, I'd want him whether I saw him in the comic or not, everyone else I want from various points of tf history, like season 1-2 bots, the wreckers, season 3 bots, and maybe random others scattered throughout that were heavy hitters in the comics.

Same reason I want an armored Sari figure, and Verity wreckers armor figure.
    It's a fine line of media representation, or standalone coolness factor. I like to think hasbro aims for both unified lately.

Cause ditto on the bricks, I sold mine off, in favor of more poseable modern representations. But again, modern representations of characters I like.
    I hate old jetfire too. I wanted skyfire. Now I have classics Skyfire. Jetfire as far as I'm concerned was a nightmare due to skyfire's twin brother getting the toy deal behind skyfire's back when skyfire signed for the g1 toon deal. >.> Jetfire isn't skyfire, has kept me okay during the anime nightmare.

10. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I go back and forth. I used to only be interested in characters I was familiar with. I can actually point to my first toy that had no fiction at the time...Ransack. That opened the floodgates.

Now I'm entering a choosier phase, where both toy and character matter to me. For instance, I like Bruticus all right and all, but the Fansproject version gives me goosebumps. A fantastic toy of an ok character will definitely catch my eye. Conversely, Universe Galvatron is a wretched piece of plastic indeed, but he's staying on my shelf because with that head and that cannon, he's Galvatron in all his crazy glory.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I have a method to my madness when collecting. I collect all show characters from an American series and G1 inspired figures (Alts, MP, Classicverse)

So I am definately Character over toy. The most perfect example of this is Optimal Optimus. I saw him on the shelf before watching the show and thought the figure was a mess. Saw him on the show and fell in love. Characterization adds so much to a toy even if the actual toy looks like a$$.

Drift will be the first non show character I buy. Sweet mould with a BFSword.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

12. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Toy First.

There have been so many Transformers toys that have been released which have not been in any media, shape or form. Yet the toy itself could actually be fantastic and fun. I'm not gonna deny myself something that could be a great toy simply because the character has either not been established at all, or might have had a so so personality.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Character matters for me. I've found I have a hard time enjoying a figure devoid of personality, or of an awful character(take a guess). For example, I'm one of the few who loves Universe 2.0 Cheetor, but my reaction to ROTF Brawn is just "meh".

A toy doesn't need an existing character for me to like it, though. The PC Combiners line has me interested. I think it's because the molds themselves have character, if anyone knows what I mean.

14. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Toy >>>>>> Character.

Character just explains the design choices

15. Unfall

Unfall Shattered Glass

Personality doesn't do much for me, unless the character has a terrible one (Mudflap/Skids). The toy is really the most important part, if it looks nice I'll probably pick it up, and if it has a dumb bio I'll change it in my mind (ROTF Dirge).

16. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    For me first and foremost its the character. Whether that character comes from cartoon, comic, bio or other form doesn't matter long as I like. If I love the character and the toy is shite I'm more likely to get it any way as opposed to liking the toy and not familiar with the character or character non existence.