The Recommend Some Shows Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rigas, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I are in the market for some new shows, and quiet frankly I'm finding it difficult as always to find ones that are both new to us, and something we want to watch. Its just daunting with so many shows out there.

Most specifically TV boards I glanced at just get the "Watch the new hit primetime TV show on whatever channel" which sometimes interests me but not always. We enjoy a variety of entertainment, and since we are living in the future its relatively easy to track down this entertainment for consumption.

So my TFW friends I propose this thread, where we can recommend good tv, to the rest of us, or just come asking for recommendations. like "I feel like a romantic sitcom set in ancient Egypt" and someone could suggest something.

Hopefully this great project succeeds.

So I'll go first lately we have been watching Primeval and Outcasts and I recommend them booth highly if you like Sci-Fi with British accents.

Sadly Outcasts is only slated for 8 episodes and we are coming to an end of Primeval Season 4.

Those are my recommendations for you.

Do you have any for me?
    Don't really have a specific genre in mind, just good TV.

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Deadwood /thread

3. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I've actually really gotten into Community, and not just because Alison Brie is adorable. They've put together a fun cast that has a lot of chemistry with one another, and I think Joel McHale is going to be a pretty big star here in a few years.

Another show I've found myself enjoying is Michio Kaku's Sci-Fi Science. Basically, in each episode, Kaku takes a sci-fi concept(like, say, the Death Star or even Transformers) and tries to create real world science behind it. It can be a little corny sometimes, but it's a fun watch.

And finally, gotta go animation here and say Generator Rex, which is the one show on TV right now that consistently makes me feel like a little kid when I watch it. It's just FUN.

4. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    The new show I watch is Chicago Code, cop drama, but if told right it never gets old. I really dig it.

I can't be too much help, as I don't have cable. If I could pick my channels on cable then I will have it, but I'm paying for oxygen channel, never watch.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Firefly.

6. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

-Dexter
    -Castle
    -The Office -US and UK
    -That 70's Show
    -Farscape
    -MST3K

7. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

New Shows:
    The Chicago Code
    Modern Family
    Community
    Parks and Rec
    Perfect Couples

Older:
    Freaks and Geeks
    The Office (UK and US)
    30 Rock
    Entourage
    Arrested Development

8. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Justified on FX is quite entertaining if you are interested in cop shows.
    Big Bang Theory is quirky and fun and is bound to be around much longer than Two and a Half Men (same creator).

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Community - Fun show with lots of humor

Big Bang Theory - total nerd show

Fairly Legal - just started a few weeks ago. Kate is legal mediator. She tries to solve legal disputes. Her father died recently and her step mother (who looks to be only about 10 years or so older) now runs the firm. Kate has a Wizard of Oz theme with her ring tones. Wicked Witch theme for step mom, Tin Man for her DA ex-hubby, Scarecrow for ex-lawyer-now-stay-at-home-dad brother, and lion for Leo her assistant/secretary.

Royal Pains - Hank is a concierge doctor to the rich and not so rich of the Hamptons. He is a bit of a know it all but the brother Evan is a bit of an idiot and the CEO of their little medical firm. His little spars with Divia the physicians assistant are fun.

Burn Notice - just pick up from the start and watch. Great show.

White Collar - Ex-fellon (forger) Neil Caffrey is given release from jail to help FBI track and take down criminals. Good stuff. Also has Tiffany Theissen (Kelly Kapowski from Saved by The Bell) as the FBI agents wife.

Dexter - Serial killer who kills the scum of society and works for the Miami police by day in the Forensics division.

10. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Oh, almost forgot, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of the funniest shows on TV that nobody's ever heard about.

11. Tommybg2003

Tommybg2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm addicted to the new show Shameless. I'm a fan of William H Macy and the show is just great :) 

edit: the new 2011 one.

edit2: Summary: Meet the fabulously dysfunctional Gallagher family. Dad's a drunk(William H Macy), Mom split long ago, eldest daughter Fiona tries to hold the family together. Eldest son Philip trades his physics tutoring skills for sexual favors from neighborhood girls. Middle son Ian is gay. Youngest daughter Debbie is stealing money from her UNICEF collection. Ten-year-old Carl is a budding sociopath and an arsonist, and toddler Liam is - well, he might actually be black, but nobody has a clue how.

12. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

My favorite show on TV right now is Fringe.A couple of my other favorite action shows are The Walking Dead,V,and Chuck.
    As far as comedies go,you can't beat Modern Family.Raising Hope is also pretty funny.

13. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I highly suggest Dexter, Rescue Me, and Lie to Me. They're excellent. A lot of the TLC/History channel stuff is cool too like Dirty Jobs, American Pickers, and Pawn Stars.

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    If you can find it:

Phoenix, series 1 and series 2.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have cable (free over-the-air HD only) and haven't watched much new stuff. The only shows I never miss are Fringe and Amazing Race. Fringe is a very good sci-fi show with a lot of unique concepts, five very well-developed lead characters (Peter, Walter, Olivia, Fauxlivia, Walternate) and generally good acting. The only major flaws with the series are that it seems to have trouble balancing case-of-the-week with mythology, most of the characters aside from the leads are flat and there's a rather dull romantic subplot that has been gradually taking over more and more of the show this season. Amazing Race is reality, so a lot of people are probably going to discount it just based on that. However, it's quite entertaining and requires a good combination of skill and luck for teams to do well. This season is also the first to be filmed in HD and the locations they visit look amazing.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Breaking Bad is my favorite show on TV right now.

If you want to go for something a bit older, try Cracker (the UK version). It's probably the best cop show ever.

17. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    I'll second the Deadwood recommendation, even if the ending wasn't entirely satisfying. It's brilliant. (For HBO programs, Six Feet Under was also excellent and the first season of Broadway Empire was promising.)

Also, if you're into cop shows, The Wire and its predecessor, Homicide: Life on the Street are both wonderful. They're also arguably the two greatest cop shows ever created. (Both, not coincidentally, by David Simon.)

For current shows, Breaking Bad is probably my favorite, but do enjoy Justified and Fringe. The new season of Breaking Bad starts this summer so you have some time to watch the first three before it begins.

18. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    The Guild is a very funny web series about a group of people addicted to playing a World of Warcraft-like online game. The episodes range from 3 to 10 minutes in length but it plays a lot better in one sitting via Netflix or DVD. There are four seasons so far. Season one looks ridiculously cheap because it was funded almost entirely via fans' paypal donations. By season two the actors really hit their stride and the quality of the production improved by leaps.

Eureka on Syfy is also excellent and a lot of fun. The premise is that the US Government has established a small town in the Pacific Northwest that houses many of the top scientific minds in the world and a former US Marshall now serves as the town's Sheriff to help keep things in order. Good comedy! While the plot of most episodes is pretty much the same: Scientific experiment goes horribly wrong leading to potential end of the world situations and Sheriff Carter has to deal with the fallout, the best part of the show is the characters and how they interact with each other. The scientific details of any given episode don't really matter.

The recent Battlestar Galactica series was probably the single best show I've ever seen. It redefined science fiction TV and I really can't put into words how good it was, so I'll just stop there.

19. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I think the best two shows I've seen in the last two years are:

Misfits
    Being Human(UK version)

And if you have never watched the animated show Avatar: The Last Airbender you really should. It's great for all ages and intellects and is probably the greatest western animated show ever made as far as the storyline and depth of the characters.

Honorable mentions:

Sons of Anarchy
    The Big Bang Theory
    South Park
    Breaking Bad

20. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    No ones ever heard about?
    There's always a damn commercial on for that show...