The recent onslaught of duplicate threads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Socialvegetable, May 1, 2009.

1. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    So, I thought there was a rule (unspoken or not)about checking to see if a post exists before creating a new one. Lately, though, the movie forum has been full of duplicate "OMG ___ in the trailer SPOILERS!!!!!!" posts over and over. Is there no way to enforce this rule, or perhaps encourage newer users to search the boards before posting? I think it's great that the site's population is exploding these days, but with that growth comes a swell of repetitive posts.

I also feel as though the average user age has dropped immensely in the past few months. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Mods, this is in no way intended to be flamebaiting, so please delete if you see fit, I was just wondering if there's anyway to stem the repetition. I've also seen like 20 different posts for the onion's article on Bay taking the Thundercats to the litter pan.

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    it's all the newbies and the teenager noobs who have all signed up in the last few months because of ROTF. they don't know what the hell they're doing.

i feel and have brought to the moderators' attention that the movie discussion forum especially has a SERIOUS lack of moderation happening.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    tis the god convoy's honest truth!

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

There will always be duplicate threads. The reasons vary from not searching, to not searching for the right things, or just plain missing the other thread. Everyone makes mistakes, that's just the way life is.

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I did it today..to be honest I was a bit sleepy, checked poorly AND WAS EXCITED about what I found.

Although I do surf quite alot of time on this board, I don't always read all threads, in this case I was completely oblivious to the fact multiple threads already existed.

So it's not always newbies or kids..;) 

7. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Ah, good ole' Poho. You know how to make a point.

Yeah, I too am aware of the many, MANY new people coming to these boards because of the films. Maybe we should create an educational video? I can be in charge of the sock puppets!

8. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah but people make mistakes it happens if the search button isnt used then yes we get multiple postings. The threads just get merrged as far as the youth on the board that was only going to happen as our name gets out there more.

9. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

You think it is bad now just wait until a week or two after the movie is released. The boards got mega crazy after the first movie came out and was a hit. Prepare for Armageddon.

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Posting And You... | Flash Videos

Can't say I've noticed a problem, but meh.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't understand the big deal. Who cares. It's not like there haven't been so many "who's your favorite and why?" threads or others like it. It's just a apart of being on a busy forum. Be glad there are so many people that it's hard to keep up. Sure beats asking a question, then waiting 2 days for a response.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Every time a movie comes out, popularity explodes and you get an influx of new users ranging in various ages (this time around we seem to have gotten a pretty large young crowd). It's up to you guys to be accepting and welcoming and patient as they learn the ropes.

As for the movie forum moderation?

Use the "Report a Post" feature, or this: [​IMG] ... and it will alert us to the post in question. That forum is one of the busiest on the site, and it's not always easy to keep up on it.

13. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I can understand if the topic was 3 pages old. But if you used the search function, you get too much of what you asked for, I.E. Does anyone knows when the new Blu-Ray Transformers movie is coming out , the ones with the possible IMAX scenes. I tried looking it up, but I get freaking ROTF hits instead

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Y'all (Poho, Eric, Mechafire, etc.) need to all remember that y'all were young once also.

Are young'n posters a lil' grating? Sometimes, sure. But come on. You want this franchise to be around and big in twenty years, you oughta be happy that there's lots of new blood coming in. Without that, Transformers will end up being like...I dunno, a fan of M.A.S.K or Dinoriders nowadays. Talking about the good ol' days and wondering if anything will ever happen with it again.

I'm just saying, a lil' more patience and understanding with young fans would be cool--help them learn the stuff you already learned and the fandom'll be that much better for it down the road.

'Cause who wants to be a M.A.S.K. fan?

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'm a M.A.S.K. fan you fucker.

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    lol

17. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    Well I find this very annoying, and have done this once or twice on accident but I think using one emoticon without anything else, or just saying 'This', or posting *facepalm* should be ridden of first because that's not really helping anything and it's not useful to discussions and frankly quite annoying. But this will go away or die down a little at the end of the year I predict.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'd rather have the duplicates of recent threads and have them merged than the posting in a thread that is 2-3 years old...

19. PyroniusRex

PyroniusRex Banned

News Credits:
    That sounds very logical, I never see merging happen around here though.

20. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

You know the one thing that bugs me? People quoting pictures in the "pics of your..." threads, even though the original is within the last couple of instances. Hell, some people are doing it even when the picture is right above their post. It's the sort of thing that shouldn't need to be a written rule, you just don't do it.