The recent innovation in Transformer weapon wielding.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, May 12, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    WFC Bumblebee. Perceptor. Wreck Gar. G2 Prime. WFC Cliffjumper. Kup. Wheeljack. Tracks. Jazz. Skullgrin. Darkmount.
    They all have something in common... hands that are moulded to hold weapons, but have open fingers. As opposed to closed fists, which do you prefer?
    The open hands have been reported to be easily stressed. Leading to stress marks, and in some cases, breakage. So without doubt, closed fists are the more sturdy option. But in the same breath, open hands are much more expressive. And can lead to more dynamic poses.
    So... which do you prefer? Durability, or expression?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    WFC Bumblebee mold won't have a risk of hand breaking, I'ts different to say RtS Wreck Gar. I actually prefer the closed fists, so they can use eachother's guns.

3. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both open and closed fists have their advantages and disadvantages, as you said. Open provides more expression, while closed gives more strength. That's why I'm going right down the middle with Darkmount's hinge-fists. Being able to fold the fingers out from the palm is a welcome idea. Provides the strength of a closed fist, but at the same time allows for the expressiveness of an open fist.

4. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

I just like that they have actual guns included. The Kup and Blurr accessories are awesome. Reminds of G1 again, where the weapon was its own thing, not some weird attachment of the figure that didnt even resemble a weapon.

5. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I prefer closed fists. I usually have my toys displayed in battle scenes. I like being able to put them in fist fights. Also, the clenched fists make them look more like they're getting ready to fight if they're posed a little ways away...

6. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

I prefer open hands that can still hold weapons.

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Personally, I prefer having the weapons attached to the TF. Given that they're robots with highly adaptable bodies, it just makes more sense to me. This way they can use their weapons easier and faster. And they can't lose them as easily...

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I prefer open hands. I don't really care if a TF has a weapon or not.

9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Open hands look more natural, but there are too many downsides, like not being able to hold certain weapons (Perceptor) or the hands being sized too small (Kup). Weapon integration is a bonus, not a requirement.

10. Inverse Midas

Inverse Midas Jettisoning weight!

I personally like the open handed look. I can see what people are saying about how it poses a problem for weapon mixing, though.

11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like the open handed look too, despite the noted drawbacks. I think the problems with open hands could be rectified.

It's kind of a shame the DotM toys didn't jump on board with it. But I guess they are trying to look more like integrated weaponry.

12. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    I like the open hands, I just wish they were all standard sized grips. (I'm looking at you Drift and Blurr!)

13. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Aaaaand...Que MechTech!

14. ExVeeBrawn

ExVeeBrawn Three dollar Nazi

News Credits:
    Darkmount (and Skullgrin) have my favorite hand design for practicality. They hold 5mm grips just fine, and the movable finger block lets them grasp a wide range of other objects as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Well, out of that entire list, the only figure I own that have stress marks in the open hand is G2 Prime. Even my Wreck-Gar has yet to develop stress marks. So I am really enjoying the open hand look instead of the balled up fist of rage. Bring more out!

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    closed fists, too many stress marks on the open hands and none on the closed fist

17. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    What's all this talk about stress marks on the open-handed figures? None of mine are showing that.

To contribute, I like the open hands. They add a lot of life to the figures.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm fine with both variations. Haven't had any issues with the open handed figures getting stress marks or breaking, tbh. It really depends on what works for the specific figure. Some work better with a closed fist, while others would look better with an open hand.

The one thing that does bother me, are hands that are completely useless for anything. It's the one issue I have with RotF Voyager Defender Prime. Though in his case, it does help that his guns can be positioned in a way that it looks like his hands could be holding them. It's not a big enough issue that I'll stay away from a figure because it's hands are useless, but it is a factor I keep in mind when thinking about the figure in general.

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

The open fists on Special Ops Jazz make it possible for him to use Animated Jazz's nunchaku. If they were closed, it wouldn't work.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I greatly prefer closed fists. Not fond of stressed open hands or having to modify either the open hands or the weapons so they don't result in damage from just a single insertion of the weapon.
    Although I feel the pin hinged hands of Darkmount go some way to umproving things I'm not really fond of pin joints in small parts, like hands. The pinned wrists of RtS G2 Optimus worry me, so along with his open hands that's a double whammy.
    If they must have open hands then give the figure flip around hands that can be changed from closed to open, kinda like how Universe Dinobot could be swapped between claw hands and robot fists.

At the very least there should be better choices of plastics used for the open hands, ones that have a little more give to them without breaking out into a stressmark when under the normal pressure of the insertion of a weapon. Also perhaps greater care when it comes to size tolerances so the fit is still good but not too tight. Obviously there are production tolerances that occur during molding, but if the job is done right when designing those can be taken into account and allowed for.